INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

+7
CheenaGringo
johninajijic
oncesubtle
simpsca
Intercasa
Solovino
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th - Page 2 Empty Re: Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Solovino wrote:My son's girlfriend's mother rented their house in GDL to Televisa. Had to be for a lot.

Love it!! Smart cookie she is! Very Happy

One of the things I adore about Mexico is how easy it is to connect with people. Being personable & everyone is important. Ok, yes, slightly exaggerated but a bit true in a sense.

Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th - Page 2 Empty Re: Pan America Torch passing....Ajijic tianguis closed Wednesday October 12th

Post by Hensley Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:23 am

We are outta here also, headed to PV for the Pan American Beach Volleyball games, they have new courts built and I can't wait to roast my ass off.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 am

I doubt there will be 1,000,000 visitors.

Here's the official checkpoint security info.

PAN AMERICAN GAMES SECURITY PLANThe Pan American games will be held in the State of Jalisco from 14 through 30 October, 2011. Most of the events will be held in Guadalajara but some events will also be held in Puerto Vallarta (Sailing), Lagos Del Marino (baseball), Cd. Guzman and Chapala (Water Skiing). Over 6,000 athletes from 42 countries are expected to attend these games.
On 6 September, 2011 the Chapala Chief of Police, Captain Reynold Contreras, briefed the Vista Del Lago Board of Directors on some of the Increased security measures to be implemented during the Pan American Games. A summary of this briefing follows:
1. There have been recent incidents of security problems In the Municipality of Jocotepec. Drug Cartels from Michoacan have been active in that area. The Government is increasing security there by moving in Federal troops and National Police. However, there have been no Security problems of this nature in the Municipality of Chapala to date. You may see weapons carriers armed (large open jeeps) with a mounted machine gun (similar to those stationed at Military check points on the major highways from Guadalajara to the US border) and filled with army personnel driving towards Jocotepec through Ajijic.
2. Three Military check points on the major access roads to Chapala will be established during the months of October and November (during the Pan American Games and another handicap sporting event that follows) at the following locations:
• In Ixtlahuacan on the highway from Guadalajara.
• East of San Nichols on the highway from Mezcala
• West of Ajijic on the highway from Jocotepec.
Some vehicle traffic will be stopped at these check points and the occupants will be requested to show picture identification and asked for their destination. Vehicles may be searched for weapons, explosives or drugs.
3. Eleven security cameras will be installed at strategic locations in Chapala with photo feeds back to a central monitor in Chapala Police headquarters.
4. The Water Ski competition will be held from October 20 to 24 in Boca Laguna located on the Mezcala highway between Santa Cruz and San Nichols. During this period additional temporary checkpoints will be established at Pepe Guizar/Mezcala highway in Chapala, Santa Cruz and San Nichols. Due to the large crowds expected to attend these events and the resultant heavy traffic, local residents and Chapala Country Club golfers are advised to avoid using this highway if possible in order to avoid long delays and heavy traffic.
5. The Chapala Police department has recently received additional equipment from the Federal Government including various size weapons and bullet proof vests.
The Police Chief urges all residents to report any suspicious activities to his office immediately at Tel. 765-4444 or 765-2851.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:31 am

Question: We have a social event scheduled for next Wednesday at 5 p.m.
Anyone know of a problem getting from Ajijic to Racquet Club at that point?
Thanks for any info.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am

Traffic has been very heavy at times lately. It's taking over a half your to get from SC to Mirasol. This morning there were two Federal trucks patrolling the carraterra - don't know if this is what is slowing down traffic or if the snow birds have returned.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

As for the speculation about 1,000,000 visitors, one should understand the methodology for calculating the impact of a major event. They are not talking about one single influx of 1M people but really the visitors for each day added together. So since, the Pan American Games cover a period of 17 days, you divide the 1M estimate by 17 and get about 59K per day. That figure doesn't sound so high and is easier to swallow.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:59 am

I was told that there was an Army checkpoint a La Floresta this AM. Welcome, the more the merrier, hopefully to continue like years ago.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I hope the Pan Am guests aren't scared by all the military check points. When I first moved here I lived in Guadalajara and for several years there were stationery check points by military on the both roads into and out of Guadalaara. Used to scare the crap out of me until I got used to it. Now I wish they were back full time.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:51 pm

This will be a very interesting experience. If "THEY" have their act together it should be a positive experience, as it was here for the Van. winter Olympics - by and large. I think it is a "purer" event. There are the positive spinoffs - new infrastructure and Guad/Mx promotion and $.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2