INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish teacher/school recommendations?

+9
E-raq
viajero
Axixic
MexicoPete
casi nada
saege007
brigitte
Mad_Max
Mainecoons
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Spanish teacher/school recommendations? - Page 2 Empty Re: Spanish teacher/school recommendations?

Post by eyePad Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:14 am

I don't know if it's a matter of hearing impairment. The difficulty in clearly hearing words is very common amongst native English speakers who are learning Spanish. I think I've been through every possible plateau and issue with learning Spanish. I can't explain it, but I know that if you spend enough time you will hear every word. That is the difference between what I call intermediate-advanced and first stage fluent. I can even remember the day (!) it happened to me. I turned on the TV (It was televisión española and Ana Blanco was giving the news) and about 5 minutes into the show I realized I could hear every word including prepositions. It was like a switch had been flipped. When you get to that stage you really start learning because you can HEAR. And there is no doubt in my mind even Maya you will hear if you spend enough time.

eyePad

Back to top Go down

Spanish teacher/school recommendations? - Page 2 Empty Re: Spanish teacher/school recommendations?

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:25 am

brigitte wrote:I do not think the Dawg ever heard a French accent either, he always complains that I am the only French woman he knows who does not have a sexy French acccent!
Must be tone deaf.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:21 am

viajero wrote:I learned my Spanish by dating lots of cute chicas.It didn't hurt that I was only eighteen. Surte

I take this advice I most certainly won't live to even 68 (later this year). Have a single buddy using this method, it seems to be working great for him.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:51 am

Mainecoons wrote:
viajero wrote:I learned my Spanish by dating lots of cute chicas.It didn't hurt that I was only eighteen. Surte

I take this advice I most certainly won't live to even 68 (later this year).
But what a way to go MC.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:11 am

Beaten to death by Mrs. MC?

Nope, I don't think so. LOL

I'm just jealous as all get out of people who learned Spanish when they were 18.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:30 am

Mainecoons wrote:Beaten to death by Mrs. MC?

Nope, I don't think so. LOL

I'm just jealous as all get out of people who learned Spanish when they were 18.
I'm still learning.One Spanish language learning book that I thought was helpful is( 501 Verbs in Spanish).

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 am

Yup, we got that one. A really useful reference.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 am

Ugh. I'm in the same boat as Mainecoon. Struggling. Brigette's idea sounds like a good one to me. SPANISH language films with SPANISH subtitles. I had never thought of that! I could see and hear the words at the same time! I've also noticed that English subtitles on Spanish language films, and vice versa, are often terrible and incorrect. Guess they're just trying to communicate the jist of it.

Someone else in this thread suggested it's about exposure, exposure, exposure, and then one day words start to fall into place. I believe that's true, too. I listen to Spanish language radio a lot when I'm in the car. They talk too fast for me....but I understand more and more every day.

I think you have to be willing to not hear/not understand a lot, over and over again, before you start to hear and understand a lot more, bit by bit. It takes patience, and diligence.

It's definitely a grind. And books are only worth so much. But there comes a point when you can actually hear it better...and then speak it better....and it's so worth the effort!

mariachi

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Mainecoons wrote:

I take this advice I most certainly won't live to even 68 (later this year). Have a single buddy using this method, it seems to be working great for him.

Don't get this at all..."uh huh, uh huh, oh yeah" sounds exactly the same in all languages :)

Axixic, you are a musician. If you can sing, you will "hear" the language far more quickly than someone who is tone deaf. I'm not talking about going deaf as a part of being older...that makes it extremely difficult to learn the language and I applaud those who are trying because it must be very frustrating.
As written earlier, all of a sudden one day your ears open to the language. It's a process and you will be able to make yourself understood long before you will understand what is being said back to you. Have patience, TALK, TALK, TALK, make mistakes, laugh at yourself and starting talking some more. Those who want to have it all perfect before they open their mouth will never achieve a comfortable level of communication.
Don't give up if you don't find a teacher that works for you. Everyone learns differently and everyone teaches differently. It's a matter of finding the right fit.
Personally, I hate the Warren Hardy teaching method but it has worked for many people. I LOVE "Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish" and an equal number of people hate it.
Another point I would like to make is that educated Spanish speakers are usually far easier to learn from...they enunciate the words properly and clearly...same as in any language.
Don't ever give up. Most Mexicans have a truly wicked sense of humour and I'm sure they would appreciate yours.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Spanish teacher/school recommendations? - Page 2 Empty Spanish Lessons

Post by dcampbell757 Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Ole Mexico Language school...Does anyone have phone # 0r EMail address?

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 am

766-2068

e-mail: info@institutoolemexico.com
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2