INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted guard dogs

3 posters

Go down

Wanted guard dogs Empty Wanted guard dogs

Post by ChickenLittle Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Am looking for 2 male guard dogs. Young to be trained or mature if they don't eat chickens, peacocks or pheasants. Ok if they eat people. Please PM.
ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Wanted guard dogs Empty Re: Wanted guard dogs

Post by lunateak Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 am

I have always preferred females as guard dogs. Please spay or neuter whichever you have!
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 am

Do not get dogs with a high prey instincts like some hunting dogs or your chickens will be history.
Hard to tell which dogs will kill birds or small animals but I had 3 mastiffs,2 that were indifferent to small animals and one that would chase anything, the one wth the high prey instinct led the others and they killed a cat they had been raised with and used to sleep in their bowl as a kitten.
No matter which type of dog you get you will need to seriously train them not to touch the chickens and watch them for a while pretty closely.. One of each sex also have bette chance of getting along if they are both alpha dogs.
My mastiffs had been raised with cats, ate with them and played with them for years and out of the clear blue one day they went after the cats. Dogs are prey animals so if you have valuable chickens and other birds be very careful.
I have 3 different breeds of dogs now xoloitzcuintli, chihuahua and a terrier, the terrier goes crazy with the cats and the others leave them alone, you never know.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down