INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CATARACT SURGERY

5 posters

Go down

CATARACT SURGERY Empty CATARACT SURGERY

Post by gringal Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

If you or a relative needed it in both eyes, where would you go to get it done? Experiences appreciated here, along with cost estimates for those without insurance.

Anyone had it done with IMSS?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

CATARACT SURGERY Empty Re: CATARACT SURGERY

Post by raqueteer Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Dra. Laura Choza.

Cost was about $1600 dollars per eye. This includes two free followup visits.

My husband had one eye done in November of 2010, the second one in March of 2011.

The first time surgery dragged on really late and since I was driving we had to take a cab home and pick up the car the next day. Not a huge problem since he had to have everything checked anyhow.

The second time we stayed at a hotel near the clinic, much more relaxing.

From what I can gather this is a bit on the higher side, but she did the follow up procedure free. That's apparently necessary about 30 to 40% of the time.

There were people from the U.S. who had flown in to have surgery there.

It was painless, and worked out well.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Dr. Choza did a good job for us. We liked her. It cost $3200 Pesos 5 years ago. Be carefull in choosing your lenses; opt for distance vision and she can laser correct for close vision. She didn't ask us and she did one close and one far.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 am

So how does one close and one far work out?
Do you still need glasses for reading or whatever?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

I think for some people it works well, others not. My wife didn't like it. I would suggest you consult with a good eye doc such as Dr. Elizabeth Rodriguez in Guadalajara; elizrm@gmail.com , 33-3813-5088. Receptionist does not speak english but the Dr. does.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 am

David wrote:I think for some people it works well, others not. My wife didn't like it. I would suggest you consult with a good eye doc such as Dr. Elizabeth Rodriguez in Guadalajara; elizrm@gmail.com , 33-3813-5088. Receptionist does not speak english but the Dr. does.

So David.............your wife didn't like it, but you recommended her????? Did you also have it done? And you liked it?? I'm confused now.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 pm

My husband has one close and one far and likes it. I had eye surgery about 25 years ago and the doc left one eye for close, it always worked out fine for me. FWIW.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I've been one near and one far since I was five. Plays hell on perception sometimes but it's worked just fine for 55 years. Only have Glaucoma in the right eye and can still read a book without glasses. Yeah, I know, I'm weird.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mrum Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Raqueteer said $1600 dollars per eye, David said 3200 pesos for two eyes. A substantial difference. Which is it? Or has it gone up that much in 5 years?
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Collingwood, Ontario in the summer, anywhere else in the winter
Humor : John Candy, George Carlin, MacKenzie Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 pm

The way I heard it later, the person David knows had lasik surgery which is a totally different procedure from cataract surgery. A second opinion is going to be obtained. Maybe a third. Some of the things the local doc said just don't make sense. When that happens, i start asking a lot of questions.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mrum Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm

You should ask lots of questions., Eyes are nothing to get a bargain on. I had Lasik done in Toronto about 12 years ago. $2000 per eye, done by the head of ophthalmology at St Mikes hospital. Excellent results but even that is starting to degrade as I get older. I was an 11 diopter, got done to 20/20 and now am back to 1 diopter. Best of luck to you.
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Collingwood, Ontario in the summer, anywhere else in the winter
Humor : John Candy, George Carlin, MacKenzie Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 pm

mrum wrote:You should ask lots of questions., Eyes are nothing to get a bargain on. I had Lasik done in Toronto about 12 years ago. $2000 per eye, done by the head of ophthalmology at St Mikes hospital. Excellent results but even that is starting to degrade as I get older. I was an 11 diopter, got done to 20/20 and now am back to 1 diopter. Best of luck to you.

Although the IMSS coverage is current and the local doc said their doctors were good............I'm going to go the private, out of pocket account route. I agree it's no time to bargain hunt.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:54 pm

gringal wrote:The way I heard it later, the person David knows had lasik surgery which is a totally different procedure from cataract surgery. A second opinion is going to be obtained. Maybe a third. Some of the things the local doc said just don't make sense. When that happens, i start asking a lot of questions.

A couple of corrections; the cost was $3200 US for both eyes for cataract surgery. The lasik procedure that followed was no-charge. Because the Dr. did not discuss choices on lenses and offer choices, she did what she recommends and put a lense for distance in one eye and one for closeness in the other. Following the lasik correction distance vision is perfect but glasses are required for reading.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks, David. That clears up the issue. I didn't know that cataract surgery was part of the procedure.
The person I talked to said the patient wouldnn't ......er.....recommend that doctor under any circumstances. She put it much more colorfully. lol.

On the other hand, I talked to someone else who had it done by that doc, and he's very well satisfied. I guess it depends on one's personal experience. The more of those I hear, the better prepared to make a choice.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 am

Dr. Choza has the best equipment, or did when we went there. However, the most important thing is to have the correct diagnosis before electing surgery.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down