INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

+8
Zedinmexico
johninajijic
SusieSunshine
raqueteer
gringal
espíritu del lago
hockables
hound dog
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch Empty The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 pm

What phony crap. The old West Ajijic organic market has moved to that new losers shopping mall in east Ajijic and devolved into a shallow gathering of Lake Chapala gringos performimg a circle jerk among themselves which has now become a coffee-klatch of bonehead foreigners with no notion of what a true organic market represents. Pathetic. Bound to happen. No one there this morning has even a clue.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch Empty Re: The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

Post by hockables Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:18 pm

hound dog wrote: What phony crap. The old West Ajijic organic market has moved to that new losers shopping mall in east Ajijic and devolved into a shallow gathering of Lake Chapala gringos performimg a circle jerk among themselves which has now become a coffee-klatch of bonehead foreigners with no notion of what a true organic market represents. Pathetic. Bound to happen. No one there this morning has even a clue.

THIS Gringo knows Organic....

It's stuff Grown In Cow Shit instead of the granular stuff U buy @ Canadian Tire... & the Market is where U go ta Buy it ....Sheesh.... U gotta make em harder than that!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch Empty Re: The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 pm

and rabbit, chicken and a few goat pellet's and while your at it fish offal
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Plus, they could collect some of the b.s. on web boards to fill out the volume.

Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:53 pm

You bet, talk about enrichment or not................... :)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:03 pm

hockables wrote:
hound dog wrote: What phony crap. The old West Ajijic organic market has moved to that new losers shopping mall in east Ajijic and devolved into a shallow gathering of Lake Chapala gringos performimg a circle jerk among themselves which has now become a coffee-klatch of bonehead foreigners with no notion of what a true organic market represents. Pathetic. Bound to happen. No one there this morning has even a clue.

THIS Gringo knows Organic....

It's stuff Grown In Cow Shit instead of the granular stuff U buy @ Canadian Tire... & the Market is where U go ta Buy it ....Sheesh.... U gotta make em harder than that!!

In Chiapas, make that human shit and eating that stuff can give you the runs for countless days. This guy was also selling somosas so I asked him if hje was from India and he responded that he was not from there but knew someone who was from India. Dawg spent some time in India and can assure you those somosas were from Ajijic. Nice effort, though.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Dammit, are the cookie people no longer there? How about that organic soy stuff that I advised them to market as a dip for organic crudites? All gone?????
Last time I went they were trying to sell me some green stuff, so I hightailed it outta there. Apparently word has it that some of the organic eggs were bad,and the carrots a bit limp. Gotta pick up the pace!

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am

I used to love it, but now I run in get burgers and tamales, and run out. I've had problems with the eggs being bad, too. I get mine at the Ajijic Tianguis from the new guy that sells the whole flat for 35 pesos...they are pretty good. The vendor that I used to get my fruits and veggies from isn't there anymore. :(
It seems to have become more of a social gathering for many people.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:44 pm

We bought some eggs from a vendor there when it first opened at that location. Cost about double what we normally paid. No super quality to justify the price. Since then, a friend said Puritan Poultry had the best eggs, and they charge about the same as the regular supermarket. Yes, they are fresher and tastier, IMO.

I like the idea of having a local organic market and some items, like the baked goods, (especially the fella with the good muffins), are better than elsewhere. Other things we've tried were disappointing. On the other hand, I don't expect the strict rules and quality of the ones back in the states and am glad this is available here.

As far as the social aspects of the scene are concerned, it's a big "so what?". I'm in search of bread and veggies, not buddies. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Organic, Schmorganic, you ain't gonna live longer eatin that crap anyways, so why pay more for it?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 pm

I wanted to like it. I really did and I did find some good stuff but frankly most of
the stuff I bought was modest and taste wise it reminded me of the old funky
days where we would boil brown rice to a pulp and we thought all healthy food
is tasteless. I will go and try more food but much of it was spiced poorly. Healthy
food can taste good much of what I bought didn't. Mildly disappointed and I do
admit up north I had access to one of the best farmers markets in the US and I
am probably spoiled so you might want to ignore me as a whiner. I don't know.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm

I feel your whine. I, too, miss the good stuff from NOB, but.........this is what it is and probably won't get any better.
You had me ROFL with nostalgia for the days when we tried to convince ourselves that that tasteless stuff was healthy. John probably has a point with "organic" "shmorganic". Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm

I'd walk a mile for a slice of Wonderbread & Margarine... no taste, no waste... and you can save it almost forever...

cause even the Bugs won't eat it!!

There is Organic... and there is the Sh*t folks NOB are eating... in Mexico... where there is a Panaderia on every corner... and the produce was picked 4 miles away 2 days ago... you are eating sooo much better than NOB right now and every day...
Organic ... there in Mexico, is almost a Moot Point

Last edited by hockables on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : practise)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

The only things I miss from up north is the twice a week farmers markets and
Traders Joes. Anyhoo I do think things will improve in time as they did NOB.
Like I said the mush brown rice or mush lentil soup was the norm in our commune and to this day I still think of brown rice that way even though my
wife makes it and it is not mushy at all. I had fun in those days but I am still
a little bit embarrased at how much we thought we knew and now I know how
little I knew at the time. Hockables has a very good point on how well we do
eat here compared to safeway up north. I make a margarita and go outside 10
feet to get limes. Soon I will be able to walk 20 feet for juice oranges. etc etc
Life is good here if you have your health and a little bit of money.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 pm

The only things I miss from up north is the twice a week farmers markets and
Traders Joes.

Copy that!....Welcome to flag waver Trader Joes especially, and Sprout's .... The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch 851398
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm

[quote="hockables"]I'd walk a mile for a slice of Wonderbread & Margarine... no taste, no waste... and you can save it almost forever...

There is Organic... and there is the Sh*t folks NOB are eating... in Mexico... where there is a Panaderia on every corner... and the produce was picked 4

An appallingly ignorant post. 99% of the produce you are buying at Lakeside from Chapala to Yokeltepec at those phoney tiangis come from the Guadalajara abastos and are grown on industrial farms in Guanajuato, Puebla and other rancheros around here. Also, that phoney Tuesday "organic" market in that new shopping center in Ajijic is as genuine as a three dollar bill. You folks who believe this must be yahoos from Omaha.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 am

[quote="hound dog"]
hockables wrote:I'd walk a mile for a slice of Wonderbread & Margarine... no taste, no waste... and you can save it almost forever...

There is Organic... and there is the Sh*t folks NOB are eating... in Mexico... where there is a Panaderia on every corner... and the produce was picked 4

An appallingly ignorant post. 99% of the produce you are buying at Lakeside from Chapala to Yokeltepec at those phoney tiangis come from the Guadalajara abastos and are grown on industrial farms in Guanajuato, Puebla and other rancheros around here. Also, that phoney Tuesday "organic" market in that new shopping center in Ajijic is as genuine as a three dollar bill. You folks who believe this must be yahoos from Omaha.

ignorance is Bliss I always said... a least come tax time :)

I wuz just say'n chow there is a damned site better than what is available further North...

Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to generalize by including sunny Californi & Georgia, Alabamy, Florida, Carolinas....

But further Norte.... where most produce is trucked in...picked young & irradiated to keep it lookin Good!!

The first thing I noticed , visiting PV & Jalisco wuz the Food... perhaps its not quite as noticable

those spoiled rotten sumb*tches from them Southern States ( Sweatbirds )
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 am

IMO, the things worth buying at the local Tuesday (organic???) market are the homemade products like pickles, fresh breads and rolls with uncommon ingredients that you can't buy at the local panaderia, etc.

The vegetable offerings are dubious. If you know someone who grows them in their own yard (I do) and perhaps focuses on heirloom veggies that you enjoy, fine. Otherwise, you might as well go to the local super.

On the other hand, I've met some savvy people from Omaha.......and even Alabama.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 am

espíritu del lago wrote:The only things I miss from up north is the twice a week farmers markets and
Traders Joes.

Copy that!....Welcome to flag waver Trader Joes especially, and Sprout's .... The Ajijic Organic Market and its Inevitable Decline into a Wuss Patch 851398

¡Trader Joes!!!! Trader Joes specializes in selling seconds no one else could sell and most of their stuff is frozen crap or dried mixes that are mainly ertzatz "gourmet" food that would get them expelled from France. The "Omaha Steak" people of the "gourmet" food business. Chocolate covered ants for midwesterners.

razberry
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 am

hound dog wrote:
espíritu del lago wrote:The only things I miss from up north is the twice a week farmers markets and
Traders Joes.

¡Trader Joes!!!! Trader Joes specializes in selling seconds no one else could sell and most of their stuff is frozen crap or dried mixes that are mainly ertzatz "gourmet" food that would get them expelled from France. The "Omaha Steak" people of the "gourmet" food business. Chocolate covered ants for midwesterners.

razberry

Very Happy So we have what Dawg Detestes... What does Dawg Dig?

Black Angus Steak Tartar w/ bottle O Fussy Pussy?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:25 am

Honestly I just don't know why people don't make their own stuff here. No preservatives just for starters.
Bread and some specialty items I'm all in, but packaged mixes, ixnay.
There are super recipes on the net for just about every convenience food marketed anywhere in the world.
Salad dressings, well just slap me silly if I am ever seen buying a bottled brand.
Indian food, go the the abastos, pick up your spices, make your own mango chutney, and you're done. BTW. pappadums are now available here.
British food, a fave in our house, Melton Mowbray pie with branston pickle. No sweat. Do it yourself. You might have to substitute a few things, but, you will have a good looking spread on your very own table.
Spanish food, a lot is not available here, like that great tinned tuna belly, however don't let that stop you. Tapas, are noooo problem at all. Paella, get your saffron at the abastos, you have to ask for it.
Greek food, Moussaka is a doddle, and every single thing is available here. Yummy.
Chinese food, same thing, and no MSG.

Get Cooking.

I see Hockables is making fun of Pouilly Fuisse again. A very fine wine and not to be scoffed at ever.
Steak tartare, don't even think about taking a shot at that one Hocks.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:38 am

raqueteer wrote:Honestly I just don't know why people don't make their own stuff here. No preservatives just for starters.
Bread and some specialty items I'm all in, but packaged mixes, ixnay.
There are super recipes on the net for just about every convenience food marketed anywhere in the world.
Salad dressings, well just slap me silly if I am ever seen buying a bottled brand.
Indian food, go the the abastos, pick up your spices, make your own mango chutney, and you're done. BTW. pappadums are now available here.
British food, a fave in our house, Melton Mowbray pie with branston pickle. No sweat. Do it yourself. You might have to substitute a few things, but, you will have a good looking spread on your very own table.
Spanish food, a lot is not available here, like that great tinned tuna belly, however don't let that stop you. Tapas, are noooo problem at all. Paella, get your saffron at the abastos, you have to ask for it.
Greek food, Moussaka is a doddle, and every single thing is available here. Yummy.
Chinese food, same thing, and no MSG.

Get Cooking.

I see Hockables is making fun of Pouilly Fuisse again. A very fine wine and not to be scoffed at ever.
Steak tartare, don't even think about taking a shot at that one Hocks.

Shocked Damn .... that sounded good!!... Que es Melton Mowbray pie with branston pickle ?

Are you involved in The Culinary Club Cookoffs Simpsca had described to me?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 pm

It's a raised crust pie with ground pork, ham, eggs in the center carefully placed so there's a bit in each slice. Branston Pickle is an english condiment which oddly enough needs rutabaga in order to make a good one.

As Winston Churchill once said although a few blowhards attribute this to Woody Allen. Allen just changed the wording.

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm

hound dog wrote:
Traders Joes.

razberry

Can't agree with you on this one. If you think trader joes is junk than you must think whole foods is junk. I find trader
joes sells some of the best tasting rice I have ever had. They have diet lemonade without nutrasweet or splenda. The
number of superior products they sell at a great price is numerous. Ever had the thai chili spiced cashews?? Delicious.
They have wonderful frozen and no fridge packs of Indian food that is very yummy. I could go on and on. Do they have
stuff that sucks sure and so does whole foods or the local coop where people can pay too much for food. Great prices
on stuffed olives of good quality and I can't tell the difference between the expensive brands. I don't buy my meat produce or bread as I can get fresh when in season at other places but for canned/frozen/bottled stuff Joe's can't be
beat IMHO. Have you been to traders lately? If I could only have two stores to shop at it would be Winco (NOB warehouse food store) and trader joes and I would be happy. I do admit I am a trader joes junkie. I also think they
have the best staff of any store short of Nordstroms.

Its an opinion and we all have em.

Z

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:06 pm

My favorite Winston quotes

When told he was drunk by a socialite.
"Madame I may be drunk and you are fat but in the morning I will be sober and
you will still be fat"

Or something like that.

"If you are not a liberal at 20 you don't have a heart and if you are not a conservative at 40 you don't have a brain. (old definitions of these terms
not todays definions of lib and conserv.)"

What a great man considering he was a huge liar. If you are interested in him
watch the history channel show "churchills bodyguards" if you get a chance.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next