INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Measles

+2
ltollefs
ferret
6 posters

Go down

Measles Empty Measles

Post by ferret Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 am

... is back and spreading. Luckily ,for most of us, "those that were born before 1957 are considered immune, because, largely everyone was infected at that time, when vaccines were not available".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/02/12/do-need-measles-booster-adult-vaccine-questions-answered/2846268002/
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Measles Empty Re: Measles

Post by ltollefs Thu May 02, 2019 10:59 am

What I find most tragicomical, is that a nation that is almost defined by it's herd behaviour, should have so much difficulty with the concept of herd immunity.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu May 02, 2019 12:12 pm

I remember being taken to visit a friend with measles in order to get it. Old fashioned immunization!!
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 02, 2019 12:29 pm

That's the way my mum did it too. I got to visit all my friends who were sick with measles, chicken pox, etc. and got measles, chicken pox etc.
I wonder, though, if we also had somewhat of a kickstart from our mothers who had also been exposed. The so called "childhood" diseases then seemed to be of a milder variety than exists now. Or perhaps our immune systems were already stronger because we weren't kept in such sterile germ free environments.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 02, 2019 1:35 pm

ferret wrote:That's the way my mum did it too. I got to visit all my friends who were sick with measles, chicken pox, etc. and got measles, chicken pox etc.
I wonder, though, if we also had somewhat of a kickstart from our mothers who had also been exposed. The so called "childhood" diseases then seemed to be of a milder variety than exists now. Or perhaps our immune systems were already stronger because we weren't kept in such sterile germ free environments.

From a pediatrician I knew: "she lies at my feet on a sterilized sheet cutting teeth on the tip of my shoe".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 02, 2019 1:36 pm

ferret wrote:That's the way my mum did it too. I got to visit all my friends who were sick with measles, chicken pox, etc. and got measles, chicken pox etc.

From a pediatrician I knew: "she lies at my feet on a sterilized sheet cutting teeth on the tip of my shoe".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Thu May 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:I remember being taken to visit a friend with measles  in order to get it. Old fashioned immunization!!

Yep. Mom made it sound like a party.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu May 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Gringal, You got it. My mother a geriatric and nut bar Registered Nurse, her specialities, out of Eastern Ontario, escaping "the FARM", in 1929. I have an image of her brother taking her off to that experience in his motorcycle sidecar. She GOT immunization by dirt. 1956, I drank out of a ditch in Rexdale, a suburb of TO, adjacent to our spiffy new post war subdivision. Now, maybe not so much. I found a little can, kind of cleaned it off, and drank from it. Dirt got ugly since then.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Let’s not forget that the increases in man’s longevity is more due to improvements in public sanitation than medical discoveries.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down