INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna

+6
Walter
johninajijic
LMarkoya
RoofBob
E-raq
CheenaGringo
10 posters

Go down

In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna  Empty In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

"PORTLAND, Maine — A glut has driven down lobster prices in Maine — bringing cheer to lobster-loving consumers at the start of the state's tourist season but gloom among lobstermen.

Retailers have been selling small soft-shell lobsters in the Portland area for an unusually low $3.79 to $4.99 a pound. At those prices, lobsters have been selling for less than the per-pound price of bologna at many supermarket deli counters.

Zain Nemazie, of Austin, Texas, was expecting low lobster prices — but not this low — while on vacation in Maine with his family.

"This is as good as it gets," Nemazie said late last week after paying $4.59 a pound for large 1 1/2-pound lobsters at a seafood shop on Portland's waterfront. "We're from Texas, where we'd be paying at least $12 a pound."

At Docks Seafood in South Portland, owner Bob Coppersmith said customers were eating up the low prices, including a deal where he was selling five small live lobsters for $25. He later dropped it to five for $24........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48047467/ns/business-us_business/#.T_Lsy2UXtaE

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna  Empty Re: In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna

Post by E-raq Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:20 am

Oh dear gawd, what I wouldn't give for a mess of lobsters right now. Maybe in Canada we can get a good deal, however unlikely that sounds. Plus some of Mrs. Marlowe's handmade melted butter. That's what I call heaven.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna  Empty Re: In Maine, lobster that is cheaper than bologna

Post by RoofBob Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 am

Road trip!
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm

RoofBob wrote:Road trip!

heheheh Bob
Be sure on your way to Maine to stop by in Connecticut and we'll party
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 pm

We visited our friends in Toronto two years ago and they wanted to feed us lobster. I remember looking at the price which was $ 3 - $ 4 a pound higher than the States. I believe they were $ 9.99 a pound.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Time to get home for another visit! Very Happy
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 am

Believe it or not in Mass. which included Maine at the time in the old days of
endentured servents it was against the law to feed your servents lobster
more than so many days a week and frankly other than lobster roll I have eaten
so much Lobster in my life it kinda bores me. Feel the same way about smoked
Salmon after eating too much of it over the years. I know I know.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Believe it or not in Mass. which included Maine at the time in the old days of

Z

Hey Zed, you mean there's another person beside me who doesn't like Lobster! I'll take Shrimp any day of the week. My Dad loved Lobster. He came home with a 12 lb one day and boiled him up. He got it fresh at James Hook Lobster on Atlantic Avenue (Waterfront) in Boston where he used to service their heating plant.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:01 am

In Nova Scotia when I was younger, it was common to find cheaper lobster prices at the grocery stores, than at the lobster pounds along the coast. We called the lobster traps "tourist traps".
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 am

HelperGuy wrote:In Nova Scotia when I was younger, it was common to find cheaper lobster prices at the grocery stores, than at the lobster pounds along the coast. We called the lobster traps "tourist traps".

Nova Scotia is ine of the nicest places to visit in Canada. We have been there 4 times all over NS. My Dad had a boat built there in Digby oh so many years ago, I think 1966.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

johninajijic wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Believe it or not in Mass. which included Maine at the time in the old days of

Z

Hey Zed, you mean there's another person beside me who doesn't like Lobster! I'll take Shrimp any day of the week. My Dad loved Lobster. He came home with a 12 lb one day and boiled him up. He got it fresh at James Hook Lobster on Atlantic Avenue (Waterfront) in Boston where he used to service their heating plant.

I’m personally into fresh crab.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 am

Parker wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

Z

I’m personally into fresh crab.

Yep had too much crab also. LOL I guess if you live in Maine you get sick of lobster and if you live in Oregon you get sick of Crab. I know I
am sick of smoked Salmon.

z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Has anyone tried the smoked salmon at the fishery beside Tony's? He really smokes his salmon; it's not the thin scrapings that pass for commercially-sold smoke salmon. I am not a fan of that stuff, but after I tried this guy's, I am a convert. It ain't cheap, though.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm from Oregon and am definitely NOT tired of Dungeness Crab or Smoked Salmon. I smoke my own salmon and also make gravlax. The problem here is only farmed fish from Chile are available. Sometimes Costco has Pacific salmon. I tried Estaban's smoked salmon and wouldn't spend a peso on it myself. Mind you, it wasn't bad but not up to my standards.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Is that the guy's name, Estaban? Owner or manager, because I only ever see the manager. At least he's trying to be different, I think. BUT since it's the first "real" smoked salmon I've had, I have nothing to compare it to but the slick grease in those thin packages.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Has anyone tried the smoked salmon at the fishery beside Tony's? He really smokes his salmon; it's not the thin scrapings that pass for commercially-sold smoke salmon. I am not a fan of that stuff, but after I tried this guy's, I am a convert. It ain't cheap, though.

Go to the stinkiest fish store in Ajijic? NEVER!!! You can smell it in Tony's parking lot and inside Super Lake. We have Pacifico Pescaderia in La Huerta Plaza in West Ajijic that is the finest Pescaderia in Ajijic with the "largest" selection at best prices. The Tapatios form a line on weekends.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm

So who are you referring to? Wait, isn't refusing a fish store because of its fishy smell bigoted or something?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 pm

HelperGuy wrote:So who are you referring to? Wait, isn't refusing a fish store because of its fishy smell bigoted or something?

Wrong terminology, it is your choice where to shop. It means that their fish is not fresh.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 pm

My poor attempt at humour. I've been on this board a few weeks now, and it's increasingly clear which posters are narrow-minded, self-aggrandizing bags of air.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:17 am

HelperGuy wrote:Has anyone tried the smoked salmon at the fishery beside Tony's? He really smokes his salmon; it's not the thin scrapings that pass for commercially-sold smoke salmon. I am not a fan of that stuff, but after I tried this guy's, I am a convert. It ain't cheap, though.

Yes, at a dinner party the other night, appetizers, smoked salmon on wasabi rice crackers and it was great.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down