INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

El Torito meets Superlake

+12
Big Daddy Mexico
Ms.Thang
Flamingo
johninajijic
Mad_Max
simpsca
CheenaGringo
ferret
Grizzy
hairysilver
merry
Chico
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

El Torito meets Superlake Empty El Torito meets Superlake

Post by Chico Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Lots of changes in El Torito in the last few months to better compete with Superlake for foreign buyers. Have you noticed? What are your thoughts?

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

El Torito meets Superlake Empty Re: El Torito meets Superlake

Post by merry Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Hmm, haven't noticed.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hairysilver Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Whats different,? Looks the same to me!!!

hairysilver

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I cannot stand the smell in El Torito. I go get a newspaper every few weeks and almost gag.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 pm

They have a looooong way to go to even come close to Superlake.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Please take note of who the fool was that started this topic. Very typical and quite nonsensical!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:44 pm

I haven't noticed any difference in El Torito and I was just there.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm

I don't go there often - but, yes, have noticed a difference.
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Chico wrote:Lots of changes in El Torito in the last few months to better compete with Superlake for foreign buyers. Have you noticed? What are your thoughts?

Please tell us what's different. It's the same old, stinky wretched place that cannot come close to SL in products or variety. And yes, I have my glasses on when I go in.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:23 am

I have noticed a wider variety of NOB foods and consistently better prices than SL. I noticed they started carrying Tillamook extra sharp cheddar which makes my sandwiches happy. I find that I can get the few things there I can't find in Chapala.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am

Flamingo wrote:I have noticed a wider variety of NOB foods and consistently better prices than SL. I noticed they started carrying Tillamook extra sharp cheddar which makes my sandwiches happy. I find that I can get the few things there I can't find in Chapala.

The reason you may be noticing more NOB foods is that El Torito is buying some of their stuff from Costco, although not as many products as Super Lake does.

Super Lake should be called Costco Mini Super for about 1/4 of their products are from Costco.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am

Has anyone seen the squirrel that lives in Superlake? It ran across the isle in front of me so fast it was just a blur ...I thought it was a giant rat! I mentioned it to the girl at the check-out and she said no, it's a squirrel and then I remembered that it "bounded" , not "scurried" ...It is huge!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 am

The funny part is watching Pancho and his staff trying to catch it. Right out of a comedy show. Pancho says it is pretty smart and is hard to catch in traps. LOL
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:25 am

Well it would be huge - it lives in Superlake! Wish I had seen the catch the squirrel show.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:53 pm

All they need to do is put out a trap.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:21 pm

El Torito, never has been, and never will be even remotely close to Superlake unless someone buys it. The shelves are half empty most of the time, and the selection is abysmal.
We can live without Wal Mart, but we couldn't make it for even a week without Superlake.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Lots of new products at El Torito and shelves are full. I bought half a smoked chicken for 70 pesos. It was delicious and is now on sale for 56. Fillet of beef. was 135 per kilo on sale for 119. Beef stew meat was 61 per kilo, now on sale for 54.50. All of these are new products with El Torito stamped on the label, freeze wrapped in their coolers. I have tried all of them and thought they were great.

However, you might want to take a pass on their meatloaf. 80 for a pound. Thought it was a little pricey, but took a chance. It was terrible. Could not finish my meatloaf sandwich. Gave it to my dos perros and they ate it, but not without giving me some dirty looks.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 pm

E-raq wrote:El Torito, never has been, and never will be even remotely close to Superlake unless someone buys it. The shelves are half empty most of the time, and the selection is abysmal.
We can live without Wal Mart, but we couldn't make it for even a week without Superlake.

Totally agree. There are only a couple of things we buy in El Torito. They have the thin skinned Grapefruits that SL doesn't. Some prices in El Torito are higher than SL.

Walmart has its place. For us their Ground Sirloin is the best in Ajijic. NO ONES hamburger can compare. Their brests of chicken bone-in are excellent. Walmart is the cheapest on Campbell soups and Barilla pasta. We don't go to Tony's anymore.

We buy our quality NY Sirloin steaks and Boneless Center Cut Pork chops, 1 inch thick at Costco, for 11 years now. Never had a tough steak or pork chop. Always high quality.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Welll, now that we are totally off topic, as usual, check out the new premium beef section of Wal Mart. Had the best rib eye I have ever had down here. Thick and well marbled, tender as could be. Not sure of the price, but think it was just over half a kilo for around 120, but it was worth it.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

El Torito meets Superlake Empty Premium beef section at Walmart

Post by merry Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Chico wrote:Welll, now that we are totally off topic, as usual, check out the new premium beef section of Wal Mart. Had the best rib eye I have ever had down here. Thick and well marbled, tender as could be. Not sure of the price, but think it was just over half a kilo for around 120, but it was worth it.

Hmm, the best rib eye I've had down here was at Bruno's. Wish I could cook 'em that good.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm

johninajijic wrote:
E-raq wrote:El Torito, never has been, and never will be even remotely close to Superlake unless someone buys it. The shelves are half empty most of the time, and the selection is abysmal.

Totally agree. There are only a couple of things we buy in El Torito. They have the thin skinned Grapefruits that SL doesn't. Some prices in El Torito are higher than SL.

Walmart has its place. For us their Ground Sirloin is the best in Ajijic. NO ONES hamburger can compare. Their brests of chicken bone-in are excellent. Walmart is the cheapest on Campbell soups and Barilla pasta. We don't go to Tony's anymore.

We buy our quality NY Sirloin steaks and Boneless Center Cut Pork chops, 1 inch thick at Costco, for 11 years now. Never had a tough steak or pork chop. Always high quality.

OMG, John........do you know where Barilla Pasta comes from????? Hint: Not Italia..... Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 pm

It's an Italian global company with production facilities in several countries, one of which is Mexico.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm

David wrote:It's an Italian global company with production facilities in several countries, one of which is Mexico.

....and where is the flour in the Mexican production facility coming from? Just my opinion, but I think it's all about the flour.
There are differences in the taste and especially the texture. And, sadly, in the price as well.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Don't know where the flour is coming from, but Barilla pasta is the only one that I'll buy here. This comes down to personal taste and preference and we're all different. To me, Barilla is less starchy than the others and can actually be cooked al dente. Their straight fettucine makes Alfredo a breeze...and their spaghetti #5, and their penne, and their fusilli. If there's no Barilla then my preference is De Cecco.
Each to his/her own. Buen provecho.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 pm

ferret wrote:Don't know where the flour is coming from, but Barilla pasta is the only one that I'll buy here. This comes down to personal taste and preference and we're all different. To me, Barilla is less starchy than the others and can actually be cooked al dente. Their straight fettucine makes Alfredo a breeze...and their spaghetti #5, and their penne, and their fusilli. If there's no Barilla then my preference is De Cecco.
Each to his/her own. Buen provecho.

Totally agree with everything ferret says about Barilla...eat it several times a week.
Mexico imports thousands of metric tons of wheat from the US and Canada (hard winter wheat) every year, and I suspect most of it winds up in these specialty food items, such as good pastas.
The inferior pastas go from brittle hard to mush directly, bypassing the al dente stage. Don't take long to figure out the good from the bad.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next