INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Nook won't connect to telmex

+9
rckrckr
CheenaGringo
MexicoPete
Irish Gal
johninajijic
Trailrunner
jackak10
merry
Grizzy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Nook won't connect to telmex Empty New Nook won't connect to telmex

Post by Grizzy Thu May 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I have a new Nook simple touch. It finds my telmex wifi but will not connect. Has anyone troubleshot this issue? If so how please and thanks. Yes I entered the wep key correctly.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

New Nook won't connect to telmex Empty Re: New Nook won't connect to telmex

Post by merry Mon May 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Grizzy, have you ever gotten it to connect to any other wireless? If I were you I'd go to another cafe where you KNOW people are not having problems connecting (i.e. they have their noses jammed in their laptops) and try there. If you can connect there, you know the problem is with your home network and not with your Nook. If you can't connect with either, B&N has a lot of support about this kind of issue. But really try the easy way above first.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jackak10 Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Seems like any new computer I get takes a long time to hook up to Telmex the first time. After that it's not so bad.

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I just heard today that the Nook does NOT accommodate Mexican services. When this person told me this, they said they notified Nook, who confirmed, and said it was stated in the manual (page 184 or something ridiculousness like that), this person said they wanted a full refund then, Nook said no way, this person then said 'I'll sue you for false advertising', Nook relented and refunded.

Check your manual, or find a way to hide your ISP and try that. Then buy my ebook! hahaha JUST KIDDING.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon May 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Hmm, well, there are usually ways around this. I'm not a Nook expert, but I've got a couple of Kindles and an iPad lying around for testing.

Try these ideas first:

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/64-original-nook/17480-i-bought-my-nook-u-s-but-live-mexico.html

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon May 21, 2012 5:29 pm

merry wrote:Hmm, well, there are usually ways around this. I'm not a Nook expert, but I've got a couple of Kindles and an iPad lying around for testing.

Try these ideas first:

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/64-original-nook/17480-i-bought-my-nook-u-s-but-live-mexico.html

Do the Kindles work here?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Mon May 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Kindles work here.

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon May 21, 2012 5:35 pm

OH YEAH!

If you have a US Credit Card you can get everything that they get in the US.

Otherwise you are gonna have to jump through some hoops to get it. I've helped people with this issue before and now they can get everything.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Remember there are times when you need a VPN, you know hiding the fact that you are in Mexico, something I sometimes need to do with my iPhone.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 pm

For anyone who wants to test the capabilities of a Kindle in Mexico, Amazon offers a FREE download Kindle reader for your PC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311
Once installed, you can download books to your PC and they offer many for free that make your test painless.

For those who need larger print, reading on a PC is a positive option.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 22, 2012 7:24 am

MexicoPete wrote:Remember there are times when you need a VPN, you know hiding the fact that you are in Mexico, something I sometimes need to do with my iPhone.

There have not been times that I need a VPN, but then again, I do not have an iPhone.

Merry

Not sent from my iPhone

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

Got it hooked up, thanks everyone. My telmex was down for a few days. Again. I suspect it was dropping the signal when I tried to connect initially.
The Nook is working great and the interwebz are back on again. Life is good. :)
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 am

Trailrunner wrote:I just heard today that the Nook does NOT accommodate Mexican services. When this person told me this, they said they notified Nook, who confirmed, and said it was stated in the manual (page 184 or something ridiculousness like that), this person said they wanted a full refund then, Nook said no way, this person then said 'I'll sue you for false advertising', Nook relented and refunded.

Check your manual, or find a way to hide your ISP and try that. Then buy my ebook! hahaha JUST KIDDING.

Interesting. I'm with Telmex in Manzanillo and in 2 years have never had trouble connecting my Nook to wifi, no hiding the ISP is needed. Shopping for books is simple and they are downloaded to the Nook immediately, just like NOB. I also subscribe to a weekly magazine, which is sent automatically to the Nook every Monday.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 am

Great, the test I gave above would have definitely confirmed that the problem was not your Nook. If anyone else has a problem connecting their Nook, here's the test again:

> If I were you I'd go to another cafe where you KNOW people are not having problems connecting (i.e. they have their noses jammed in their laptops) and try there. If you can connect there, you know the problem is with your home network and not with your Nook. If you can't connect with either, B&N has a lot of support about this kind of issue. But really try the easy way above first.

Merry

p.s. Of course, the fact that your computer ALSO couldn't connect should have been a giant clue........... smash comp

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 22, 2012 9:46 am

rckrckr wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:I just heard today that the Nook does NOT accommodate Mexican services. When this person told me this, they said they notified Nook, who confirmed, and said it was stated in the manual (page 184 or something ridiculousness like that), this person said they wanted a full refund then, Nook said no way, this person then said 'I'll sue you for false advertising', Nook relented and refunded.

Interesting. I'm with Telmex in Manzanillo and in 2 years have never had trouble connecting my Nook to wifi, no hiding the ISP is needed. Shopping for books is simple and they are downloaded to the Nook immediately, just like NOB. I also subscribe to a weekly magazine, which is sent automatically to the Nook every Monday.

Thanks, Rckrckr, I'm going to send this link to the guy who told me this story yesterday. Glad the Nook seems to work well here, it's my second choice for a tablet when I get to that.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 am

You're welcome.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 22, 2012 3:35 pm

rckrckr wrote:

Funny my nettalk external module (VOIP) that plugs directly into my router only works if I plug another router into the Telmex router and plug
the nettalk module into the second router. Go figure but much easier than trying to undue Telmex obvious restrictions. Anybody know of Telmex
setting that can be changed so I can scrap my second router?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri May 25, 2012 1:35 pm

All these reading and tablet devices can connect to WiFi here, allowing Web access. WiFi in your home is simply another way to connect to your Internet service. What may be confusing is when a service is offered to DATA plans, which means you can connect via cellular link, even in your car. That's 'wireless', but not WiFi.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 pm

I have a Kindle Fire and have no trouble downloading books in Mexico. But when it comes to aps, music or vid,s there is no way.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Marty:

Can't you transfer music, videos or apps to your computer and then transfer to the Kindle Fire?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 pm

No, not from Amazon. I can transfer from my existing computer files, or pirate bay ect but not from Amazon. I tried downloading a App downloader into the kindle, but no go.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Marty, maybe Benjamin can help you. Bring it to him up on Vicente Guerrero.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 am

[quote="Zedinmexico"][quote="rckrckr"]
Trailrunner wrote:Funny my nettalk external module (VOIP) that plugs directly into my router only works if I plug another router into the Telmex router and plug the nettalk module into the second router. Go figure but much easier than trying to undue Telmex obvious restrictions. Anybody know of Telmex
setting that can be changed so I can scrap my second router?Z
This indicates a connectivity problem that has to do with addressing the various network components. TelMex has NO restrictions of the sort that people might imagine. Your problem just requires a little troubleshooting, and is more than likely a fairly simple fix.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat May 26, 2012 10:48 am

martygraw wrote:I have a Kindle Fire and have no trouble downloading books in Mexico. But when it comes to aps, music or vid,s there is no way.
It's not straightforward, but it does work for everything. Just a learning curve.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Sat May 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Not sure why some of you are having trouble downloading apps for Kindle Fire. We have two of them and download apps all the time using our WiFi and Telmex DCL service. I would suspect that it has something to do with your security and payment setup with Amazon. We set ours up north of the border and they have worked flawlessly down here. We go a message about being in Mexico when we first arrived and answered some questions about security and then they worked fine after that. I think it just wanted to confirm that we were using the service outside the US and that the devices had not been stolen and using our credit card account.

Also in regard to the problem ZedinMexico made reference to about having problems with NetTalk VOIP....we brought down a NetTalk VOIP device with us that was set up in the states and it is working very well or at least it is as dependable as the TelMex DCL is which is frustrating at times of high demand.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next