INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos?

+8
slainte39
CanuckBob
ferret
gringal
Wide Sky
ComputerGuy
kiko
Cincy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos? Empty Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos?

Post by Cincy Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:01 pm

I'm almost ready to make my once-every-3-month trip to Costco and was wondering if anyone had encountered any issues with police roadblocks/checking when driving from Ajijic through Jocotepec to Costco.

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos? Empty Re: Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos?

Post by kiko Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Yesterday the Joco bomberos were stopping cars at the East and West entrances to Jocotepec. If you turn onto the bypass and avoid town, then you should miss them unless they moved today. Probably a good idea to have a mask and gloves on then they may let you pass. They will ask where did you come from and where are you going.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos? Empty Re: Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos?

Post by Cincy Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:52 pm

kiko wrote:...Probably a good idea to have a mask and gloves on then they may let you pass.  They will ask where did you come from and where are you going.  
Good idea kiko! My wife though it would also be a good idea to have some proof of address like a CFE or Telmex bill to ensure we can get home to Ajijic.

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't think ex-pats are going to have any problems. We don't really look like we're trying to go on Easter vacation... 'cause we're already here. But I will be carrying my phone bill anyway.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wide Sky Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Went this morning (Monday); no problems at all going in HOWEVER huge lineup at the outlet mall checkpoint all the way back to Liverpool (about 9km). There was another check point north of Los Milagros de Dalila. Both checkpoints in the southbound lane.
Ended up taking the periferico sur rather than the libramiento back.
OH, Costco is changing its hours from 10-7. Store was well stocked and certain items had purchase limits such as canned salmon.

Wide Sky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:44 am

The Lakeside Shopping Service is the easy way to shop Costco. You order from their web site on Sunday and they deliver to your door on Wednesday for a reasonable fee. We've been using them for months, and always have a satisfactory service. These days, it's especially good to avoid the trip.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:51 am

And they can pretty much tell you in advance what you can expect in terms of Toilet Paper Syndrome. For example, I keep ordering tinned tuna but not getting it. Maybe this week. (It's not cheap, but it is so much better than the stuff from Mexican companies.) Now I've done it... a new run on tuna... damn.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:15 am

I tried the white albacore tuna from Costco and promptly went back to my favourite Mexican brand. Dolores tuna (lomo solido). It has both taste and a solid structure. In Walmart.
Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos? Tunafr10
Anyone had problems driving to and from Costco's Lopez Mateos? Tunaba10
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:28 am

Is that in the canned tuna section?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:41 am

Yes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks. That's the kind of tuna I prefer but never go to Costco.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 am

As you face the Tuna selections, it tends to be on the left side and on a higher shelf. Yeah, I like the solid tuna as opposed to the cans of flakes... half of which end up in the drain.
It's also available in oil but I prefer the one packed in water.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:36 am

ferret wrote:As you face the Tuna selections, it tends to be on the left side and on a higher shelf. Yeah, I like the solid tuna as opposed to the cans of flakes... half of which end up in the drain.

The Costo albacore tuna packed in water used to be the best, but has deteriorated into "cat food" tuna. Glad to hear about Dolores.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm

gringal wrote:
ferret wrote:As you face the Tuna selections, it tends to be on the left side and on a higher shelf. Yeah, I like the solid tuna as opposed to the cans of flakes... half of which end up in the drain.

The Costo albacore tuna packed in water used to be the best, but has deteriorated into "cat food" tuna.  Glad to hear about Dolores.

You can say that again and thought it was just me, but that Costco is nothing like what it used be. If you really want it M., I think SL might still have some.
I think we just stalled the run on Costco tuna...…. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 am

I wouldn't be going into Guadalajara right now for anything.  Big box stores, theaters and malls are breeding grounds......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 am

I think I got the only can of Dolores tuna left the other day.  A couple of giant casseroles with everything but the kitchen sink in them will keep us fed for a while.
That, along with a marathon chicken soup cookup is doing the job.  Gobs of lentils go in that one.

Damn!  I miss going out to lunch!
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am

I got the Dolores at Soriana yesterday. I'll compare it to the Kirkland. but at SL, all the tinned tuna is prohibitively expensive. Kind of odd: in a country that loves fish, such a small selection of poor tuna packages. In my home town, always a choice of at least 8 kinds, including even the generic brands.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 am

ComputerGuy wrote:I got the Dolores at Soriana yesterday. I'll compare it to the Kirkland. but at SL, all the tinned tuna is prohibitively expensive. Kind of odd: in a country that loves fish, such  a small selection of poor tuna packages. In my home town, always a choice of at least 8 kinds, including even the generic brands.

How much more is "prohibitively expensive"? The question arises, since going to Soriana from Ajijic Centro involves a considerable drive and might make up the difference between the differening prices. (Of course I realize that with Superlake closing shortly, it is a somewhat academic question.)
Dead Horse

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 am

Be sure to read the labels ...I've found that most contain soy.....

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Here's my test results on TUNA IN MEXICO

I got a large can of Great Value Yellowfin. I got a large can of Marina Azul Yellowfin. I got two regular size cans of Dolores Yellowfin. I got two regular size cans of Kirkland Albacore.

Right off the bat, the slushy large cans of Great Value and Marina Azul: identical in looks and flavour. Probably the same manufacturer. Just like the small cans of the same brand: leftover bits of tuna after the big blade has been through the fish, these are discarded bits, in far too much water.

The Dolores is about half as watery, much chunkier.

The Kirkland is solid. A little water.

I tasted them right out of the package. The Dolores is less salty than the GV and Marina Azul. The Kirkland is almost saltless in comparison. My suspicion is that's why some people prefer any tuna over the Kirkland.

I mixed them all the same: some celery, some mayo, some salt and pepper. But all in separate bowls. Then I sampled again. All are just fine, but the Kirkland has far more of a tuna taste, and it also requires a lot more mayonnaise in the mix. What that means, I don't think matters... probably because it is solid and not made up of floaty bits in water.

I much prefer the Kirkland in a sandwich or on lettuce with accoutrements  as a salad. but that's just me. And it was fun to do an actual taste test.

Then the coup de grace: added some sweet relish to all of them. Yum.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBee Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:00 pm

You should have been a Chef Very Happy

HoneyBee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Nice work CG! Each to his/her own.

I used to like salmon in a can as well... nice red sockeye salmon but I am not a fan of pink salmon. So, I had some salmon fillets (Marketside Atlantic Salmon with skin on) in the freezer and put two (thawed) wrapped in foil in my counter top oven at 350 F. for 20 minutes, then into the fridge without opening. They flaked up beautifully for toasted salmon salad sandwiches. Now I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with a medallion of frozen tuna. I don't have any frozen tuna but will check it out in the future.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Preheat oven to 375F. Season thawed tuna any way you like (WalMart carries it). Pour a little olive oil in a pan and on the tuna, and bake for 30 minutes. I add some lemon juice and baste a couple of times. Should come out flakey.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

I've done that too when I was looking for a canned tuna that I liked. I found it tasty and dry but at least you know what you're eating. I also found the Kirkland albacore to be my favorite but dry and needing the extra moisture of more mayo. At least it looked like a can of fish rather than some kind of slurry of water or oil with a token amount of fish scraps (read floor sweepings). All that was a while ago though it sounds like nothing has changed.

That was quite the taste test you did, CG! Good job. Agree with your findings.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:28 am

Ouch.....those tuna medallions just need to be thawed, then quickly seared on each side for 2 mins. Pink in the middle......hmmmm.

Funny how this thread has morphed.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next