INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pink Slime

+10
CanuckBob
hockables
hound dog
arbon
Zedinmexico
Mainecoons
gringal
johninajijic
raqueteer
CheenaGringo
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pink Slime - Page 2 Empty Re: Pink Slime

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

The official name within the Beef Industry for this product is: "lean finely textured beef" (LFTB).

The "pink slime" name came from one of the critics of the use of this product. It was a great choice because it has such a negative connotation and probably was as equally detrimental to the demise of this product as the news reports. Now that all of the reports have come out on its widespread use by the various chains, I now have a guess why there has been a variance in the taste of hamburger in recent years.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 am

Bottom line: "Where's the beef?" now has a qualified answer, as in "which part of the animal do you mean?" Answer:....."ALL OF IT".

Oh yuck. Of course, the chicken nuggets have been using everything, including the beak, for a long time.

Get used to it: Once you are classified as a "consumer" instead of a "person", all questions of ethics are off the table.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 am

"Lips and assholes" is what we refered to hot dog weiners as, for years.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

CanuckBob wrote:"Lips and assholes" is what we refered to hot dog weiners as, for years.....

I gave up eating anything that was unidentifiable some time ago. What I miss is that salty, rounded chemically enhanced flavor of a good weenie. Until I think about it, anyway. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 pm

I thought it was " assholes & eyeballs " that went into weinies & balogna... Beer

Great with Ketsup... ( I read it causes Cancer as well )
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

[quote="hockables"]I thought it was " assholes & eyeballs " that went into weinies & balogna... Beer

Great with Ketsup... ( I read it causes Cancer as well )[/quote]

Are you referring to the assholes and eyeballs of the thousands of cucarachas and other vermin who are ground up in the mix for weiners, various sausages and other processed meat, poultry and fish products or the flesh, including appurtenant organs of the slaughtered creatures wallowing ih their own filth in slaughterhouses that make up the bulk of the branded merchandise you think you are buying and why are those ingredients worse than the rodent hairs and rat turds that provide additional bulk but are otherwise indiscernable to the clueless consumer?

Maybe it´s time to try to acquire a taste for unprocessed, washed and disinfected fruits and vegetables but first, Dawg is off to Burger King at the Guadalajara airport for a Cheese Whopper and tequila followed by a raspberry filled doughnut at Krispy Kream a few steps away in the same terminal. Who said airports can´t be fun?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="hockables"]I thought it was " assholes & eyeballs " that went into weinies & balogna... Beer

Great with Ketsup... ( I read it causes Cancer as well )
Are you referring to the assholes and eyeballs of the thousands of cucarachas and other vermin who are ground up in the mix for weiners, various sausages and other processed meat, poultry and fish products or the flesh, including appurtenant organs of the slaughtered creatures wallowing ih their own filth in slaughterhouses that make up the bulk of the branded merchandise you think you are buying and why are those ingredients worse than the rodent hairs and rat turds that provide additional bulk but are otherwise indiscernable to the clueless consumer?

[/quote]

Exactly....

and a little pink slime for flavor enhancement... This allows for the claim " no artifical flavors " a claim they couldn't make if said enhancements were accomplished with an Oxxo Cube...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:02 am

This topic is yucky. Restaurant "gravy". Now, there's a Topic. What's in that shit?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am

Don't you think the FDA in the US should make companies put labels on their packages?

The mere thought of the term pink slime would turn anyone off.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 pm

'Pink slime' forces beef processor into bankruptcy:

"Ground beef processor AFA Foods filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday and said it plans to sell some or all of its assets, citing the impact of media coverage related to a meat filler critics have dubbed "pink slime."

Meat processors have faced a backlash over the use of an ammonia-treated beef filler they call "finely textured beef." Food activists have campaigned to have it banned arguing the product was unappetizing, but supporters say the product is safe to eat.

AFA is one of the largest ground beef processors in the United States and produces more than 500 million pounds of ground beef products annually, the company said in documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware.

The company sells its retail products, which include frozen hamburgers, ready ground beef and beef skillet mix, under the brand names "Moran's" and "Miller Quality Meats." ..........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46926159/ns/business-us_business/#.T3nEv2VKmnI

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm

GREAT NEWS!

It's about time these food processors were forced to disclose any possible additives, now if we could only get Monsanto, aka known as Mon Satan to fess up and maybe also be forced into bankruptcy life would get a whole lot dandier.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm

AFA is one company. BPI is another one. Don't worry plenty of spare
pink slime capacity in the system. They are not done yet even though
they should be. Finely textured beef is really amonia soaked floor scraps
and they wonder why people are saying no thank you.

What else don't we know???????? Not sure I want to know although I
should.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:44 pm

BPI is down to only one plant producing and by some reports, that plant may be slated for closure. What really ticks me off is that I bought into "Morans" being a better grade of ground beef at our local Smiths store, which is a division of Kroger.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:47 pm

'Pink slime' in your meat? Labels to tell you, USDA says:

"As consumers clamor for more transparency about the beef product dubbed “pink slime,” federal agriculture officials have agreed to allow several meat producers to list the stuff on package labels.

That means grocery shoppers soon could know whether some packages of ground beef contain the ammonia-treated meat that has been at the heart of a controversy that has shuttered plants, scuttled jobs and sparked uproar over the contents of the nation’s hamburgers.

Dirk Fillpot, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s food safety branch, said Tuesday he could not identify the firms that sought labeling changes, or even say how many were involved. He only confirmed that the agency has received voluntary requests from beef firms to change their labels to indicate it contains lean finely textured beef, or LFTB.......................................

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11006836-pink-slime-in-your-meat-labels-to-tell-you-usda-says

I would guess that one is going to have to carry a magnifying glass to read the label? The only effective term that people might understand is Pink Slime - lean finely textured beef or LFTB terminology will be way over most people's pay grade!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Speaking of bad crap, here's the latest on Mon satan. Killing farmers every 30 minutes-

http://naturalsociety.com/monsantos-gmo-seeds-farmer-suicides-every-30-minutes/

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 pm

One would think that physicians could spell cholesteral but, then, on the other hand, perhaps these morons are thinking with their butts in which their limited brain functions reside. Dawg has reached 70 years of age eating Dawgs from Chicago to Montgomery to Oakland to Vienna to (regretfully), Paris and still retains a substantial, non-toxic butt so these doctors can kiss my ass. Dawg has also ingested a substantial amount of Alabama toxic BBQ´d pork and various injera and wat dishes in Addis Ababa without, as of yet, experiencing death through a compromised, poisoned gut but then maybe CG is just trying to be amusing. Dawg would think that by simply residing in Albuquerque one would become cancerous no matter what one consumed.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am

Wrong Dawg. Cholesterol is how it is spelled.

And the environment in ABQ is a whole lot cleaner than it is in Mexico. The problem there is being blown away in the Spring or cooked in the summer or frozen in the winter. But it is a very clean, non cancerous place.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:13 am

It's a clean dry wind, heat, cold?
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:50 am

Mainecoons wrote:Wrong Dawg. Cholesterol is how it is spelled.

And the environment in ABQ is a whole lot cleaner than it is in Mexico. The problem there is being blown away in the Spring or cooked in the summer or frozen in the winter. But it is a very clean, non cancerous place.

The doctor spelled it "colesteral" which is OK in Spanish so maybe that´s what he had in mind even though he is an extranjero.

No matter how clean the environment in Albuquerque, you´re still in Albuquerque and to think that Dawg once contemplated retiring in New Mexico in either (shudder) Santa Fe or Taos (but never ever in Albuquerque.That was back in the early 90s when Dawg also naively contemplated retirement in pre-Katrina Bay Saint Louis, the hellhole Tucson and Forrest Gump´s Bayou La Batre but I came to my senses and settled for filthy Mexico. By the way, one of the towns I chose to live in down here is San Cristóbal de Las Casas which, at 7,000 feet, has crystal clear air and a brilliant sun when it´s not raining but, after living there a while, I discovered that the rivers in town are disgustingy filthy with raw sewage and the locals hate the spring weather starting in late March because the warm breezes accompanying the climate change carry within their embrace invisible, bacteria laden dried fecal matter from the surrounding hills where the fields are widely utilized for human waste disposal due to the scarcity of indoor plumbing among the poor. At that time of year, when warm breezes should be cause for celebration, these breezes are actually the cause of widespread dread, digestive ailments are ubiquitous and a cause of low productivity levels at the half-staffed places of employment (such as they are). The last time I was there in April, I was initially thrilled at the warm, crystal clear breezes but then my Spanish Language school had to shut down temporarily as most of the faculty were ill. San Cristóbal is a place where one can become ill simply by the act of breathing.

Maybe Dawg should have retired to the Dominican Republic or Colombia. Too late.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am

Well I suppose we should be happy that most of the sewage around Lake Chapala gets some treatment.

I was just having a little fun with you over the spelling of chloesterol.

We also contemplated retiring in Taos, actually went so far as to buy an amazing view property of 4 acres on the north side, just off the ski valley road. But it was just too damn cold in the Winter and isolated.

BTW, New Mexicans refer to Santa Fe as the "alien nation" since so many of the people there have little connection to the state. Or they work for it, even worse. It seems that the wind blows constantly there. A thoroughly unpleasant place IMO.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in the Albuquerque North Valley. But for us, this is the best of all places because of the weather and the ability to walk to so many restaurants, shops and places of interest. It is a constant treat to not have to get the car out for every little thing.

Sounds like you are about ready to quit San Cristobal, Dawg.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am

hound dog wrote:One would think that physicians could spell cholesteral but, then, on the other hand, perhaps these morons are thinking with their butts in which their limited brain functions reside. Dawg has reached 70 years of age eating Dawgs from Chicago to Montgomery to Oakland to Vienna to (regretfully), Paris and still retains a substantial, non-toxic butt so these doctors can kiss my ass. Dawg has also ingested a substantial amount of Alabama toxic BBQ´d pork and various injera and wat dishes in Addis Ababa without, as of yet, experiencing death through a compromised, poisoned gut but then maybe CG is just trying to be amusing. Dawg would think that by simply residing in Albuquerque one would become cancerous no matter what one consumed.

Do you think maybe you don’t actually live longer it just feels that way? Ha Ha Ha!

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Sounds like you are about ready to quit San Cristobal, Dawg.

Actually, MC, that is not the case as San Cristóbal and much of Chiapas, is a fascinating place despite the fact that there are infrastrutural problems regarding public sanitation and food safety which are attendant to places in the tropics even when at elevated altitudes. Chiapas is a wonderful place with marvelous tropical jungles, beautiful alpine forests, dramatic coastlines and an extraordinary mix of people that is endlessly compelling. Perhaps my main problem there is the primitive health care facilities and, as I get older, big cities with adequate health care facilities become more important to me personally. Dawg just hit 70 - my eighth decade on the planet. and I, as with all discerning people, now regard my inevitable return to the sod as a more personal event soon to be experienced. That´s life - and death.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 am

[quote="Mainecoons"]
...BTW, New Mexicans refer to Santa Fe as the "alien nation" since so many of the people there have little connection to the state. Or they work for it, even worse. It seems that the wind blows constantly there. A thoroughly unpleasant place IMO....quote]

We had developed what turned out to be a superficial love affair with Santa Fe back in the 80s when our mid-life crises arrived at the same time Dawg inherited some money and decided to leave Northern California and return to my home city of Mobile in hopes of opening a gourmet food and wine store which would have been the end of that inheritance had we not seen the light and hit the road for Santa Fe; a town John Erlichman had just praised in Esquire as the finest place on earth where the main entertainment was watching the sunsets over margaritas. I suppose that, since Erlichman had just been released from prison, those sunsets and margaritas took on added importance to him at that time.

It turns out that the first impression of Santa Fe a Mobile boy raised among beautiful homes, a port on a large bay and magnificent oaks with Spanish Moss, was not so favorable as all I could see were barren hills, chainlink fences and squat housing but we still might have moved there if I had been successful in finding a job in a bank there and could have afforded a home on Canyon Road on a banker´s salary. Well, it turns out that bankers in Santa Fe, which locals love to call the "City Different", were not interested in some reject from the South Alabama swamps newly arrived via the San Francisco Bay Area so, fortunately for me, I was unable to procure employment there much less buy that home on exclusive Canyon Road so Dawg headed back to California and settled on Monterey Bay where my banking talents were more appreciated and, that being California, no one cared in the least from whence a potential employee came before arriving on the shores of the bay.

Earlier this year, we returned to Santa Fe with some indigenous artisan friends from Chiapas to participate in the annual folk market there and,I must say that in the intervening two decades since we had thought Santa Fe a potentially nice place to lay down roots if we had been able to afford a home on Canyon Road, the town had not improved in the least, had suffered greatly from tacky urban sprawl, seemed to be inhabited largely by insufferable twits thinking they had arrived in "The City Different" and were, therefore among the chosen few even though John Erlichman was dead and had enjoyed his the last Santa Fe sunset and margarita and Canyon Road had become even more prohibitively expensive. We were pleased when the folk market had wound down and we could explore the rural beauty of both New Mexico and Arizona - two states with splendid environments when unspoiled by sprawling human settlements speedily constructed with, at times, too little attention paid to esthetics.

By the way, a word to those who arrive at Lakeside with that dream recipe planning to open a restaurant or food outlet. Dawg was more than prepared to part with his inheritance by opening that gourmet food and wine store in Mobile coincidentally with a new state law that allowed the sale of wines in private retail outlets as opposed to state liquor stores as historically required. After all, Mobile is a large city with a metroploitan population exceeding 400,000 souls so Dawg was going to pioneer the retailing of fine wines and complimentary gourmet food items but, unlike some who arrive at Lakeside with dreams of that fine restaurant or food store, Dawg, who had never sold even one item at retail in my whole life, had an awakening upon my arrival in Mobile and two things became apparent which caused me to flee that city and head for Santa Fe and then on the Monterey Bay forthwith:
* Dawg discovered that, over the years when wines were sold only at Alabama state liquor stores, a tradition had arisen in Mobile of driving over to New Orleans which was only about two hours distant and loading up the trunk with booze and wine which are very reasonably priced there in a competitive market with fabulous and extensive inventories of fine wines from all over the world. Going on a wine and booze run was also a damn good excuse to go to New Orleans which many Mobilians fond of alcoholic beverages will visit at the drop of a hat. No way was Dawg going to compete against that market.
* If there was, at that point, any doubt as to whether Dawg would proceed to open that gourmet food and wine store, that notion bit the dust when I met with the owner of the largest fine wines and foods distributor in Mobile with a territory extending into Northwest Florida and the Mississippi Gulf Coast for food items. I introduced myself to this Billy Bob indicating we were interested in opening a store selling fine wines and gourmet food items. His response was, " You mean like them there chocolate covered ants (he actually said, ´aints´) and stuff like that?"

Time to hit the road with small inheritance intact. Foggy Monterey Bay was calling.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

Dawg, your are losing it . You got your money and your year off in 1976 not in the 80´s, that was your first trip to Santa Fe..when Canyon Road was a dusty dirt road and when the town was still charming.The houses on Canyon road were expensive, you had to pay something like $45 000 for one!° Boy have time changed!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2