INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads.

+9
steve12542
mrum
CanuckBob
chelseagirls
Mainecoons
sparks
ferret
CheenaGringo
raqueteer
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Re: Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads.

Post by raqueteer Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks Steve, that all sounds a bit scary to me. Definitely way above our pay scale.

A great help to all on the forum.

Cheers,
raq

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Re: Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads.

Post by mrum Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm

OK, lets get to the truth. What we are doing by downloading all of our movies and shows is breaking copy-write law. By using a single source such as Usenet or Graboid which appears to just draw from Usenet, you are highly traceable through IP tracking. It may not be a concern in Mexico. However the technique used by torrents makes tracking virtually impossible. It also makes the distribution of viruses equally unlikely. That is because by downloading through Torrents, you are taking bits from many different sources, maybe several hundred. Its a globally distributed peer to peer file sharing system. Your software then assembles the bits into a readable and playable file. Its also free.
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Collingwood, Ontario in the summer, anywhere else in the winter
Humor : John Candy, George Carlin, MacKenzie Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 pm

The Usenet I remember was the old "newsgroups" that were early message boards. They also had areas that had encoded messages that could be converted to music, movies or programs. They usually came in multiple messages that you would have to save and glue together .... and then uncode them. Total pain in the ass. I'm talking mid '90's and before.

Would be interesting if newer software took all the mumbo-jumbo out of the process.

So ... does this NZBmatrix or any other software not require open modem ports to get decent speed. I'm now on a Telcel USB modem and there is no Admin panel to change settings.
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm

raqueteer wrote:Thanks Steve, that all sounds a bit scary to me. Definitely way above our pay scale.

Cheers,
raq
Ditto
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Usenet - tracing IPs and legal problems

Post by steve12542 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 pm

mrum wrote:By using a single source such as Usenet or Graboid which appears to just draw from Usenet, you are highly traceable through IP tracking. . . . That is because by downloading through Torrents, you are taking bits from many different sources, maybe several hundred.

I agree that torrenting involves the risk you describe. That's why people seek other sources.

With Usenet, no one is tracing your IP address. With Usenet, you are using an encrypted SSL connection, connecting to one Usenet provider, downloading files that even your ISP can't read. (The files could be family videos.) There's no sharing of content. The Usenet provider knows your IP address, but they don't keep logs (or no one would use them) of your activity.

No Usenet downloader has ever been sued under copyright law. Reason: What would the damages be for downloading and watching a film? $20? All legal problems arise through sharing content. With Usenet the only users at risk are those that upload movies/TV/audio to the servers.

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty A bit scary

Post by steve12542 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:16 pm

viajero wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Thanks Steve, that all sounds a bit scary to me. Definitely way above our pay scale.

Cheers,
raq
Ditto
Chris

Quitter! Just kidding.

Really, it's not that hard to set up and use. If it interests you, you shouldn't give up without trying. The payoff is huge.

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Post by mrum Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Sorry Steve, there have been large 6 figure judgements against the downloaders of copywrited materials, movies, music etc.. Remember Napster?
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mrum Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

For a recent case (2009) see ; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32236444/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/jury-awards-k-music-downloading-case/#.T1loLnmc4UU
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by steve12542 Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 pm

steve12542 wrote:
I agree that torrenting involves the risk you describe. That's why people seek other sources.

With Usenet, no one is tracing your IP address. With Usenet, you are using an encrypted SSL connection, connecting to one Usenet provider, downloading files that even your ISP can't read. (The files could be family videos.) There's no sharing of content. The Usenet provider knows your IP address, but they don't keep logs (or no one would use them) of your activity.

No Usenet downloader has ever been sued under copyright law. Reason: What would the damages be for downloading and watching a film? $20? All legal problems arise through sharing content.

The article you link to with a judgement of $675,000 specifically says the guy was "downloading and sharing music." He "admitted in court that he downloaded and distributed 30 songs.

He was clearly torrenting which requires simultaneous uploading and downloading.

With Usenet or Graboid you are solely downloading, never sharing or distributing.

I repeat: No Usenet downloader has ever been sued under copyright law. Reason: What would the damages be for downloading and watching a film? $20? All legal problems arise through sharing content.

I don't know how to make the distinction any clearer.

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Using Usenet

Post by steve12542 Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 pm

These instructions were written for a friend about a year ago. However, little has changed. So, I think they will still operate as a step-by-step guide. It will be a lot less complicated than it seems. Estimated time 30-45 minutes. You are going to love the results.

There are three parts to the system: 1) setting up an account with a Usenet service provider: where the content is stored (note, these servers do not maintain logs), 2) installing NZB client software: an NZB client manages the downloading of content, 3) setting up an account with an NZB indexer: indexer's take all the trouble out of selecting content and downloading. You select something to download, hit a button and it downloads.

SETTING UP "THE SYSTEM"

Steps:
1. Setup an Usenet service account with usenetserver.com using a special deal. I started with a monthly plan and changed to the annual plan after three weeks. All it took was an email to customer service and they changed my billing and gave me the special deal. So just sign up for a month to try it out. Again, make sure you pay through Paypal so that you can cut the recurring monthly or annual fee off at any time. As you will see the cost is less than $10 a month. See: https://accounts.usenetserver.com/register/index.php?rate=52&

Note: There are many good Usenet service providers. I started out with usenetserver.com and see no reason to try others.

2. Install the NZB client program SABnzbd. You can go to their website sabnzbd.org or download from a trusted download site like Cnet (download.cnet.com).
When installing check the "file association" box.

3. Setup SABnzbd - this takes place while installing the software,
a. Server: secure.usenetserver.com
b. Port: 563
c. User name: your usenetserver name
d. PW: your usenetserver password
e. Connections: 10 will be enough (I have 20 max but share 10 with my son) My download use 100% of my bandwidth with 10 connections.
f. Use secure SLL: check the box to encrypt stream to avoid ISP monitoring
g. Test server
h. Go to page 2 of setup and uncheck the box to automatically start browser
i. Click through pages 3 and 4 of setup and SABnzbd will appear in browser.
j. Bookmark the page in your browser.

4. In Windows
a. Put SABnzbd in your Startup folder (drag the Windows icon into the Startup folder) so that it is running in the background when you start. (The bookmark in your browser is just the interface for the program. It can do nothing if the program is not running in the background.)
b. Create two new directories on your c: harddrive: "__Transfer" and "_Transfer complete" This will make sense later.

5. Configure SABnzbd
In SABnzbd, click on "Configuration"
a. "General" - the "clean up list", cut and past this: .nfo, .sfv, .nzb, .srr, .jpg, .par2, .ssa
this will delete some random trash files that may download
b. "Folders" - temporary download folder should be c:\ __Transfer
completed download folder should be c:\_Transfer complete
log folder should be c:\__Transfer\cache\logs
c. Switches use all defaults except, check:
Use 12 hour clock
Detect duplicate downloads - Discard
Ignore samples - Do not download
d. Click on Download at top left corner to get you back to main page, then click Options
Set refresh rate for 1 second and uncheck the hover box
Close by hitting X

6. Set up your NZB indexer: NZBmatrix
a. Go to NZBmatrix
b. Sign-in (suggest you invest $20 to become a member, I donate this annually even though they never ask)
c. Click on Search tab at top
d. Under Category select - Movies: Divx/Xvid and hit Search
e. Bookmark the page to create the page you will look at first daily
f. In the search box change to TV: Divx/Xvid and hit Search
g. Select a small show and hit the download button
Check the box to associate the file type with SABnzbd
And start the download

The file should show up in SABnzbd and begin downloading.
(This transfer of NZBs to SABnzbd works differently with different browsers. If the file doesn't automatically download, just find the file in your download directory and double click on it. It should load up in SABnzbd and start downloading.)

Here is a guide someone else wrote. It may make you feel more comfortable with what is written by "some stranger" (i.e. me). http://gizmodo.com/5343260/how-to-kick-your-torrent-addiction-with-usenet or http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/08/how-to-get-started-with-usenet-in-three-simple-steps/

It's good to have several movie players: VLC, BSPlayer, KMPlayer are three good ones. Just Google those terms and download.

I think that does it.
Have fun.

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Steve, the big guy printed out the instructions and is doing it now. Will report and snags if they occur.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Changes impacting P2P torrenting in the USA

Post by steve12542 Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 am

Update on P2P torrenting in the USA:
This July major Internet service providers including Comcast, Verizon and Time Warner will begin fulfilling their obligations under the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding signed last year.

The first ‘Educational Steps’ will advise customers that copyright infringement is a breach of the ISP’s terms of service and that continuing may have consequences.

Should several attempts at ‘educating’ fail, ISPs will move to Mitigation Measures including throttling of upload or download speeds, redirection to a landing page to further ‘educate’, or even account suspension. No ISP has yet agreed to the latter and no ISP is allowed to disable VOIP, email, security, or TV services.

Note: Those not engaging in sharing on P2P networks will notice little or no change. (Example: Usenet. This system will not work with Usenet if downloaders are using a secure SLL connection to a Usenet server. ISPs can't monitor downloaded content for infringement and the agreement is designed to stop the sharing of content.)

Source: TorrentFreak.com 3/15/12

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 pm

WOW. Great info folks. Wunerfull Wunerfull.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty Update to "Using Usenet"

Post by steve12542 Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 am

Step 6 of my instructions must be changed. This step involves finding an NZB indexer. Fortunately, this is an easy step to renegotiate.

Reason for the change:
Raqueteer discovered that NZB Matrix is currently having problems accepting new members due to payment system problems. I went on the website in the member's forum and confirmed this. Apparently, Paypal has shut them out after 4 years of service (probably as a proactive step since this is becoming a popular form of harassing websites that assist in infringing activity.)

FYI: NZB indexers are the weak link in the system. They can and have been shut down for assisting in copyright infringement. (No problem for the users other than the inconvenience of possibly adjusting to a new provider.) So, it's good to have a backup indexer.

Raqueteer noted an alternative NZB.su which is free. I've played with this site and it's a bit slow and clunky but gets the job done. You can find a good list of of other alternatives here: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/nzb-sources and http://usenetreviewz.com/nzbmatrix-review/

I would recommend checking back with NZB Matrix periodically (monthly) to see if they have found a workaround payment system. It's the gold standard for finding content. It has a strong and vibrant support community and dwarfs most other sites. For this reason, it's website/tools/forum/etc have been fine tuned for years to work extremely well.

On the other hand, use what works. So, until NZB Matrix can accept payment, NZB.su is a good place to start.

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Graboid users or other systems for free video downloads. - Page 2 Empty NZB Matrix free account

Post by steve12542 Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am

steve12542 wrote:
On the other hand, use what works. So, until NZB Matrix can accept payment, NZB.su is a good place to start.

I just signed up for a free account on NZBMatrix. They sent an email with a confirmation link to activate the account. Clicked on the link and the account was activated.

Once activated, I went to the website. There, I clicked on "Your Account", then "Edit Settings". Changed the Default View to "Cover View", changed Enable Enhanced Browse to "Yes".

At this point, the site is functional.

Suggestion:
Select Movies "Brip" (bookmark page), then Movies "Divx/Xvid" (bookmark page) and last TV "SD" (bookmark page.)

You are off and running with another indexing option.
Good luck

steve12542

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks Steve, we have now watched 2 movies from the NZB su site. Looks like 1820 pages of Standard definition movies. Last night it was War Horse, and that was the best movie we've seen in years. Excellent quality.

Muchas gracias.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:34 pm

We loved War Horse too. I have kept track of the movies we`ve seen in the last two years...nearly three pages (double spaced). If you want the list, p.m. me and I`ll copy and paste it.
If you haven`t seen ``The Help``, it`s a good download too.
What`s up with my apostrophe`s...they`ve gone wonky.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:36 pm

ferret wrote:We loved War Horse too. I have kept track of the movies we`ve seen in the last two years...nearly three pages (double spaced). If you want the list, p.m. me and I`ll copy and paste it.
If you haven`t seen ``The Help``, it`s a good download too.
What`s up with my apostrophe`s...they`ve gone wonky.

I'd love the list, thanks in advance.

cheers

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Sorry Raq...sent you a PM with the list.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am

The original question on this post was about Graboid and I don't think the question of rather you have to mask your location by having a VPN was ever answered. I tried the demo in the US just want to know if we can update it here without paying for a US VPN?
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:45 am

frkshnwa wrote: The original question on this post was about Graboid and I don't think the question of rather you have to mask your location by having a VPN was ever answered. I tried the demo in the US just want to know if we can update it here without paying for a US VPN?

Your question is answered on the last line of the third post on page one.
We do NOT have to mask our location and use Graboid 100% of the time. They are located in Barbados and don't give a damn where you are using their service. Still love 'em.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2