INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut shrimp?

+12
gringal
viajero
hound dog
Zedinmexico
Hensley
johninajijic
MyHomeSweetHome
Mainecoons
CheenaGringo
Jim W
CanuckBob
ferret
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Coconut shrimp? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coconut shrimp?

Post by hound dog Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote="Zedinmexico"]
johninajijic wrote:gerret - A few years ago we had the same experience with the Coconut shrimp and the batter was too heavy.

I don't know if anyone at Lakeside does a decent Coconut shrimp.

The "best" Coconut shrimp we have had is at Outback in the Galerias mall. All of Outback's food is superior.

Not sure if I aggree with all of Outbacks food being superior but John is absolutely correct they do have a very very good Coconut Shrimp.

Z[/quote]

"...very good Coconut Shrimp." at an Outback Steakhouse is an oxymoron. Sort of like extolling the virtues of the superb Moon Pies with the requisite RC Cola at a Seven/Eleven in Yazoo City or the Chinese food at some greasy spoon dive in Yokeltepec.

hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Zed you're not supposed to be eating shrimp are you? :)
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:00 am

viajero wrote:Zed you're not supposed to be eating shrimp are you? :)
Chris

I can eat what ever I want to. Just Jewish enough for Hitler to have killed me but
the Jews here say I am not Jewish. So you figure it out. I can't. Same situation
with my native american past. I guess I am just a human and not a color or a
religion.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 am

hound dog wrote:[quote="Zedinmexico"]
johninajijic wrote:gerret - A few years ago we had the same experience with the Coconut shrimp and the batter was too heavy.

I don't know if anyone at Lakeside does a decent Coconut shrimp.

The "best" Coconut shrimp we have had is at Outback in the Galerias mall. All of Outback's food is superior.

Not sure if I aggree with all of Outbacks food being superior but John is absolutely correct they do have a very very good Coconut Shrimp.

Z

"...very good Coconut Shrimp." at an Outback Steakhouse is an oxymoron. Sort of like extolling the virtues of the superb Moon Pies with the requisite RC Cola at a Seven/Eleven in Yazoo City or the Chinese food at some greasy spoon dive in Yokeltepec.[/quote]

I know I know but it is true. The coconut shrimp at Outback is outstanding. Discovered by accident when nothing else was open other than Denny's.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 am

johninajijic wrote:Zed - Poor choice of words? Maybe I should have said very good and seems consistent. Nice place and good waiters/waitresses too. Especially for a chain restaurant.

No I agree with you for a chain the food is not bad.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
viajero wrote:Zed you're not supposed to be eating shrimp are you? :)
Chris
I can eat what ever I want to. Just Jewish enough for Hitler to have killed me but
the Jews here say I am not Jewish. So you figure it out. I can't. Same situation
with my native american past. I guess I am just a human and not a color or a
religion.
Z

Which reminds me of a conversation I had last night with a fellow I met while waiting for my take out order at Thai 2 Go. During the course of our discussion, the subject of Iranian food came up for some reason and it developed that this guy lived in Iran for a time and married an Iranian woman. Since I am aware of the complexities of a Christian foreigner marrying an Iranian woman who is a devout Muslim, I asked him if he had converted to Islam at which point he not only affirmed that he, of necessity, had converted to Islam but showed me a medallion he was wearing with a presumed likeness of Mohammed engraved thereon. I responded that I could never convert to a religion that, under its present doctrinal tenets, strictly forbids the ingestion of alcoholic beverages (to the best of Dawg´s knowledge, Mohammed originally had tolerated moderate drinking and the outright ban came later). He laughed and stated that he had been in few places where people drank with more relish in their homes and at private parties than the more fundamental Islamic countries such as Iran and Saudi Arabia. I have no doubt he spoke the truth since Dawg grew up in the strongly prohibitionist Alabama of the 1940s and 1950s and I know from personal experience that nothing makes alcohol more attractive than its prohibition. I informed him that I understood and believed what he was saying but that much of the fun of drinking is derived from the act of imbibing in the public realm at bars and fine restaurants. Therefore, the best Iranian food with which I was familar was served at this fabulous Iranian restaurant in San Francisco´s North Beach when I was living there in the 90s and there was nothing finer than sumptuous Persian cuisine consumed with a few shots of fine single malt scotch whiskey and a good claret as was my custom in those days.

Dawg fully understands, Zed. I embrace no religion but if I were to do so I´d need to modify some of the more antiquated rules of behavior regarding the ingestion of distilled spirits, swine and shellfish.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 pm

As I understand it, being Jewish is an ethnic reality. Practicing the religious rules is a religious matter. Some Jews I've known are athiests; some faithfully follow all the rules of the religion.
Hitler's goal was to exterminate all ethnic Jews, religious or not.

There are many people who are "nominal" members of various other religions but don't pay much attention to the rules.........as in "jack Mormons" who drink and Catholics who practice contraception.

Some rules are antiquated, based on health issues in past centuries.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:13 pm

gringal wrote:As I understand it, being Jewish is an ethnic reality. Practicing the religious rules is a religious matter. Some Jews I've known are athiests; some faithfully follow all the rules of the religion.

Which reminds me of a story. When I was a lad and just starting out in the working world, I moved to Washington, D.C. and, as was common in those days (the mid-60a), I found a roommate through classified ads and agreed to share his apartment with him splitting the rent. I was not a religious fellow but was raised a Presbyterian in small town South Alabama. Now, you may not believe this, but in that town of about 5,000 people, about 60% white and 40% black, there was one immigrant from Greece who owned and ran a restaurant, one immigrant from China who owned and ran a laundry and one ethnic jew who owned a discount clothing store so my experience, having had a rather isolated youth, with Asians, Greeks and Jews was, to say the least, limited and I had no exposure to or prejudice against Asians, Greeks or Jews whatsoever.

Anyway, it turns out my new roommate was a very committed religious Jew but we were not friends, simply young poor people sharing a two bedroom apartment and mostly passing each other as we went about our separate businesses. Then, after a few weeks of this, we had occasion to meet one afternoon in our common living room and struck up a casual conversation which drifted over to questions as to our mutual backgrounds and interests. I forget how the conversation moved in the diection of etnicity and religion but, at one point in our discussion, I indicated that I came from a town in rural South Alabama where there was only one Jewish family and they had converted to Presbyterianism and, consequently, attended the same church in which I had been raised. Well Holy Shit - you´d have thought I was the reincarnation of Herman Goering himself. My roommate became incensed and screamed at me at the top of his lungs that I was an ignorant redneck from the southern piney woods and that if this family in my home town had converted from Judaism to Christian Protestantism they were no longer Jews and were a disgrace to their heritage. He then continued to berate me at length for my profound ignorance of Judeaism and made it clear that I was obviously some sort of yahoo who didn´t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

That little episode sort of queered that already tenuous relationship and we had split as roommates by the end of that month. That turned out to be a good thing for me as then I moved into this communal, interracial, co-ed apartment near Dupont Circle where nobody was even remotely religious and everyone had, shall we say, relaxed attitudes toward sexuality. I must say that, regardless of appearances of various roommates sharing this apartment, young Dawg avoided any discussion of ethnicity or religion again for some time after that. After all, I really didin´t give a damn one way or the other so why engage in a conversation about something of zero importance to me and risk being assessed a yahoo redneck again. One of the roomies in the Dupont Circle apartment was a Pakistani Moslem who was a fabulous cook and that is where Dawg learned to love Pakistani food. Why mess that up with talk of religion. Praise be unto Allah and pass the borrego, Dawg says.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Dawg:

I will be damned if I understand just how a thread on coconut shrimp drifted to your story but what else is new!

While we are on the Jewish topic - another story. Back in the late 70's, I was in the garment trade and we used a consulting firm by the name of Kurt Salmon Associates for our manufacturing/production processes. They had had high penetration in the garment trade and where looking to branch out to the Health Care Industry. One of their first contracts was for staffing of the new hospital Oral Roberts was building in Tulsa,OK. When setting up the recruiting rules, Oral Roberts stated: no facial hair, no smokers, no Jews and a number of other qualifications. Since they had just entered this field, they went along with his qualifications initially. I don't remember the exact number of doctors needed to staff this new facility but Kurt Salmon Associates ran into a problem - too high of a percentage of doctors were Jewish. They had to go back to Oral and tell him that they stood no chance of finding him enough doctors if they eliminated Jewish candidates. After a heated meeting, Oral decided that he needed to retreat to the prayer tower to get God's guidance on this issue. A few days later, he announced that God had given him permission and all was well!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Jesus was a Jew.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 pm

David wrote:Jesus was a Jew.

Yeah...but he converted, didn't he?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 pm

"Follow the Money"

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 pm

yes David he stayed home until he was thirty, worked for his father and his mother thought he was God.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm

ROTFLMAO! Brigitte you are one funny, saucy lady! Unfortunately, that kind of behaviour by sons (and daughters) happens in all religions these days.

When they finally move out...QUICK! DOWNSIZE!...so they can't move back in.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 pm

ferret wrote:ROTFLMAO! Brigitte you are one funny, saucy lady! Unfortunately, that kind of behaviour by sons (and daughters) happens in all religions these days.

When they finally move out...QUICK! DOWNSIZE!...so they can't move back in.

As we speak!! cheers
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Cannot take credit for this one, it is an old jewish joke. Pretty cute.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2