INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you personally use cloud storage.

+7
REC
DaveP
Trailrunner
Jreboll
CanuckBob
ltollefs
Problem Child
11 posters

Go down

Do you personally use cloud storage. Empty Do you personally use cloud storage.

Post by Problem Child Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:39 am

I do my file backups on a 1-T external drive, but it's random. I have now figured out that I need a cloud backup.If I lose my computer HD and there is no current backup-it could be more than a major disaster.

Even though my first computer was the original Osborn, I know maybe 10% about computers.

I want to get a cloud account, but I can't find any in-depth instructions on how it works from the "Push this key and then do xxxxx. I find a lot of info for developers and storage between different platforms (no idea) what that means, nothing for someone who just wants to save files and pictures.

So does the account come with idiot friendly instructions for the non-computer geek? I don't want to have to take a class to understand what I physically do.

Thanks.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Do you personally use cloud storage. Empty Re: Do you personally use cloud storage.

Post by ltollefs Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 am

I think what you're really looking for here is something akin to magic. Unfortunately, magic doesn't exist. However, to answer your rather disingenuous question, here's the first result of my first search...

https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/ Be aware that once your data is in the cloud, privacy is non-existent. You pays your money (or not) and you takes your chances.

I'll post this as well in the ever vanishing hope that you can learn two things in one day...

ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Do you personally use cloud storage. Empty Re: Do you personally use cloud storage.

Post by Problem Child Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30 am

[quote="ltollefs" . However, to answer your rather disingenuous question,

I'll post this as well in the ever vanishing hope that you can learn two things in one day...

[/quote]

I take exception to your saying my question is disingenuous. It was posted in good good faith. Here is what that  word means. "Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does."
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked for help. Your response didn't reply to my question.

I have no idea the relevance of the videos.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 am

ltollefs wrote:You're a parasite PC and judging by your need to lookup the meaning of a word as pedestrian as disingenuous, I'd say an idiot, too. I thought all you lawyer types prided yourselves on your sesquipedalianism.

If you have a need for attention and to trash me, please do it in PM.

I'm hoping to get some help here, not personal comments.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:11 am

I'll stop when you do. Actions have consequences.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:16 am

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 am

Itollefs reminds me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings.  He has a nasty side when provoked.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am

I'm not really sure how my post provoked the response.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 am

Gollum was provoked when he thought he had the upper hand, otherwise he would revert to his meek self.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:16 am

Itollefs, abide the rules, he's not worth it, I like your posts and would hate to see you get shut out. Just foe/ignore him like most of us.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 am

I looked at various "professional" cloud backup options last year and was not impressed by how long it might take to get files returned if needed. Sometimes days for them to send the backup copy back to you and then it may be an image file. Ongoing cost was a factor also.
I ended up buying a 1T external drive and a backup program I thought might fit me needs. Cost of drive about 1000 pesos and about 40US for the program.
Files are stored in condensed format (zip). I have it set up to backup at 6am each day. 6 incremental backups then a full one so I can go back and see files as far back as  I keep the backups.
Works for me. The only change I would make is to go to network backup but that is still fairly costly.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by REC Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:23 am

Here are a couple of options.

Dropbox has some other features but it is effective as a cloud backup solution. You set it up once - very easy - just download the application and sign up. It will then copy all the files in the folder you setup - again very easy - to their service. After that, whenever a file is added or an existing file is edited it will copy up to their server automatically and essentially immediately.

If you need to restore your data - maybe to a new computer - you simply download the application on the new computer. It immediately starts downloading your files to the new computer.

You can have several computers linked to your account - which is what I do. If something is changed on one computer it is changed on all the linked computers. Automatically.

Another option is Carbonite. Similar automatic upload to the cloud but don't think it has the ability to link several computers.

I suggest taking a look at Dropbox. They even have a free plan that may be all you need. I've been using it for almost 10 years.

REC

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:24 pm

i just use iCloud for storing a gazillion images. Dropbox sounds good
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by REC Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/basic

REC

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 am

I've used Dropbox (premium) for years, and it has saved my bacon more time than I can remember. Since I also use Mac Time Machine, I'm pretty fully covered.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave W. Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Windows 10 comes with OneDrive, which is Microsoft's cloud storage. Not sure how much storage you get for free. Google a few 'how to' videos on its use. I use it all the time for keeping documents and spreadsheets in case my computer craps out...which happens every 3 years or so down here. Gotta be the humidity.....maybe. Basically, you take anything important and put them in the OneDrive folder on your computer. You then have a copy on your computer. If you set OneDrive up so that it's always running, then all your files/folders will be automatically uploaded as you add or change them. The only glitch I had is when I started another computer and it went to the OneDrive online part and undid some of my updates. I'm calling that my fault for not being careful enough. Every once in a while I'll copy my OneDrive folder onto an external drive....just in case.

Dave W.

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCharles Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:31 pm

I've used Microsoft OneDrive for many years. Works very well for me.

MikeCharles

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down