INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italian sausage

+7
gringal
ferret
nlu
slainte39
CanuckBob
BisbeeGal
ComputerGuy
11 posters

Go down

Italian sausage Empty Italian sausage

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 27, 2021 1:56 pm

This may be a pointless question, but I have a recipe calling for Italian sausage. I do not want to bother making it; it's not that important. Haven't seen it at Pancho's, SuperLake, WM and El Torito. Have not been into Gourmet Garage, but they all carry the same.Anybody seen it? Maybe at one of the new frozen meat shops?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Italian sausage Empty Re: Italian sausage

Post by BisbeeGal Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 pm

Best in town is at Lilifher Deli on Colon in Ajijic .  Mild or hot.  He sells frozen single links by weight.  He opens at 9 closes at 2 most days.  

Light years better than any other I've found here. His links are good sized---I get two patties out of 1 link for sausage and pepper sandwiches.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

kamcd and LuvSouth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Very good news. Thanks. Not my usual stomping grounds; had forgotten about him.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 pm

Yep, I buy Italian sausage from Lilifher all the time. It ain't cheap but its the best around here.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

ComputerGuy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 27, 2021 4:20 pm

BisbeeGal wrote:Best in town is at Lilifher Deli on Colon in Ajijic .  Mild or hot.  He sells frozen single links by weight.  He opens at 9 closes at 2 most days.  

Light years better than any other I've found here.  His links are good sized---I get two patties out of 1 link for sausage and pepper sandwiches.  

When I went there, he had 3 grades, very picante, mild picante, and no picante.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Excellent. This will be some meat loaf.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nlu Fri May 28, 2021 7:03 am

https://www.facebook.com/berlinproductosalimenticios

nlu

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 28, 2021 7:22 am

I got a pm from Pedro about this thread. This is the post...
https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/91128-loose-italian-sausage/&tab=comments#comment-694728

He recommended the "loose" Italian sausage for spaghetti sauce (or meatloaf). At least now (thanks to NLU), you have contact info and it appears that they are at the Monday market inside the Sunrise Restaurant in San Antonio. :)
I freeze the Italian sausage and then slice it thinly and add to my spaghetti sauce. Mmmmmm.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks, all. I recall Puritan Poultry carries Berlin ground breakfast sausage, another place to check. Most Berlin products are pretty good. I love their beer sausage. (I can leave their breakfast sausage behind, but that's just me, having never found a breakfast sausage here that tastes like ours back home.)

Look at the help I got. Who says this board doesn't stack up compared to that back-biting, self-absorbed, take-a-pot-shot, shoot-first-ask-questions-later TOB? Oh, yeah. Mainecoons, now not even pretending to separate his roles, by insulting Slainte every chance he gets.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

kamcd and HarryB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Puritan Poultry has several flavors of the Berlin sausages. Their claim to fame is having no "junk" additives in the mixture. I am happy with it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Now if only someone would import some good ole Grimms or Freybes Barvarian smokies.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 pm

Tony's butcher shop has Italian sausage in a 2 pack (in the white refrigerator unit to the left). Packaging makes it look imported, but Mex made.  Does the trick for meatloaf, nicely spiced. Not as expensive as the Berlin.  Have you ever put capers and/or wild rice in your meatloaf?  Novel twist, for these novel times.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks. Have not tried capers; sounds good. Rice I usually serve on the side, though.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScubaPam Mon May 31, 2021 8:01 am

I would like to throw in a plug for Hannah who makes absolutely fabulous high quality sausages.  She can be contacted on Facebook although I think she is on vacation for June 2021.  Hannah Rose Handcrafted.  Here is a recent menu/pricelist.  Although she lives in Guadalajara,  she delivers locally.  I am picky about my sausage and she is happy to customize so if you like Jimmy Dean,  ask for Pam's breakfast sausage.  If you like sweet italian sausage with lots of fennel, ask for Pam's Italian sausage.  She also on occasion has high quality specialty meats.  https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=132533742033567&set=basw.AbrGQ2bNP94tGiC7PwWvTkqS6l9Cu6wQrCJ8oVo6RggUFoAEN_QJqhYikKSJ1Y6QH0nHpT_szDeHlL1j8UnMi9n-4JAukA7go6XESBPO_0KT6ATuKDFhxP1S-mcZCmqqNN8X601bq_9KkG3Ly6IkZsXb&opaqueCursor=AbohNcOa86C-UECwqG5MKkZ7ty6xs3_4e5MYdMQ2zVLap9YajgemI8kjdO3ac-wR7mm-ejWj_4Zb4nDKm86Ugv6ao810IwN1HEesLDxPZ57suEWuio8AUKGYTj8vuKqv8D-j-VbjTv_r9Gb-btkl16bWDCFvEneT0dVgLfyaMFQOsHqInhrUghuYxNSA9-nFFr--VEBQwxvgm_CTsZKcrDVvcKRlRbWZE9u04a5ajkGCwLselOxC74k4dkGJ57uMDaeE_cPaHHmTjCmkG4AM28Lr-Bn5SCBR_typ_ITJrm3ZGO_rc2xsa0kAn03cOw-QGV4ju5jv6EvrXqbxFc0Oqfju88QI6Mnxmq5LKQx91_FhezIlcQm-5kspyVqEH7tE3tVkQMbc1ZBUiIw7sj02ve3XaONfmDBBv0OigdiRPG_KdNpNmrDCFtdhBOGWbe7UZ9E7KrDjHvayrQk9fh9aXcpRmYA7oiXNf7uGhpPoPtgfTdpXcPSDruQN7FMI7LOHVtEXnjYCNchJPJQkNw50cjcLZp_YavGIGocosF1GjIi7DAKKv_QugamE2DCnaqsgp-OQ3FcVkmN3PdhKI-rvxwwlGMZ_kadMgyXNQdJY7qMlLA

ScubaPam

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 31, 2021 9:24 am

Thank you. Good to know, although I have a bit of a worry about an ever-growing number of people making "food" and posting on FaceBook. They generally do not include any location information or any proper listing of the ingredients, as mandated by Federal and State law. So there is a lot of trust involved.

On another topic, regarding fennel in sausages: I have made my own pork-based Italian sausage on occasion, and discovered that fennel is quite strong and often over-used. I find it can be overpowering (like Rosemary, which is very strong), so advertising fennel sausage to me is a red flag. What is your experience with hers, if I may ask?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScubaPam Mon May 31, 2021 9:44 am

She doesn't call it fennel sausage. I ask for double double fennel in mine - I love it perhaps others won't.

ScubaPam

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 am

It actually says "This traditional fennel sausage...". that's what sparked my interest. No harm in my trying it. I seem to have a sensitivity to it... gives me an unpleasant buzz in my forehead. On the other hand, MSG has no effect on me.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScubaPam Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 am

My error Computer Guy. I hope you find what works for you.

ScubaPam

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 31, 2021 10:58 am

I'm sure I will. I appreciate the info. Thanks.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:27 pm

Another plug for Hanna. Tried her keilbasa, she also does andouillle and wide variety of other interesting sausage. Most keilbasa I tried has been made by men, with a heavy hand with things like garlic powder and salt. Hers is milder, but still lots of flavor. She must have access to a meat farm, she sells meat too. Last time we tried mango habanero but was quite mild for habanero lovers. Give her a chance. She pleasant and on time for deliveries. The only hassle is ordering at least one day before delivery
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryB Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am

I asked Hanna to increase the fennel. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Wife limits my sausage intake.

Hanna makes many kinds of meats from her brother's organic farm. Try her lamb chops.

HarryB
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down