INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iso homemade Beef Bone Broth

+4
ComputerGuy
gringal
brigitte
ferret
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

iso homemade Beef Bone Broth - Page 2 Empty Re: iso homemade Beef Bone Broth

Post by ferret Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:15 pm

To each his/her own. Backyard chicken? Uh uh, I've seen the backyard chickens HERE eat things I don't want in my soup and cubes of most concentrates are also loaded with msg which gives me headaches.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:47 pm

CHILLIN wrote:It all depends on presentation. A clear broth like strachiatella or miso. Both are 15 minute soups.
https://www.marthastewart.com/349740/stracciatella-soup

Also, lighter broths are better for braising.

The reason I add backyard chicken is because it is really fresh, corn raised, and cheaper than Puritan Poultry back and necks, believe it or not.

NO presentation. Just chicken soup. When I want a clear Asian broth I use a package mix, like most Asians I knew back home who don't have time to spend all day to do this anymore. There is a Chinatown district in my home town that has 1,000s of little surprises like this in the very many grocery stores. Just like the miso base I buy here at SuperLake.

I also disagree heartily with boiling chicken to make broth. The chicken itself imparts almost no flavour, and you end up with a bunch of overcooked chicken parts. Boiling chicken is reserved for dishes that need pre-cooked chicken in sauces and rices and vegetable plates.

(To me, stracciatella is just Chinese egg drop soup without the parmesan and spinach.)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:22 pm

'Commission' your beef bone broth from one of the vendors at the Sunrise Monday market or the Tuesday market.. They might do it for you & then also make a beef barley or some other heartier soup to retail in their weekly offerings.  Or maybe go to Mom's Deli, see if they would be interested in doing it for you - their food is pretty much from scratch. Important thing is where beef bones are sourced.

My chicken bone broth quality varies widely, depending on source. The chicken stand at the bottom of Revolution/ Wed market is my current source. I can get already cut up backs & meaty necks, couple of handfuls easily makes a quart. Throw in pot when I get home, with secret ingredient: cayenne. Close to organic quality IMO. I never got into beef bone broth much due to the antibiotics & steroids they use to marble American beef. Maybe down here you can get 'backyard' cow... lol

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pm

Forgot about those hormones in beef but I also don't know if they do that here.
I do know that there is (or was) an organic beef/pork booth at the Tuesday market because I used to buy from them when we lived in La Huerta.
There is also an organic chicken booth and another one for lamb (Maggie Gaudet). Lamb broth would be interesting with barley. Hmmmm.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:13 pm

If you are interested in barley, check out a grain mix called Farro, from Amazon.mx. It is a blend of three types of wheat kernel and is becoming popular right now as so many people are making " grain bowls" especially for lunch at work, or slimming, or both.
Based on my research, the local beef producers do not use drugs and hormones because they simply can't afford them. It is the huge feed lots in the USA who need to use these drugs to make a tiny more profit, and to counteract the illnesses of so many animals in crowded conditions. Local beef is tough though, no doubt about it.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:44 pm

I can get barley (cebada) at El granero thanks. I am thinking of a traditional Scotch Broth
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:24 am

Based on my research, the local beef producers do not use drugs and hormones because they simply can't afford them. It is the huge feed lots in the USA who need to use these drugs to make a tiny more profit, and to counteract the illnesses of so many animals in crowded conditions. Local beef is tough though, no doubt about it.[/quote]

Don't know for sure about feed lots but ranchers here in Oklahoma can no longer use antibiotics without prescription from veterinarian.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:39 am

French beef is also very tough but very tasty..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:40 am

French beef is also very tough but very tasty..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2