INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best laid plans of mice and men.

+5
oncesubtle
CanuckBob
simpsca
hockables
Walter
9 posters

Go down

The best laid plans of mice and men. Empty The best laid plans of mice and men.

Post by Walter Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Anytime that I am north of the 49th, I am working on a plan to get back to Lakeside. This year the escape date was Sept. 15th. I had hired two guys to look after the biz and was on the road.

Last spring I sold my Land Rover to purchase something a bit more back road friendly. and technology that I can work on. I bought a 1985 Bombardier Iltis. An army rig with a VW engine and an Audi running gear, 18 gauge body panels - one solid unit!

I left Bonnyville for a quite casual trip across Canada, stopping to visit friends that I hadn't seen in years, ending in NB to visit Ma and my grandson etc. for a month or so. Then to Mexico before the mercury drops too low.

The first stop was Thunder Bay, stayed three days, then time to move on. About 100k down the road, for some reason, I had my head under the dash going into an S turn. She rolled 1&1/2 times. The only real damage to the rig appears to be the windshield, canvas doors and top. I stayed there (Schreiber, ON), for a week in a motel with the second worst pain I ever had. Screamed every time that I sat up or stood. Don't know how screaming helps, but you can't not scream! Decided to leave it there and go back in May or June. This is not the weather for a crippled shade tree mechanic, and besides the canvas was all ripped to shit!

After 13 hrs. on the bus, my buddy picked me up in Orillia, ON. The next day went to outpatients - 5 busted ribs! Blackeye Stayed with them for a few more days of healing, then flew from Toronto to Fredericton, NB where my son picked me up and took me to his new place on Magadavic Lake. Beautiful spot and great Bass fishing (Like I could cast a rod).

So, here I am at Ma's, laying low, healing up, and planning the next leg. I figure maybe two weeks, then Lakeside.

It should be rather obvious why it's hard for me to commit to reservations. If I could line up something for the first of Nov. that would work. Any cancellations Bob? Something comparable to your place would be great. Looking till the first of April. Anybody got any ideas?

Does anyone remember "Joe Blkspltz" from the "L'il Abner" comic strip, he always had his own personal black cloud overhead? Why does nothing surprise me any more? -Steve
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The best laid plans of mice and men. Empty Re: The best laid plans of mice and men.

Post by hockables Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:26 pm

at least yo're alive Steve... look you up in January when we're down again...

next time... don't take the training wheels off your Army Jeep
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The best laid plans of mice and men. Empty Re: The best laid plans of mice and men.

Post by simpsca Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Busted ribs hurt like heck - it even hurts to breathe! I have to ask - what was your head doing under the dash?

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you. Hope you mend soon!

You can post an add on CBob's web board with the particulars of the rental you want. There is a lot for rent right now.

http://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/f24-for-sale-rent-wanted
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

But why did you have your head under the dash going into a S turn?????
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am

Bob, I dropped a Tim-Bit, a strawberry filled one! On the floor of my rig you don't push the three second rule!

Simpsca, I looked at VRBO and didn't see much that was available in my price range. Looking for a casita around $500. Would like something on the flats in Chapala, if possible.

Has anyone got any comments on Italo's, in Ajijic? Would consider that til I find something else. Gonna see if can find a website for them. -Steve
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I have friends who have stayed there at Italo and liked it. Also Ajijic Suites on Colon across from the Plaza - reasonable price and had friends stay there.

Did you PM oncesubtle? He has apartments for rent - don't know his price range. I am sure you will find something even under $500 if you are looking for casita size. Here is one rental website - I hear the woman who runs it is good - there is at least one for $450: http://www.sarahsuerentals.com/RENTALS.php
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Here is a real estate agency with rentals under $500: http://www.lagunamex.com/SitePages/rentals/rentals.htm

and another agency: http://ajijicrentalsandmanagement.com/listings.html

and another: http://www.ajijicchapala.com.mx/rentals.html

and more here: http://century21accessmex.com/component/option,com_estateagent/Itemid,55/act,cat/task,showCE/id,6/
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Walter wrote:Bob, I dropped a Tim-Bit, a strawberry filled one! On the floor of my rig you don't push the three second rule!

Simpsca, I looked at VRBO and didn't see much that was available in my price range. Looking for a casita around $500. Would like something on the flats in Chapala, if possible.

Has anyone got any comments on Italo's, in Ajijic? Would consider that til I find something else. Gonna see if can find a website for them. -Steve

Had I known it was a Tim-bit I would have never asked. Hopefully you didn't spill your double double....... Glad to hear your back on your feet.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

[quote="Walter"] It should be rather obvious why it's hard for me to commit to reservations. If I could line up something for the first of Nov. that would work. Any cancellations Bob? Something comparable to your place would be great. Looking till the first of April. Anybody got any ideas?"

No problemo, we do have one opening from Nov 1st to the 17th, then from the 20th going forward. How about shooting me your phone number in a PM and I'll give you a call.
Strawberry Tim-Bit? Is that the new Canadian code word for a dubie? The best laid plans of mice and men. 169387 Ya'll are a funny bunch!

oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Nope it's a jelly filled "donut hole" from Tim Horton's. Best coffee/donut shop NOB. Has Starbucks beat hands down. I've been bugging them to let me open an Ajijic branch.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:36 pm

If they are that good maybe we should place an order for when you come down. Betcha you don't have any left by the time you get here.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Nope it's a jelly filled "donut hole" from Tim Horton's. Best coffee/donut shop NOB. Has Starbucks beat hands down. I've been bugging them to let me open an Ajijic branch.......

Yeah, get Tim down here! We need a Canadian Tire too!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Doubtful on the Crappytire but the Tim's has some promise. They do want to expand into international markets and they did have one on the Canuck military base in Afghanistan. I just need to find the right person to talk to. I'm working on it. Once I get down I'll have far more time to work on the business plan.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm

simpsca wrote:If they are that good maybe we should place an order for when you come down. Betcha you don't have any left by the time you get here.

I will be getting a regular order of the Timmy's coffee grounds shipped down..........I have friends at Fed Ex.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:10 pm

CB:

Whole beans stay fresh longer. All you need is a good burr grinder to grind your own fresh. Or there are some great all in one units with a built in conical burr grinder that grinds immediately before you brew. Our personal favorite happens to be an earlier version of: http://capresso.com/coffee-makers-coffee-team-gs.shtml

By the way, does anyone out there feel like the coffee options at the Mexico Starbucks stores taste anything like those NOB? I realize that they do tailor their selection to local tastes but with my limited experience with the stores in Mexico, I was never satisfied with the taste. Then again, I am not really big on Starbucks coffee here NOB.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:18 pm

SuperLake has a commercial coffe grinder. I had a Starbucks Espresso at the Lorena Ochoa Invitational golf tournament at Guadalajara Country Club last November. It was delicious! Way better than NOB, although I do like their Espresso. As for beans I always liked their holiday offering, the Christmans Blend.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Guess that I should have been more specific since I was referring to brewed coffee and not Espresso (not one of my favorites). The NOB Christmas Blend isn't bad but a too light of roast for my tastes. While our Costco stores offer Starbucks French Roast and the Starbucks processed Costco House Blend, we have taken a liking to the three pound bags of Guatemalan or Brazilian whole beans. Different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go around!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:55 am

CheenaGringo wrote:CB

By the way, does anyone out there feel like the coffee options at the Mexico Starbucks stores taste anything like those NOB? I realize that they do tailor their selection to local tastes but with my limited experience with the stores in Mexico, I was never satisfied with the taste. Then again, I am not really big on Starbucks coffee here NOB.

Because of import taxes and such I wonder if starbucks to keep the cost down is using mexican coffee rather than the
obvious columbian blend used in the USA?? I find the aftertaste to be slightly bitter for NOB starbucks coffee. I don't
miss non mexican coffee down here as the Veracruz is very good and I like the Oaxaca almost as well.

I find it interesting about the Horton comments. Seems most Canadians have a large soft spot for the place. I think if
you asked folks from the PNW (Pacific NorthWest) in the US we would pick a Trader Joes. It is the only thing I miss
in any major way at all. The vegtable store near the plaza in Ajijic (sharp marketing guy) was really looking over the
traders joes bag we were using and asking about it. They should open a branch lakeside and we will put a Horton's
next door ...OK? :-)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 am

You're on!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 am

El Granos' french roast Chiapas beans are very good. At home in SE WA state we usually use Winco's double french roast beans and are an acceptable substitute for Chiapas coffee.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:53 am

Simpsca- thanks for all the links.
Mr. Subtle came thru-same room as last year-perfect! Give my best to Mrs. Subtle.

Look forward to having coffee with some of you, when I get there! Maybe I should stuff my pockets with Tim Bits to bribe customs etc. -Steve
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Yes, but don't drop any on the floor of your car again!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:36 pm

That car ain't goin' nowhere til May or June!
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down