INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Roscas de Reyes

3 posters

Go down

Small Roscas de Reyes Empty Small Roscas de Reyes

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:39 am

Anyone seen smaller sized ones? Prefer somewhere in Ajijic.

Definitely not interested in Walmart. When they first opened their bakery was fine; now everything has some funky off taste which reminds me of rancid butter.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Small Roscas de Reyes Empty Re: Small Roscas de Reyes

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:19 pm

order from the French bakery in west Ajijic . They have the norther galette and the southern couronne which means rosca and it is a whole lot better than the local roscas.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:53 pm

brigitte wrote:order from the French bakery in west Ajijic . They have the norther galette and the southern couronne which means rosca and it is a whole lot better than the local roscas.

What's the flavor/ingredient difference between the two?  I tried googling but not much luck....got a lot of overlapping answers.  One or both may be filled with frangipani?? Not something we care for.  But intrigued by the idea.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:28 pm

The galette we get in the north and Paris is filled with frangipane and made out of pate feuillete or hojaldra in Spanish
the couronne from the south is similar to what we get here but made with higher quality ingredients.. If you like the rosca you will like the couronne.
The galette or couronne is sold with a cardboard golden crown for the person who gets the muñeco or the little Jesus . We continue inviting friends for several weekends and the last time we do it the person who gets the crown has to have a crepe party for the Chandeleur or candeleria days.

The hens quit producing eggs in the short winter days and would star

t laying eggs again when the days got longer, hence the crepes for early february...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

BisbeeGal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Brigitte thanks for your help.  I've ordered the galette (brioche she said) for Thursday.  

We really like their baked goods.  For most holidays we order Caneles de Bordeaux....they are amazing.  If anyone hasn't tried them, highly recommend.

Caneles pictured below.

Small Roscas de Reyes Canele10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:05 pm

Do they make canneles?My father is from Bordeaux and my grand mother made some wonderful ones. They are really tricky to make as they are burnt on the outside and raw inside. I have the molds and have made them but they are tough to make because of the way they have to cook. Also the molds are a real pain to clean.
In Paris we do not call a galette which by definition is flat a brioche soo the description is confusing. I am going to order the galette and the couronne just to make sure we have one of each. Also I have asked Isabelle if they will make them for more than one dasince we will continue to have galette gathering and she said to just order them and Frederick will make them.

Now you have me on a kick for canneles and I am going to look for the molds. I may have given them to them, I have to check...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 am

You have to pre-order the caneles; we got a dozen for Christmas.

I don't like to drive if I don't have to, so I order with Gaby at Oui Oui and she brings them to her place on Independencia in Ajijic so I can walk over and get them.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 am

I gave them.my molds because they are a pain to clean and I forgot all about iit.. slme were the better copper one that work better.. Thanks for posting, i am going to order some now..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 am

The Couronne was excellent...brioche as light as a feather and delicious.  Looked good too.  Mi esposo bit into the Baby Jesus this morning.

Small Roscas de Reyes Cake110
Small Roscas de Reyes Jesus210
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 am

Then doesn't he have to provide the tamales on a specific date?

edited to add: Yup! On February 2nd... https://www.pe.com/2017/01/06/see-why-the-three-kings-bread-is-a-latino-tradition/
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:22 am

In the French tradition he would have to make crepes for the second , here tamales , not sure what they do in Spain or Italy for the second. In Italy theeat focaccia kings day and a fairy brings toys to the children. In Spain the 3 kings go by in the street and bring toys to children.. , that was in the good old days, I bethat now Santa Claus has replaced them on the night of the 24th..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 am

Probably not tamales or crepes.....maybe a pizza delivery 🍕
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 am

I LIKE the pizza tradition!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:35 am

In France we continue with the eating of roscas for a couple of weeks.. People who get the little jesus invite again and so on until the 2nd when everyone parties around crepes..
This is a Catholic tradtion in Latin countries that was transferred to Latin America, it is not originally "Latino"..
I wonder if the Catholic outside of the Latin countries celebrate the same way? Anyone knows?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:08 am

check out the tradition of the Befena in Italy, it is really cute and comes from the Romans..mixture of Christianity and the old Roman festivals.. Interesting how the christians managed to have religious events at the same time as the old religious festivals and we see the continuation here of the catholics and indigenous traditions.. unfortunately it comes to a halt with the evangelists now..many sects have no celebrations.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:23 am

That's so fun! Almost sounds like some traditions have gotten incorporated into others... like the coal and sweets and the chimney. https://www.mammaprada.com/home/three-kings-day-in-italy-and-the-legend-of-la-befana
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 am

yes and we see it continued here whn indigenous traditions like the day of the dead get incorporated in the catholic day of the dead. it is fascinating how it all started with celebration of nature and the seasons and transormed with each culture..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Small Roscas de Reyes Empty It's a Miracle!!

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:55 am

In the last piece of the Tres Reyes cake this morning, I found a 2nd Baby Jesus.

I don't remember Mary having twins, but I didn't pay a lot of attention in Catechism class.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 am

It is all related to inflation, we now need 2 peple to buy for the next roun ofroscas 😃

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

brigitte and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down