INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently?

4 posters

Go down

Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently? Empty Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently?

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:05 pm

I just noticed my US Passport expired a few days ago. Dang. I am told the US Consulate not longer comes to the lake once a month to help people process passport applications. Has anyone renewed their passport recently? Any tips of tricks to it? I imagine I have a trip to Guadalajara in my future. Thanks.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently? Empty Re: Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 pm

Have not had to do this, but "everyone" says you start it online, then take your forms, pics, old passport to iShop where their staff is very familiar with sending it to the Consulate via FedEx.  

I will try to find more useful info from FB postings.  If you're near iShop, maybe stop in and see if they can guide you.

Last edited by BisbeeGal on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

caligirl108 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently? Empty Re: Ooops! US Passport expired - Renewed recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 pm

This courtesy of Heather Krause's FB post,

Heather Krause
 ·
US Passport Renewal info. We recently renewed and received my passport by mail through iShop, and have also sent a renewal for my husband's passport. If you need to renew yours and are wondering about the process, here's info on what's needed to handle it using this method...

As of now (August, 2022), you can no longer deal with this through the US Consulate at LCS - they stopped providing that service during the pandemic. You might be able to get it done in person by going to Guadalajara, but I've seen mixed reports on success. All the comments I've seen for handling it via iShop have been positive. The clerk(s) there are very familiar with the process and can assist (in English) with questions. When you have all the necessary documents, they send them along with a return envelope so the new passport is returned to iShop for safe keeping. You receive a phone call to notify you that it's there so you can pick it up. Documents are sent both ways via FedEx with tracking. iShop charges $700 MX for the service. Here's what you need and where you can get it:

Take the following to iShop:
Your original, current US passport
A COPY of the ID page from the passport (iShop can make the copy if you don't have a way to make one yourself)
The completed and printed passport renewal form (see below)
A printed copy of the receipt for your online payment of the passport renewal fee (see below)
Two (2) official US Passport photos, loose - DO NOT attach to the renewal form as the form states (see below)
The service fee to pay iShop (ours was $700 this week), plus a current phone number where you can be reached when your Passport is delivered.
You DO NOT need any envelopes or return envelopes as this will be handled at iShop via FedEx delivery

Here's where you can get the above items. If you don't have your current US Passport original, see information at the website provided, or inquire at iShop about whether you can use this process. All of this is for RENEWAL of a current US Passport, as of August, 2022, and is obviously subject to change!
The passport renewal form and additional information is available at this web page. For a renewal, click the link provided to complete the DS-82 form. It will lead you through filling everything out online, then you can PRINT the completed form for mailing. If possible, you might SAVE a copy of the completed form in PDF format in case you need to re-print it for any reason. The data will not be saved, so if you need another print-out and don't have the completed form saved, you'll need to go through the process again. Here's the site with info and your form: https://mx.usembassy.gov/.../u-s-passport-renewal-by.../...

Online payment and receipt. You CANNOT send payment with the renewal form via check or other method. Currently, you MUST pre-pay the fee online and send a receipt for payment along with the renewal form. Several forms of payment are accepted, including bank transfer, Paypal, Amazon, or debit/credit card. To make your payment and get a receipt, go to the following site. Once done, the receipt will be sent to you via email (plus you can print the confirmation page if you want to have that, too): https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/607957567...
Passport Photos MUST meet specific guidelines and are available for purchase from several places locally. Note that these photos should NOT be attached to the renewal form, even though the form says to... take the loose photos to iShop and they will paperclip them to the form. We use the photo shop on Ocampo, across from Manix restaurant since they are quick, professional, and already know the requirements for all types of official documentation. Never a problem with them, and they will print your photos while you wait. Other people might recommend alternate locations that they prefer, or you can even do them yourself if you make sure the photos you send meet ALL REQUIREMENTS indicated on this website: https://travel.state.gov/.../passports/how-apply/photos.html

iShop is located a couple of blocks EAST of Superlake market, on the same side of the street. Here is a link to a map showing the location if you're unfamiliar with the area. The sidebar includes additional information about iShop, including their phone number in case you want to contact them: https://www.google.com/.../data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0...

If you have additional information to share about this process, feel free to comment... seems it's constantly in a state of flux.

But this system is relatively painless and allows you to handle renewal without driving into Guadalajara.
The only problem I experienced was the phone number they had for me was incorrect, so they couldn't call me when the Passport arrived. I eventually went in to check on it and was able to pick it up, but it obviously took longer than needed. You might double-check your contact number with iShop before you leave, and/or go in person if you suspect it's taking too long.

Last edited by BisbeeGal on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean, caligirl108 and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:44 pm

Thanks BisbeeGal. Yes, someone told me it all starts on-line. I imagine/hope the instructions are clear. The iShop info is new to me and potentially great news. I would love to be able to do this without going to Guadalajara. I don't actually mind driving to Guadalajara at all. But I hear getting in and out of the US Consulate is a miserable experience. It would be great if I don't have to go near it. Thanks!

Ooops/Edit. I posted this before I saw the one above. Thanks! And HUGE KUDOS to HKrause for the thorough and helpful info!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:26 pm

One of her links didn't work, try this one,

https://mx.usembassy.gov/passports/u-s-passport-renewal-by-mail/
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:19 pm

Thanks again. That link works fine. I'm all set on what I need to do. I sure hope Ishop still provides that service so I can avoid the Consulate.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:19 am

Bumping this very helpful thread for a friend who needs to renew...

I followed these instructions and received my new passport from the Consulate in Guadalajara in about 3 1/2 weeks. Ishop service was great. And I renewed over Christmas/New Years holidays, so pleased I got my new passport so quickly.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 am

Rosa Venus wrote:Bumping this thread for a friend...

I received my passport back from the Consulate in Guadalajara in about 3 1/2 weeks. And that was over Christmas/New Years holidays.

Impressive! Especially at the holidays.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Rosa Venus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am

I can’t print receipts that they would email me. How to deal with that?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by barbicheesecake Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:14 pm

Husband just renewed. Very easy.....took it to Spencer McMullin, Attorney. He handled everything. We avoid driving to Guadalajara if at all possible.
barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:19 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I can’t print receipts that they would email me. How to deal with that?

Find a friend with a printer, email receipts to them and have them print them. Or buy a printer?

As far as the other post goes, I'm all for hiring a professional to do something I either can't do or don't want to do, but all there is to renewing a passport is filling out the form. The most difficult part was figuring out how to make the payment on the unnecessarily complicated payment site. But even I could manage that. Not having to go to Guadalajara for something as mundane as this was a treat, thanks to iShop.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down