INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you safe?

+12
MyHomeSweetHome
kipissippi
espĂ­ritu del lago
viajero
CanuckBob
susan
raqueteer
Mainecoons
mikey1953
gringal
johninajijic
Chapalagringa
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Are you safe? Empty Are you safe?

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Hopefully yes! I've met a few of the latest victims of at home invasions. Their homes are not very secure. From the street, you can clearly see their homes, gates are metal bars. Thugs hopped over the back wall from the carretera. If they would have had razor wire that would not have happened. Unless you live in the village, you've really got to wall yourself in. Times are not what they were even 1 year ago. We can protect ourselves. A big work dog. People in the country need a dog known for security. German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Boxer, Doberman, Giant Schnauzers are all known for protecting or at least looking scary enough people will wonder if they bite. A lot of people are going for the wired security and that's good too. Some people will not be able to do that type of system if their fences have vines growing in them but there are other options. Security cameras & better locks. I met two expats today that said they have gotten a permit and are gun holders. Yes, you know who you are, lol I think it's really starting to sink in. I'm tired of being on high alert. Now time to turn off the news and live in peace.

One good thing is that other than on New Year's Eve, I haven't heard any gunfire or grenades!! That's an improvement! Very Happy

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Are you safe? Empty Re: Are you safe?

Post by johninajijic Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I have NEVER been on high alert and no one else need be either. Just be aware of your surroundings like anywhere else in the world. Guns are ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY. In the hands of someone inexperienced an innocent person can easily be killed. For those who want guns, good luck cause I'm not going to feel sorry when you get locked up in jail.

Just look around your perimeter. Razor wire OK if need be. Bars on windows ONLY if need be and you like living in a prison. If you're really paranoid move back NOB. We don't need more parainoid North Americans here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Bars on windows ONLY if need be and you like living in a prison.

To be in the above state, you must not be free to leave. The "bars" statement doesn't pass the "logic" test.
Some bars around town are works of art.
You could call a gated community a "prison". Entry is barred. And that, amigos, is the point, isn't it? Keeping the bad guys out?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Well said Gringal. But from this board, I have learned that some who live in gated communities believe that they are safe from outside intrusion. That is fine if one likes locking himself away from the rest of the world.

In my opinion, if those people living in gated communities think the gate will stop them from possible harm, they are mistaken.

Friends that I know who are in gated communities also have other security on their houses such as bars, cameras, or alarm systems. They do not depend solely on the gates that imprison their compound for their security. And if the only security I had was the gate entering the community, I would not tell anyone about it.

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:16 pm

We appreciate that our window and door bars allow us to have windows and sliders open at night for the cool breezes.

I had bars on my windows on Capitol Hill, D.C., too. And let me tell you I really needed them there.

If you look at history, this business of houses basically open to the street is a pretty recent development and not all that common around the world. The reality is that no matter where you are at, you are going to have to go to greater pains to protect your property and yourself from burglary and home invasion. Civilization is on the decline, may as well get used to it.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Well we ought to be pretty safe by tomorrow. Every known area of ingress has been addressed, including extra bolts especially on the interior bedroom doors. 12,500 volts are being installed where the dirtbags got in last week along with wireless window alarms and motion detectors on the terrazza. Oh yes, plus a 5 day battery in case somebody figures they'll cut the electricity off. I'm positively salivating at the thought of some moron getting his cojones fried on those electrified wires. Maybe a camera would be a nice accessory to record the event. Very Happy

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm

about 8/10 yrs ago, there were 2 robberies @ chula vista. the guard was shot, & the armed robbers went in. they broke into 2 houses. also in gated communities you have the staff to worry about, especially in mexico. see lakeside crime for info. personally i do not like staff, gardeners, their friend etc around me. thats not privacy. most of these people leave my street @ 2pm.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm

johninajijic:
Before calling others paranoid, maybe you should look in a mirror.
There is a difference in taking precautions and being stupid.

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

raqueteer, that was a disgusting racist thing, to call mexicans "dirt bags". then you want to record the execution of one of them? as a true liberal, you always reveal yourself. @least i am honest. & i would not "salivate" like you, watching "someone fry"- these are your words not mine. will you have a public viewing of the vid @ the next charity event? TROLL ALERT! when are you buying the camera big shot?

Last edited by susan on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed word)

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Our bars are decorative security & lovely. They look Mediterranean. Even my mother likes them Very Happy

Met someone today that said they've been here many years. Completely mellow & calm. House is backed to the carratera. Owns rotties. More than one. Never had a problem. That's what our Mexican friends say. Get a big mean looking dog. And yes, they have to be let out to guard!

I'm stayin & I ain't lyin. Yesterday, I was fine until I read Lakesidecrime before bed last night. Never again. :)

Who doesn't love hearing stories from maincoons about living in DC?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm

capitol hill is a good area. obama lives there. it the rest that is like chapala & the barrios.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

susan wrote:raqueteer, that was a disgusting racist thing, to call mexicans "dirt bags". then you want to record the execution of one of them? as a true liberal, you always reveal yourself. @least i am honest. & i would not "salivate" like you, watching "someone fry"- these are your words not mine. will you have a public viewing of the vid @ the next charity event? TROLL ALERT! when are you buying the camera big shot?

Raq is calling criminals dirtbags, not Mexicans. Does everything need to be explained susan? And yes I too would love to see one of these dirt bags fry their huevos on Raq's electric fence. That one would go viral on You Tube..........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Attention, to the slow of wit and definitely hard of thinking, anybody who breaks into my house is a DIRTBAG. That includes the Canadians who did it in Canada and the cholos here. 12,500 volts won't kill them pinhead, but it may stop them from reproducing with any luck.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:49 pm

raqueteer wrote:Attention, to the slow of wit and definitely hard of thinking, anybody who breaks into my house is a DIRTBAG. That includes the Canadians who did it in Canada and the cholos here. 12,500 volts won't kill them pinhead, but it may stop them from reproducing with any luck.

Now THAT'S what you'd call "a hot time in the old town tonight". Eh? Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

gringal wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Attention, to the slow of wit and definitely hard of thinking, anybody who breaks into my house is a DIRTBAG. That includes the Canadians who did it in Canada and the cholos here. 12,500 volts won't kill them pinhead, but it may stop them from reproducing with any luck.

Now THAT'S what you'd call "a hot time in the old town tonight". Eh? Shocked

Yes, and very few hot times in the weeks to come. The gift that keeps on giving, eh? Beer

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

They say its not the volts that get you, its the amps.I do wonder what the law here says about frying some dirtbags cojones on your electrified fence, are there liability issues.Frankly Id like to live in a big hacienda with a crocodile filled moat around it ,but I cant afford it.Sorry about what happened to you.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:33 pm

viajero wrote:
They say its not the volts that get you, its the amps.I do wonder what the law here says about frying some dirtbags cojones on your electrified fence, are there liability issues.Frankly Id like to live in a big hacienda with a crocodile filled moat around it ,but I cant afford it.Sorry about what happened to you.
Chris

Totally legal Chris, however you do have to put up a warning sign, which has a picture in case they can't read. Comes with the installation.

We had considered a pet panther, and did see one in Guadalajara one day, which had escaped from a pet shop, now no longer in business.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Susan:
There are bars and concrete walls around Obama's place of residence in DC along with much other security sush as "gates" and guards. Have you ever seen the fortress surrounding the White House? He does not live in a safe place. But, maybe he lives like us in Chapala, huh?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

however you do have to put up a warning sign,
Wonder if that goes in the case of having a trained attack dog?

WARNING! DOG BITES BALLS!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:14 pm

The problem with these attack dogs is they can be a bit unpredictable (especially when they get older). I have heard of them going after innocent people and I certainly wouldn't have one around small children. I had a friend with an ex-police dog and it couldn't be trusted around anyone but him. If the attack dog escapes from the yard and goes after a kid there will be big trouble. I would take a security system, heavy steel doors and window bars any day over the attack dog. Besides that these dogs are very expensive and will only be good for about 8 years or so........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:39 pm

thankyou so much for the information MRMikey. i always wondered how obama lived. now i know he's just folks like you.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Not a problem Ms. Susan. I am sure you are always opened to new information as well as to the opinions of others. But you are not always quite right on the facts. Obama is not "folks" like me.....

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 pm

@CB, I think you're being a bit unfair judging by one dog. Only because it is possible to train your dog for protecting it's family. The dog is trained only to attack at command. Who knows what kind of life the K9 you're referring to had before your friend adopted him. In fact, the military working dog adoption program is a big hit in the US. I would adopt one in a minute if I didn't already have so many dogs now. Something to consider down the road, if one happens to pass on. The cost would be to fly to a base & pay the expenses to bring the dog to it's forever home. I would think this would go over big here. Some dogs are only 2 1/2 years old.

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Attack dogs and guns......getting scarey but not from the "bad guys"

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 pm

mikey1953 wrote:Attack dogs and guns......getting scarey but not from the "bad guys"

This is the world we live in now. We are taking action and being defensive :) Now Annie, get yur gun!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next