INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP,HELP,HELP,,,PLEASE

+6
Bill Phillips
CanuckBob
viajero
juanrey
David
jimbo37221
10 posters

Go down

HELP,HELP,HELP,,,PLEASE Empty HELP,HELP,HELP,,,PLEASE

Post by jimbo37221 Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

I HAVE TRIED TO GET GOOD INFORMATION ABOUT POSSIBILITY OF LIVING IN THE LAKE CHAPALA AREA. I AM RETIRED SINGLE SENIOR MALE AND MUST LIVE ON $1500.00 USD PER MONTH SS . AS I UNDERSTAND THE EXCHANGE RATE THAT IS AROUND 19,000 MEXICAN. I WOULD LIKE TO RENT FOR AT LEAST 6MONTHS TO A YEAR BEFORE I WOULD COMMITTE TO PURCHASE. MY QUESTION TO ANY ONE THAT WOULD LIKE TO RESPOND IS ,CAN I HAVE A CONFORTABLE LIFESTYLE ON MY LIMITED INCOME ?????

jimbo37221

Back to top Go down

HELP,HELP,HELP,,,PLEASE Empty Re: HELP,HELP,HELP,,,PLEASE

Post by David Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 pm

You can do it. You'd have to get an inexpensive rental and be a little frugal, but not as frugal as you'd have to be in the USA or Canada. Come visit and see for yourself.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 pm

I agree with David.
$ 500 of the $ 1,500 for rent, $ 100 Utilities & phone, etc. would leave $ 900 / month for all else. I believe one can get by on 100 pesos per day for food, which would be about 3,000 pesos. So, yes it can be done.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I agree also,while we don't pay rent my wife,son and I live comfortably on about $1500 per month in Guadalajara,it depends on your lifestyle.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Yep it is doable. Even less if you avoid owning a car or requiring a cellphone, internet service and satellite TV. The bus system is good, a land line phone and Mexican cable is cheap and there are internet cafes to access the web. There are many Mexicans living on much less.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

jimbo37221 wrote:<snip> AS I UNDERSTAND THE EXCHANGE RATE THAT IS AROUND 19,000 MEXICAN.</snip>
I'm not sure where you got an exchange rate of 19.

Here is todays exchange rate for 1 USD.

CURRENCY CONVERTER
Mid-market rates: 2012-03-26 20:22 UTC

1.00 USD = 12.6538 MXN
US Dollar Mexican Peso
1 USD = 12.6538 MXN 1 MXN = 0.0790274 USD
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:34 pm

He was trying to say that $1500 dollars is about $19,000 pesos at today's exchange rate. Yes, he mangled the sentence, but the math speaks clearly.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Sure, you can do it. Since you're single, you won't need a very large place and should be able to find one for less than $500. Our mod, Oncesubtle, can probably advise you what to expect in rentals since he's a landlord.

Food: No problem, especially it you use the many little Mexican tasty on-the-spot cooking stands and shop the sales in the stores. Stick to the Mexican canned foods, since anything imported gets pricey.

Clothes: Also no problem. it's a very mild climate and a light jacket will take care of any chilly days.

Since the buses run everywhere, car ownership is strictly an option.

The one stumbling block for expats seems to be medical issues. Private insurance is high. Medicare doesn't cover Mexico. There is Seguro Popular for rock bottom costs, and cash for doctor visits are around $200 -$400 pesos, depending on the specialty. Dental care....around $500 pesos for a good cleaning.

Per everyone else's advice, I agree you should come on down and check these things out for yourself. Everyone's ideas about an acceptable life style are different.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 am

I agree with all the above and sent you a private message for your phone number if you would like to chat.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:57 pm

gringal wrote:Sure, you can do it. Since you're single, you won't need a very large place and should be able to find one for less than $500. Our mod, Oncesubtle, can probably advise you what to expect in rentals since he's a landlord.

Food: No problem, especially it you use the many little Mexican tasty on-the-spot cooking stands and shop the sales in the stores. Stick to the Mexican canned foods, since anything imported gets pricey.

Clothes: Also no problem. it's a very mild climate and a light jacket will take care of any chilly days.
Since the buses run everywhere, car ownership is strictly an option.

The one stumbling block for expats seems to be medical issues. Private insurance is high. Medicare doesn't cover Mexico. There is Seguro Popular for rock bottom costs, and cash for doctor visits are around $200 -$400 pesos, depending on the specialty. Dental care....around $500 pesos for a good cleaning.

Per everyone else's advice, I agree you should come on down and check these things out for yourself. Everyone's ideas about an acceptable life style are different.
Boy did I get a mental picture this with one. Ha! Ha! Ha! (Just a jacket) Take Care Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Uh.........well, if he's comfortable on a chilly day with his whatevers hanging out and takes it literally.......he'll fit right in with the locals. They'll never even notice.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum