INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health Insurance for an 88 y/o

+5
CanuckBob
CHILLIN
Trailrunner
Carry Bean
caligirl108
9 posters

Go down

Health Insurance for an 88 y/o Empty Health Insurance for an 88 y/o

Post by caligirl108 Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am

A friend is moving Mom down & is checking health insurances, so I checked past threads re: best company et al. Bellon - Met Life does seem to be a consistently favored recommendation, so I told him that.. Anyway, any thoughts or considerations you might have re: a new policy for an 88 year old, healthy female? Because of actuarial tables, it is going to be more costly than for 60-70 y/o.. any current experience out there.... ? Gracias PM me or post.. your choice Very Happy

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Health Insurance for an 88 y/o Empty Re: Health Insurance for an 88 y/o

Post by Carry Bean Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

I suspect MetLife might not take her at that age but Bellon pretty much has policies for every person. She might look into evacuation plans and keep herMedicare if from the States.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am

Does she take any medicines or have any pre-existing diseases at all? I imagine Seguro Popular may be the only option.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

The Bellon family had to put their own elderly Mother on a Mexican private health care because the other premiums were just too much for them. He did not like this insurance carrier at all. This was before Seguro Popular enrolled enough members to become Mexican public health care, so who knows what the situation is now. I have personally witnessed the palliative and senior care at Occidente General Hospital, it is excellent, and they have recently opened a whole new wing partially dedicated to senior care across Jalisco. It accepts Seguro Popular insurance, which is a mix between free and user pay for some items. It will eventually be rolled into IMSS, and there will be an annual fee for family coverage. The big question is if she has to be a permanent resident to become a member. At present, in Jalisco, she does not and at this time coverage is free for three years after 60 years old.

The Occidente hospital also has a lot of volunteers. It takes a long time to get "vetted" but if you were visiting the Mother while in care, you could also be of great comfort talking to those other senior patients who mostly speak English. There is not too many of them, but still. English books, magazines, etc. would also be welcome. Just planting a seed!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I had some friends check for their parents that are in their early 80's. Premiums were 15k USD each per year.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Check with Bellon on Plan Seguro (not Seguro Popular) Plan Seguro will take people over 70 but it depends on pre-existing conditions and the condition the person is in at the time of application.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I had some friends check for their parents that are in their early 80's. Premiums were 15k USD each per year.

Are you talking about here in Jalisco/Mexico?

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 am

Yes, that excluded the USA.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 am

CanuckBob wrote:Yes, that excluded the USA.

You mean US$15,000 for coverage in Mexico?

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am

Insurance premiums rise rapidly with age. They inquired about an octogenarian.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 am

as I have said before, other than an emergency, if I needed something that would be very expensive here, I would get stabilized and get on  plane to go NOB.

IMO, the biggest advantage of NOB care is accountability; here there is little if any.

I read a story a week ago about a Mexican woman whose newborn died because of negligence in the hospital. She went to file a claim for the death and was told it was too late, the claim had to be filed within THREE DAYS of the death/incident. I did a double take on that one.

I second the vote on Seguro Popular. We signed up for and got it 2-3 years ago but never used it. I think we will go back and make sure we are covered or if there is anything we missed.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

Problem Child wrote:as I have said before, other than an emergency, if I needed something that would be very expensive here, I would get stabilized and get on  plane to go NOB................

That sounds good, but 'stable' does not mean that you can walk, talk, or think clearly, or that you would be accepted on a commercial flight as a passenger. Currently, I would be unable to get to an airport, walk about, board a plane, etc., without oxygen, a wheelchair, and an attendant. Do you have an oxygen concentrator that is approved for airline use? I don't. They do not accept oxygen bottles. All of my Mexican medical interventions, in hospitals, got me as stable as possible and I went home to recover and adjust. No further hospitalization was required....Until the next 'event' some year or three later. That is the reality of the aging process. Every adventure's route has a fast and a slow lane, then an exit ramp. Then, there is often a stop sign. I have come to the 'Yield" sign, and will probably not call 911 again, unless there is severe pain. That is another reality to be accepted.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 am

Problem Child wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yes, that excluded the USA.

You mean US$15,000 for coverage in Mexico?

Yes, anywhere in the world except the USA. Most policies have either. If you choose to include the US it almost doubles in price.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 am

Let's hope AMLO improves on the socialized medical system here like he said he would. IMO......I wouldn't want to rely on their current system's in a life or death situation.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:02 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:That sounds good, but 'stable' does not mean that you can walk, talk, or think clearly, or that you would be accepted on a commercial flight as a passenger.  Currently, I would be unable to get to an airport, walk about, board a plane, etc., without oxygen, a wheelchair, and an attendant.  Do you have an oxygen concentrator that is approved for airline use? I don't. They do not accept oxygen bottles.  All of my Mexican medical interventions, in hospitals, got me as stable as possible and I went home to recover and adjust. No further hospitalization was required....Until the next 'event' some year or three later.  That is the reality of the aging process.  Every adventure's route has a fast and a slow lane, then an exit ramp. Then, there is often a stop sign. I have come to the 'Yield" sign, and will probably not call 911 again, unless there is severe pain.  That is another reality to be accepted.

Excellent advice, RVG, it astounds me how many people have never thought it through, have no plan whatsoever, no insurance whatsoever, are old, and are shocked when told they need medical intervention. You described the aging process and spelled it out perfectly, people should read and re-read it. Then make a plan for themselves. But most won't.

CB, what do all these Mexican ancianos you see shuffling along use for medical care? Private insurance? Seguro Social?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Probably SP or IMSS. The wealthier ones have private insurance or just pay cash at the private hospitals.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Hopefully, should that happen to "you," there will be someone to assist you or even make decisions other than pulling the plug. Maybe a spouse or significant other. Seems most people think they are at least semi-immortal. They are pretty active and other than some aches and pains, are not very limited. We also know that can change in a heartbeat -- literally.

As with 99.99% of things in this World, IMO, money talks, and those with the $$ have the access to the "best" doctors/hospitals, etc.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Out of pocket expenses in Mexico are do-able if you have set aside a medical savings account. Ours was funded by dropping Medicare Part B when we first moved here 15 years ago. At last count, it saved close to $40,000 US. I've had several hospitalizations at private hospitals and there's still a substantial "kitty" left. I carry SP "just in case" but haven't used it.
That's one choice. I'm comfortable with it, but I know that's not for everyone.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Sounds like a smart move based on math and logic.

Does S.P. give some sort of I.D. card?

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:53 pm

You get papers when you sign up. Maybe you get a card when you start using the service. Since I haven't, I don't know.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:03 pm

I was thinking of when/if you needed care STAT!, how would it be known you are covered by S.P?

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Problem Child wrote:I was thinking of when/if you needed care STAT!, how would it be known you are covered by S.P?

I would present the papers I received on sign-up.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm

gringal wrote:
Problem Child wrote:I was thinking of when/if you needed care STAT!, how would it be known you are covered by S.P?

I would present the papers I received on sign-up.

That's assuming you are in condition to give the papers.

I'm thinking of an accident situation where you are incapacitated. Often the first res ponders and/oe E.R. will check your purse/wallet for identification and any insurance or medical condition information. Here, that may be done after any $$ is removed for "safekeeping."

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down