INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gossip´s Kitchen

+12
GBATRUCKS
merry
Chico
borderreiver
Parker
gringal
Zedinmexico
David
ferret
CanuckBob
johninajijic
hound dog
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gossip´s Kitchen Empty Gossip´s Kitchen

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 am

Dawg wants to say something nice about Gossip´s Kitchen and I hope I have that right as I don´t have one of their cards. That´s the restaurant I would describe as an eclectic mix of New Orleans/creole/African/East Indian/Asian cuisine/you name it on the carretera down there in and around Central Ajijic. We small town southern boys from the U.S. never know and have never known street names as is typical of Lakeside. I am reminded of an old book from the 1940s discussing Ajijic where the author wrote of directions to places around here. It seems this stranger in town was asking for directions to someone´s home and the responding local replied, "Well, you know the house down there with the chickens and rabbits in the yard and raccoons in cages?", to which the stranger repied, "Yeah, I know that place." and was told, "Well that´s not it."

Anyway, Dawg was raised around Mobile (as I´ve restated ad nauseum), often visited New Orleans lived in France for years and has an abiding love of seafood but also a great fondness for East Indian, African and Caribbean cooking but I also like a pleasant ambience in a restaurant whereever I may be at the time. This place not only turns out some very good food but in my few visits there (since I am often in Chiapas and not able to go there as often as I would like), I have been quite impressed that the staff is really having fun doing what thay are doing and that reminds me very much of dining in New Orleans and such places. There are so many places where folks just perform the routine tasks needed to get through the day but the folks working here seem to be genuinely having a good old time and if you know anything about New Orleans you know that is the major part of its charm.

Dawg was in there yesterday sucking down Pacific oysters on the half shell that were absolutely delicious and served with a variety of excellent sides. If you are like my darlin´ wife and a seafood purest, you can skip the sides as is normal in France and just enjoy your shellfish with bread and sweet butter.

Now, everything is not perfect there as is true of every place. As a native of the Alabama Gulf Coast who also lived near Chesepeake Bay for some time, I was not taken with the crab cakes but I must say that great crab cales are made in places where there is an abundance of fresh, unfrozen,picked crab so making top quality crab cakes is a tall order here at Lakeside since the picked, unfrozen crab exists only in your dreams or at great expense. If I were you I would move on to their many other highly successful food items and they have an extensive menu of fine dishes. Damn! I believe (or as we say in Alabama) "bleeve¡ I´ll be going back there today. The best seafood I´ve had in Mexico outside of the Yucatan Peninsula and the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Gossip´s Kitchen Empty Re: Gossip´s Kitchen

Post by johninajijic Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 am

Better than Tabarka? Or better than seafood at Pacifico Pescaderia that you bring home and cook yourself? I highly doubt better than home cooked controlled meals.

This restaurant had many mixed reviews on TOB. One of the biggest complaints was too heavy on salt in all dishes. I have never tried it because of those mixed reviews.

And I don't like eating on the street with the noise, exhaust fumes and the horrible dust this time of year. That was a big complaint about Manuel's in it's original location in Plaza Montagne. Dust gives you amoebas and parasites. There's no atmosphere there.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am

johninajijic wrote:Better than Tabarka? Or better than seafood at Pacifico Pescaderia that you bring home and cook yourself? I highly doubt better than home cooked controlled meals.

This restaurant had many mixed reviews on TOB. One of the biggest complaints was too heavy on salt in all dishes. I have never tried it because of those mixed reviews.

And I don't like eating on the street with the noise, exhaust fumes and the horrible dust this time of year. That was a big complaint about Manuel's in it's original location in Plaza Montagne. Dust gives you amoebas and parasites. There's no atmosphere there.

I am speaking of restaurants here, John. We prepare excellent homecooked meals with food purchased from Pacifico and that is now the only place we buy seafood in town but Brigitte is in Chiapas and she´s the primary seafood chef at Dawg´s house when it comes to fish but not necessarily shellfish. I don´t have any recent experience at Tabarka but it is also a favorite of ours as you may remember from our previous recommendations. We have not failed to patronize Tabarka because of a dislike for the place but simply because we have been out of town a lot lately and seldom eat out in restauants.

I don´t often read restaurant reviews on Chapala.Com just because I don´t - not meaning any disrespect to them. Of course, the main dish I lauded was oysters on the half shell which, except for the sides and salt bed upon which they are served, have no added salt except that provided by the sea. I woiuld guess that most restaurants oversalt their food but I haven´t noted that food at Gossip´s is saltier than the limited number of other restaurants at which I have dined recently.

Try this:

SHRIMP COOKED IN BEER
A bunch of Large shrimp (but nt too big) with shells and, perhaps, heads, intact
Lots of "fllattened" beer
Lots of cider vinegar
Lots of cayenne pepper

Boil the shrimp in this mixture. Serve with lemon butter

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 am

Where is this place and how much were the Oysters?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Right opposite the Ajijic Clinic that is painted BRIGHT blue...or opposite Monex...the street corner just before you get to Actinver if coming from your direction.
There is inside dining there as well. The street noise is awful but the food is worth it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Where is this place and how much were the Oysters?

Well, damn, CB, you are forcing an old beat up Alabamian to do some actual work which is not a natural attribute among us folk but here goes:

Gossips Kitchen is on the carretera in downtown Ajijic at #36 or on the south side at the corner of Javier Mina. You can call them at 766-0217. The oysters on the half shell are $60 Pesos for six but well worth it as the oysters I have had there have been succulent and worth the price and after all, what is $10 Pesos per oyster these days - especially oysters at Lakeside of excellent quality.

A bit more about this place. The chef is a Kenyan who got his start at the Nairobi Hilton and went on to work in Canada before working, I believe, at Number 4 here in Ajijic and then opened Gossips a couple of years ago. Many years ago Dawg lived for about six months in Nairobi and was intrigued by the mix of African and East Indian food there in some restaurants and that is one reason I was so interested in trying this place which, so far, has pleased me immensely.

You may, as John in Ajijic suggested, have heard mixed reviews about this place but don´t sweat that. Dawg says this place is a delight not because all dishes are perfect but because thay are fun and serve very good food. Also the enjoyable ambience makes dining there tremendous fun.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:36 pm

ferret wrote:Right opposite the Ajijic Clinic that is painted BRIGHT blue...or opposite Monex...the street corner just before you get to Actinver if coming from your direction.
There is inside dining there as well. The street noise is awful but the food is worth it.

Monex is in West Ajijic. Gossip's is diagonally (SW) across from Banco MultiVa.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Gossip's has a mixed reputation. I don't care for it but many many people rave
about it. I just don't think it is my kind of food rather than good or bad. More
people say good than bad about it. It is owned by one of the old chefs at 4
if I remember right. The car fumes sometimes are bad but it is packed most of
the time. I don't care for Pannins (sp) either but others rave so take me with
a grain of salt on these two resturants. I am a Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosula
or Yves in Ajijic kinda guy. I saw the owner of Gossips eating at Jasmines last
sunday. Nice man. He likes Indian food.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Gossips is for the folks who don't mind breathing in the Carretera and all its charms. Plenty of fans, based on the number of visible customers. It also tends to be greasy, hot and spicy and very salty. If that sounds like your cuppa, go for it.

Panino's is for true (gasp) "Gringo" food, like open faced beef on white bread with gravy specials. However: Nicely prepared sandwiches, clean environment, good homemade soups. Tasty desserts, especially the berry pies. Pleasant staff.
They have a great Italian chicken breast with pesto on french roll sandwich, my fave.

If Aunt Martha and Uncle Charlie from the States are visiting, you won't go wrong taking them to Panino's.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for the correction David...Multiva NOT Monex...got it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:29 pm

With horseradish in hand, I will check out this fine oyster fare later this week.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:53 pm

gringal - Spot on! No one beats Panino for good quality Comfort food, friendly efficient staff and owner and cleanliness.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm

johninajijic wrote:gringal - Spot on! No one beats Panino for good quality Comfort food, friendly efficient staff and owner and cleanliness.

Our favorite too, not only is the food and environment great there couldn’t be any nicer staff. Not fancy, just how one would like to do it at home for everyday company. (Plus they do the dishes. Very Happy )

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Ate at Gossips this afternoon al fresco with a newly arrived friend rom Vancouver, BC; a town with some knowledge of raw oysters on the half shell. We had planned the oysters as an appetizer but ended up porking out on 36 of them, a couple of glasses of wine and two beers, A fine repast. We thought briefly of orderig another 24 but then thought that perhaps we were satiated. The oysters were $10 Pesos each and she told me they would probably cost the equivilant of $2.50 Looneys each in Vancouver. Life ain´t bad at the lake.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 10, 2012 5:29 pm

We ate at Gossips today. They had a very interesting menu but of course I had to try the Shucked Oysters first. They were outstanding and reasonably priced ($120p for 12). This place also has horseradish so I don't have to say any more for those in the know.....jajaja. My daughter had the yellow curried chicken which was also fabulous. We will be back.

Gossip´s Kitchen Dsc02115

Gossip´s Kitchen Dsc02116

Gossip´s Kitchen Dsc02117

Gossip´s Kitchen Dsc02118

Gossip´s Kitchen Dsc02119

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri May 25, 2012 3:59 am

So apparently you're being served a fresh oyster on the shell for approx. 80c CDN in a resto. A very good deal. I represented our fledgling farmed oyster industry at the National Seafood Convention in Honolulu in, I think '82 or '83. Not a big deal but I did have somewhat of a clue since I was selling into the Vancouver market and beyond from a limited resource base. These oysters you're eating are coming out of the Baja - a good product, depending. From the look of the pics they are not export grade, who cares. Myself, I would present them on a bed of crushed ice. CBob, I don't get your horseradish thing. I would put a couple of dashes of good Tapatio hot sauce, lemon juice, etc., maybe, but why fk with the product. Spot Prawn season here in Vancouver. Eat your hearts out. Prawn/shrimpwise it does not get better than this 2/3 month season.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Went there today for lunch, as the two friends I was with told me this was their new favorite restauarant. I had always wanted to try it, as their menu sounded great, but had avoided it due to its high traffic and noise location.

We ate inside, but it was still noisy from the street traffic and the longer we stayed the hotter it got as basically, eating inside is eating in their kitchen.

I ordered one of their specials of the day. Cornish pasty, gravy and a salad.

The presentation was great. The salad was not bad. The pasty was less than memorable. I have eaten pasties forever and even have made them myself. The crust was the proverbial cardboard and may have outweighed the filling, which was ground beef and potatoes and had zero flavor. Cost for this little guy and the salad was 99 pesos. Not in a hurry to go back. chico.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:We ate at Gossips today. They had a very interesting menu but of course I had to try the Shucked Oysters first. They were outstanding and reasonably priced ($120p for 12). This place also has horseradish so I don't have to say any more for those in the know.....jajaja. My daughter had the yellow curried chicken which was also fabulous. We will be back.

Oh YUM!!! I consider oysters "horseradish delivery systems."

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Here's the info on Ismat Jivani, owner of Gossip's. It's our fav hang-out when we venture into the Gulch.
http://livinglakechapala.com/blog/gossips-kitchen-in-ajijic-lake-chapala/
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:Here's the info on Ismat Jivani, owner of Gossip's. It's our fav hang-out when we venture into the Gulch.
http://livinglakechapala.com/blog/gossips-kitchen-in-ajijic-lake-chapala/

An interesting background and possibly an interesting menu for some unusual tastes. I noticed that he was involved in the Toronto restaurant "Fred's Not Here". This was owned by Pedro of the Go Club and former owner of Pedro's Gourmet. We do not eat here because of the many mixed reviews from TOB.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Then you should read more reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499405-d2023402-Reviews-Gossip_s_Kitchen-Ajijic_Pacific_Coast.html
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:42 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:Then you should read more reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499405-d2023402-Reviews-Gossip_s_Kitchen-Ajijic_Pacific_Coast.html

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I will go back and give it another shot. Maybe, it was just an off day, as so many restaurants down here seem to have. Hell, maybe I was having an off day. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Chico wrote:
GBATRUCKS wrote:Then you should read more reviews

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I will go back and give it another shot. Maybe, it was just an off day, as so many restaurants down here seem to have. Hell, maybe I was having an off day. chico

Definitely good food, with a nouveau twist to everything. The only thing I don't like there is all the pasty fluorescent white knobby kneed sock-and-sandals-wearing Canadians who seem to always be gawking out from their front patio tables with food in their mouths.

Enjoy!
Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Well, damn. That was a turnoff. Maybe, I won't go back. How do you know they are Canadians? chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm

HA! ...Paint a targt on your rear & get ready for the artillery barrage from the frozen north.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next