INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts?

+13
johninajijic
Parker
Jim W
Traveller
MexicoPete
ComputerGuy
sparks
espíritu del lago
Zedinmexico
viajero
hockables
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts? Empty Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts?

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:50 am

It appears that there has been a fairly widespread hack of Yahoo email accounts. If you receive an email with phrases like: "Hey this is crazy, you should check this out" or similar wording - one should delete without opening. A Yahoo Michoacan Message Board has been inundated lately and I have received similar direct email from members of this forum who still use Yahoo.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts? Empty Re: Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts?

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 pm

What about the e-mails I keep receiving from "HotnHornyChick23@yahoo.com"? She says she wants to meet me. Are those ones OK?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts? Empty Re: Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts?

Post by hockables Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:12 pm

CanuckBob wrote:What about the e-mails I keep receiving from "HotnHornyChick23@yahoo.com"? She says she wants to meet me. Are those ones OK?

Yeah... I talked with that one.... she needs yer Visa Number so she can fly over from Islamabad... but... sounds promising :)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Islamabad or Yorkton?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Those Islamabad chicks are hot once you get them out of their burkas.Salam Ilikem.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Best to start thinking about moving on from Yahoo. But any of these free
services even "do no evil" google collect everything you write and such and
can pretty much do with it what they want. If you are just blah blahing so
what but if you care about your information or you run a business or need
to keep info as private as possible I would look for a you buy it solution
where your license is much more aimed at protecting your data not the
company who is giving you free service. Pay for your email if you care and
remember some of the folks you are emailing to might not like you giving
google/yahoo/whomever there name.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Yahoo closed my account because I never used it. It just disappeared. Good riddance.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Best to start thinking about moving on from Yahoo. But any of these free
services even "do no evil" google collect everything you write and such and
can pretty much do with it what they want. If you are just blah blahing so
what but if you care about your information or you run a business or need
to keep info as private as possible I would look for a you buy it solution
where your license is much more aimed at protecting your data not the
company who is giving you free service. Pay for your email if you care and
remember some of the folks you are emailing to might not like you giving
google/yahoo/whomever there name.

Z

I could never keep a secret anyways...

U put anything out there ( cyberspace ) U best not expect it to be private...

U want private.... hire a Courier!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 am

Yesterday I couldn't get into my email and had to reset my password. I've used Yahoo since '97. My password was not a easy one
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:54 pm

And Yahoo never says anything about why. If you dig around their website, you can find hidden recognition of the ongoing problem, in the form of "hints for safety" and items like that; as well, they've made it somewhat easier to get your password changed. But no other explanations or apologies or secuirty improvements.

I've had a dozen emails this week alone from fakesters who've stolen contacts lists. The only thing I have been able to come up with, and Yahoo back-handedly acknowledged this is one of the ways: keystroke recorders. It doesn't matter if you change your password every day: if there is a keystroke spyware on your machine, it simply records every word that gets typed after an email address is typed, and sends it off to the snoopers. This can be blocked.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm

How would keystroke recorder get on my computer if I didn't add one?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:How would keystroke recorder get on my computer if I didn't add one?

You need to understand bad guys put the stuff on your computer. It has nothing to do with you. Run free
spybot every week or so. I am sure there are other solutions.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:56 pm

That's the spyware part of it. It gets installed as a "drive-by", and is extremely difficult to detect in some cases... obviously cases like the Yahoo password grabs. There may be other ways the bad guys are getting in, but it doesn't appear to be originating at Yahoo's mail servers, so it must be on the home computer itself. Unless, of course, there are those working at Yahoo who are in cahoots.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 pm

As their recent performance proves, Yahoo is a joke of a technology company! Their answer always seems to be restructure and lay off a bunch of employees.

If you want a real challenge, try to find a phone number for anything resembling customer service. If you are persistent enough to actually find a number, then try to get anyone to actually communicate via the spoken word. They only deal with problems via email so that they can ignore them if they wish. I had a major battle with them regarding a Flickr Pro Account and only received any satisfaction after I turned them into American Express for not honoring their merchant agreement and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in San Jose, CA. By the time they got around to making a halfhearted attempt to resolve the problem, I had to delete 13,000+ photos and spend hours moving them to another photo share service.

I will never again do business with Yahoo or any affiliate!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun May 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Apparently another widespread hack of Yahoo accounts has happened very recently. Received three emails today which I deemed suspicious because they had typical message content. Two out of the three have already confirmed that they didn't send the messages.

They typically say something like: "Hey, you should check this out"

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes, they got my yahoo account maybe 3 weeks ago. And the one line message was very like the one you posted above.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun May 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Yahoo ???? Who???? Savy computer users gave up on them quite some time ago. If you want free gmail or the best pay for one. Helper guy or zed mentioned this not to long ago. It is not worth the time undoing the damage Yahoo causes .it to mention the damage the annoyance it causes to your friend's once you have been hacked.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Sun May 27, 2012 2:19 pm

That's been happening for a long time. If you get a message like that and click on the link, everyone in your contact list gets the same or a similar message from YOUR email! That's what makes it so easy to get caught - the short message and the evil link come from someone you know. Opening the email doesn't get you; it's clicking on the link that lets the invader into your mailbox contact list. So far I have managed to avoid clicking on the links, although I have received dozens of phony emails. But my husband, who is far more computer savvy than me, clicked on one in a moment of weakness and sure enough - minutes later the spammer was sending phony messages to his entire contact list. This particular spammer program doesn't seem to do any harm other than annoying all your contacts with phony messages.
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 27, 2012 4:02 pm

CanuckBob wrote:What about the e-mails I keep receiving from "HotnHornyChick23@yahoo.com"? She says she wants to meet me. Are those ones OK?

CB....she was looking for another member of the Board......Craven Morehead......he is also member of the Board....ROLMAO cheers Thumbs up
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun May 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Traveller wrote:That's been happening for a long time. If you get a message like that and click on the link, everyone in your contact list gets the same or a similar message from YOUR email! That's what makes it so easy to get caught - the short message and the evil link come from someone you know. Opening the email doesn't get you; it's clicking on the link that lets the invader into your mailbox contact list. So far I have managed to avoid clicking on the links, although I have received dozens of phony emails. But my husband, who is far more computer savvy than me, clicked on one in a moment of weakness and sure enough - minutes later the spammer was sending phony messages to his entire contact list. This particular spammer program doesn't seem to do any harm other than annoying all your contacts with phony messages.

And your friends start thinking you maybe more interesting than they thought. (joke) HA HA HA!!!

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun May 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Jim W wrote:

CB....she was looking for another member of the Board......Craven Morehead......he is also member of the Board....ROLMAO cheers Thumbs up

You guys crack me up. Aren't we all Craven Moorehead?? Too funny.

Who is he??? ROFLMAO
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm

johninajijic wrote:
Jim W wrote:

You guys crack me up. Aren't we all Craven Moorehead?? Too funny.

Who is he??? ROFLMAO

John you are a good man....and Debbie are thank ful we met....Kudos to you
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]
Jim W wrote:
Aren't we all Craven Moorehead?? Too funny.

Who is he??? ROFLMAO

This is Mr. Morehead...........

Widespread Hacking of Yahoo Email Accounts? Craven10
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Tooooooo funny my friend...BTW, the photo is Agua Milpa
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun May 27, 2012 5:37 pm

So sorry to return to the subject of this thread because this rabbit trail is so funny. BUT.... anyone who gets their Yahoo email hacked I'll bet you $1 that you used a simple password with all letters, no numbers.

There are basically call center-type shops in Nigeria, Russia, and Ukraine-type countries where the employees' jobs are to do nothing but try to figure out your too-easy passwords so they can spam from your account. Long story short... use a freakin' pass-PHRASE... a saying that you are likely to remember but a foreign sweatshop employee wouldn't. Like "IamCravenMoreheadButtUnlikelyToGetAny"

Nuttin' like tying together the topic and the digression, hee hee.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next