INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal cellphone data end up for sale

4 posters

Go down

Personal cellphone data end up for sale Empty Personal cellphone data end up for sale

Post by Demonio Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 am

Personal cellphone data end up for sale at Mexican flea market

The government had asked everyone to register their phones, but many refused, citing fears of spying or other misuse of the data. It turns out they were right.
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Personal cellphone data end up for sale Empty Re: Personal cellphone data end up for sale

Post by Intercasa Wed May 12, 2010 11:23 am

This really means little. With Facebook and the ecurp page you can get the same info for free. With Mexican institutions requiring originals and proof of residence, the threat of misuse is much less than NOB.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Personal cellphone data end up for sale Empty Re: Personal cellphone data end up for sale

Post by Demonio Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am

I agree with you that for those who are cyberspace knowledgeable, others personal information is but a few key strokes away. I just found the news story interesting since many warned that the requirement to register phones was fool hearty and they were proven right. As far as I know, no one's phone was disconnected. This is sort of like the FMM rumors that you'll be tracked and can't visit MX for more than 180 days per year. IMO it'll never happen and if it does, MX will reverse itself when they realize they're cutting off their nose to spite their face -- in terms of lost tourist dollars. Confusing and not well thought out. The last thing MX should consider doing is confusing the hand that feeds it. Like there already isn't enough reluctance for tourism with the MX war on drugs and its associated violence.
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 pm

I have 2 friends who had phones turned off and I helped them register with my CURP to get them turned back on the same day.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Why would someone buy this list? What can they do with the information that they get? Is there a reason for us to be concerned? Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu May 13, 2010 4:14 pm

So Spencer, if you can register your friends' phones using your CURP (Is that a number, or what?) what good is registering? Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused about all this. Thanks, Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 13, 2010 4:59 pm

The cell phone registration IS a bit confusing. The registry itself is confused too. Apparently 10s of thousands of phones were registered using fictious names and numbers. I suppose it will get sorted out over time, who knows?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down