INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting a little free library...

5 posters

Go down

Starting a little free library... Empty Starting a little free library...

Post by Carry Bean Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 am

This idea intrigues me.  I read about a lady who had a 116 year old tree in her yard that was dying so she had it cut down but left it tall enough so that she could hollow out the trunk and put shelves and a roof on it.  She stocked it with both adult and children’s books so it mitigated the loss of the magnificent old tree.

There’s a whole organization dedicated to the idea of free little libraries all across the country.  Take a book, leave a book.  Have Hammers could build it since I don’t have any ancient dying trees and I’d have to find a source for books in Spanish.  Children’s books aren’t very expensive, though.  There is a decent amount of foot traffic on my street.  Doable?

https://littlefreelibrary.org/start/

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/little-free-library-plans-1357149

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Starting a little free library... Empty Re: Starting a little free library...

Post by CHILLIN Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Good idea! I live in Chapala Haciendas, as do you?. Those young types going into what looks like mailboxes will get a call to Security. Then the Saturday crusaders will edit your library and leave only religious reading materials. Overcome that, and I'm in!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:29 pm

No, I’m in Riberas. I’m going to figure out which building plan I could sort of make look Mexican. Once registered with the free library site you get a sign to put on it. Books are out of reach for some Mexicans so I will need to get some Spanish books for kids and teens. Not worried so much about gringo books since so many are available in the resale shops, Kindle, etc.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Generally, Mexicans aren't readers. Not even of their own award-winning authors. Maybe if the kids could get interested in reading this would change. In South America I saw lots of people reading, everywhere.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Judging by some of the prices I saw on Amazon Mexico, I can see why they aren’t readers.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:57 pm

What a fine idea, CB. Where do you intend to put this little library? Who are you targeting, Spanish readers or English readers?

If you're targeting Spanish readers, kids, maybe on the plaza in SAT would be a good location?

Agree that as a rule Mexicans don't read. Sadly. TV rules the homes of my neighbors. All day and night.

BTW, Carry Bean, El Bajio on this board put a little library together in SJC, do a search for her recent posts on it she has lots of info.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Actually, TR I got the idea from you when you were trying to get that girl interested in reading.

I thought I’d get children’s books as I see women walking children to school on my street and I have a strip of grass in front of my sidewalk where it could go but anyone passing could take a book for their child. I’m guessing there often isn’t a lot of pesos in the budget for books that are just for fun which might explain why many Mexicans aren’t into reading. That has to start young.

I remember my mother taking me to the library when I was maybe 6 or 7 and telling me I could take any book I wanted and I felt rich!

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:03 pm

Wonderful idea, do it! If you need help, let me know.

I buy great Spanish kids books and fun books for my maid's granddaughter at WM. She is 5 and she loves the books. They contain stories, puzzles, things to color etc.

There is a unusual bazaar on the carretera in SJC that used to be in Chapala. The woman used to be a distributor for kids books to schools.

I might be wrong but I don't think this country has a lot of book stores either.

I remember that feeling too when I walked out of the library with a stack of books as a kid.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:51 am

In larger cities there are lots ofbooks and also book fairs but books can be expensive.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am

I've been to book fairs in Guad, Joco, and Chapala and they were pretty skimpy. Like B said, I thought the books expensive too. There were no big crowds attending but there were small clumps of clearly avid readers enthusiastically searching through all the offerings.

Had a thought . . .reading is an individual and kind of isolating pastime and I wonder if a family would encourage a child to go off by themselves with their nose in a book for hours. I think not, I think they would prefer the child to sit and watch tv with the family. Probably depends on the education level of the family. My maid was bummed one day when she was leaving and said she had to go home to an empty house for a few hours. I said - great! You can relax and read a book or something until the others get home! She looked at me with horror.

Carry, El Bajio is a friend, would you like to go out and talk to her about her experience and advice creating the little kids library in SJC? Be happy to take you out there. I love this idea. Where are you thinking of getting the books?

BTW, thanks to Wide Sky, my friend Ana got a nice kindle paperwhite gifted and was thrilled.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Sure thing, TR in a couple of weeks.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Cool, send PM with possible dates and I'll contact her.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks. Will do in a couple days. Phone and internet down since yesterday. At BlackCoffee now.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm

How about having it at a school?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:31 pm

No, I want it where I can keep an eye on it and restock, etc.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down