INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'll have a beef patty - - - hold the water.

3 posters

Go down

I'll have a beef patty  - - - hold the water. Empty I'll have a beef patty - - - hold the water.

Post by Problem Child Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 am

Yes, I am a cheap S.O.B. (Sweet Old Boy). I usually get my ground been at the Muni Market in Chapala.

Yesterday, I was at WM and they had s good price on "ground beef." I got two packages and put them in the fridge, not the freezer.

Took them out this morning to repackage them and a close look showed not ground beef, but some kind of beef slurry. I inspected further.

I didn't need a Mass Spec to quickly determine there was a large amount of water (and I know the difference between water, blood and beef juice) had been added. When I tried to cook a patty for a breakfast burger, It wouldn't hold together, and when I pressed it with a spatula, what came out boiled and evaporated (water does that).

So if it matters to you, look carefully at any pre-packaged beef you buy.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I'll have a beef patty  - - - hold the water. Empty Re: I'll have a beef patty - - - hold the water.

Post by CanuckBob Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am

I had the exact same experience with some ground beef I bought at Walmart. It's like they put frozen beef in the grinder or something.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

I'll have a beef patty  - - - hold the water. Empty Re: I'll have a beef patty - - - hold the water.

Post by Problem Child Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:10 am

CanuckBob wrote:I had the exact same experience with some ground beef I bought at Walmart. It's like they put frozen beef in the grinder or something.

You live close to the Muni Market, do you shop there?

BTW, same genre with eggs. At the Muni Market they sell by weight; at WM, Soriano, they sell by the package. I have seen some eggs at WM that were the size of quail eggs.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am

I don't consider Ajijic to be close to the Chapala Muni market so no I don't shop there.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:14 am

CanuckBob wrote:I don't consider Ajijic to be close to the Chapala Muni market so no I don't shop there.

Another error by me. I thought you did.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 am

My negative experiences with the meat from WM were enough to stop buying it there long ago. Between the date changing and the gray stuff lightly covered with red stuff, I have zero trust in it.

I'm reasonably happy with Tony's market, but I don't buy "hamburger" there, either. I buy the sirloin pieces and have them grind it. Makes fine burgers. But then, I like 'em lean.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 am

Some markets and other sellers, as well as those NOB, have turned selling to the public into a fine art of creating the consumers.

I worry more about health than price.

And right-on Gringal on that red covered stuff to disguise outdated chicken that wouldn't pass the sniff-test of any decent cook.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 pm

I am very health conscious and believe that it's better to spend more money on quality food than on drugs to cure your ailments.  The burgers I make from the ground sirloin are a budget saver as well, in an area where the restaurants feel comfortable offering a good burger for over $100 pesos.  Granted, this includes fries, but I think most people could agree that fries are the unhealthiest way to eat potatoes. (And to get good and fat).
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down