INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales?

+6
binky
Hensley
CheenaGringo
twelveoaks
Jim W
Axixic
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales? Empty Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales?

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Still a little early but was looking at the route we will be taking down and we intend to cross at Nogales. Likely aim to overnight in Navajoa (depending on time of arrival).

Anyone driven this route recently or planning to in the next little while? Anything we should know about crossing there? My partner has driven the route Northbound but it will be the first time Southbound for both of us.

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales? Empty Re: Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales?

Post by Jim W Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Axixic wrote:Still a little early but was looking at the route we will be taking down and we intend to cross at Nogales. Likely aim to overnight in Navajoa (depending on time of arrival).

Anyone driven this route recently or planning to in the next little while? Anything we should know about crossing there? My partner has driven the route Northbound but it will be the first time Southbound for both of us.

We try to cross on Saturday or Sunday mornings...early...7-8 AM, as there is little southbound traffic. Navajoa has a Best Western that has good parking lot security. They have full service restaurant, very clean, rooms were between 700-800 pesos earlier this year. Heading South they are on the right as you enter Navajoa. Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales? Empty Re: Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales?

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Thank Jim - my partner stayed at the Best Western on the northbound leg so we'll likely aim for that. I don't know about the timing - depends on the rest of the trip down, I guess. If we made Phoenix the night before, how long you figure from there to the border?

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Recent Experience Crossing at Nogales? Empty crossing

Post by twelveoaks Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:17 pm

When you cross at Nogales use the Mariposa crossing which will avoid Nogales, Mexico unless you wish to drive through there.

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 pm

twelveoaks wrote:When you cross at Nogales use the Mariposa crossing which will avoid Nogales, Mexico unless you wish to drive through there.

No particular need or desire to cross right at Nogales. Can you tell me anything more about the Mariposa crossing - first I've heard of it.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Axixic wrote:Thank Jim - my partner stayed at the Best Western on the northbound leg so we'll likely aim for that. I don't know about the timing - depends on the rest of the trip down, I guess. If we made Phoenix the night before, how long you figure from there to the border?

Depending on traffic, Phoenix to border...approx. 2- 3 hours. If you can plan the trip to make it thru Tucson, there are many roadside motels before you get to the border. If you don't have your car sticker, you might want to order it on line.....Intercasa can help you with this. I've ordered my last 2 on line, it takes less than 3 days...they overnight to your USA home.....can save you alot of time at the border. This service cost me around $35.00. Thumbs up My 1st trip down it took 2 hours getting vehicle permit @ border...just an FYI Thumbs up
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Just looking at the map - so Southbound I19 take westbound 189 (W Mariposa Road) - is that it?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm

[quote="Jim W"]
Axixic wrote:Depending on traffic, Phoenix to border...approx. 2- 3 hours. If you can plan the trip to make it thru Tucson, there are many roadside motels before you get to the border. If you don't have your car sticker, you might want to order it on line.....Intercasa can help you with this. I've ordered my last 2 on line, it takes less than 3 days...they overnight to your USA home.....can save you alot of time at the border. This service cost me around $35.00. Thumbs up My 1st trip down it took 2 hours getting vehicle permit @ border...just an FYI Thumbs up

Tucson - right. That makes more sense.

And thanks for the heads up about the sticker - partner would have surrendered the existing one on the Northbound trip I'm sure so we will need to get another.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Axixic wrote:
twelveoaks wrote:When you cross at Nogales use the Mariposa crossing which will avoid Nogales, Mexico unless you wish to drive through there.

No particular need or desire to cross right at Nogales. Can you tell me anything more about the Mariposa crossing - first I've heard of it.

Zed uses this route....check out the map...If you are driving from east to Phoenix, Mariposa is not the best option, timewise or mileage. PM Zedinmexico.....he always takes the Mariposa route, on his trips here from Seattle.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Sorry - you lost me. Are you saying that Zed has an alternative to the Mariposa that is better? We will be coming south from Las Vegas, Phoenix direction.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:41 pm

RE: Auto Permit

If you are into saving time and not having to wait around while the Car Permit guys stamp everything 6 times, you can order your permit online. Here is a great resource that explains the entire process:
http://rollybrook.com/vehicle_permits.htm#Getting_

The following link should take you to the Banjercito permit form:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/opcionCaptura.do;jsessionid=C324C7BCD019BA7C4B56538965962845

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks Neil.

Do you know, will they send it to Canada?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Axixic wrote:Thanks Neil.

Do you know, will they send it to Canada?

Never mind - found the answer - they will.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:22 pm

RETURN TRIP FROM NOGALES: May 2012

If you want to get as far as Navajoa, be sure to be on the road in Mexico by noon (remember you lose an hour if Daylight Savings is in effect in Mexico). Be sure to start the trip with a full tank of gas. As you come down HWY 19 from Tucson, take Exit #4, Mariposa Ave. Turn right at the light. When you get close to the border, stay in the left lane as you approach the big construction zone. You’ll pass a couple border guards looking bored, then zig-zag around towards some buildings. Big curve to the right, stay to the left and head up the hill on the left towards Hermosillo, not on the right towards Nogales –Centro. Several miles of up-and-down no-man’s-land, through the “Cuota” toll booth, then signs for “Auto-Declaration.” Follow signs for “autos – nothing to declare.” Big topes, then the Red-Green light – this is the first of 2 customs checks. The next is at the 14-kilometer place where you register you car if you’re a tourist coming in to Mexico. Assuming your FM2-3 is in good order, and you have your sticker on your car, go right past this. After this is the 2nd customs check-point, keep towards the right, in the “auto – nothing to declare” lane, then the 2nd Red-Green light.

BAD roads all the way to Magdalena. On to Santa Ana, and then a long construction zone between Santa Ana and Hermosillo. (See Northbound driving info.) Coming in to Hermosillo, wide boulevards with stoplights for several miles. Look for signs to Guaymas, you’ll make a left turn at one of the stoplights, it’s well marked. Through the old run-down residential area, just follow big-rigs and buses. You’ll wind up back on another wide boulevard, follow signs to Guaymas. At this point we had to detour on a ridiculous route through the city – if this is still in effect, look for the small orange signs to Guaymas (the regular highway signs are all green). Under normal conditions, you’ll bear to the right after a couple miles of this wide boulevard, past a big prison with big towers, following green signs to Guaymas. This feeds you on to another big street, you’ll be making another left turn at a big intersection after a mile or two. There are at least 3 gas stations on the south end of town, after you’ve left the city proper, be sure to gas up here.

On to Guaymas and Obregon. If you are late getting started, there is a nice little hotel in downtown Guaymas, but it’s not easy to find. Try to get on to Obregon, there are lots of signs pointing to hotels in the downtown area, and there are always “no-tell motels,” but these do have a 12-hour limit, which means you have to be on the road very early next morning. Through Obregon, just follow the highway traffic, follow road signs. Road construction on the road to Navajoa (see Northbound driving info.)

On to Navajoa. Again several good motels, mostly at the north end of town. As you leave Navajoa, follow signs to Los Mochis and Mazatlan. At the south end of town, big intersection that “Y’s,” you bear to the left, it’s not well marked. From here on to Culiacan, and there are plenty of gas stations along here.

As you leave Culiacan, there will be a sudden turn off exit to the right, to Mazatlan, up and around a curve. Pay attention here, it comes up fast and is easy to miss. There are still gas stations along this stretch, be sure to fill up no later than Mazatlan. When you come in to Mazatlan, follow the signs to Tepic and Guadalajara. There may be detours here as well, just keep an eye out for road signs. There is a beautiful “no-tell motel” on the south side of town, on the right, called SOLE, where we have stayed. We often go into the Centro district to stay at small hotels there, and you should probably have a guide book to find these places, it’s a good 20-minute drive into the heart of the city, too complicated for instructions here.

From Mazatlan, it’s 6 hours to Guadalajara, and fairly straight-forward. You lose an hour between Tepic and Guad again (4:00 becomes 5:00). As you approach the city, you come in through the suburbs, and will see signs for the Periferico-Sur. You will go down under an underpass, and then up and over an overpass, right before the turn off to the Periferico. From there, it’s 13 miles to the Chapala highway and the road home.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm

If you are driving down soon, with these longer days, you can opt to make it in one night from Tucson by overnighting in Los Mochis. That will make each day 10 1/2 hour drives. Otherwise, you can overnight once in Navajoa (BW is fine, but ask for room way in back, to avoid noise traffic). 2nd night Mazatlan area.

There are rarely lines crossing SB (NB a whole different story). I prefer to drive in Mexico on Monday through Thursdays; Fridays/Sats/Suns can result in noisy hotels, wedding partys and no vacancies, or so I've encountered.

binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Axixic wrote:Sorry - you lost me. Are you saying that Zed has an alternative to the Mariposa that is better? We will be coming south from Las Vegas, Phoenix direction.

No, this is the route he takes from Seattle southbound. Zed and I discussed this last year, and from Phoenix is a much longer drive. I have not taken the Mariposa drive from Phoenix. Whichever route you choose.....have a safe trip. Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Hensley & binky

Wow - thank you both - such excellent information. Since we will be pulling a trailer I think it best to stay at places with secure parking areas so will likely avoid the "no-tells" but otherwise really great info. Thanks.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Jim W wrote:No, this is the route he takes from Seattle southbound. Zed and I discussed this last year, and from Phoenix is a much longer drive. I have not taken the Mariposa drive from Phoenix. Whichever route you choose.....have a safe trip.

Okay - clear now. Thank you Jim.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Axixc... We enter through Mariposa on our way to San Carlos. No need to stop there unless you have something to declare.

At K21 you will pull over and park (to the right) and get your visa and car permit. Then head on south.
Only took a long time once, when we inadvertently crossed south on the first day of the paisano program. Live and learn. Rolling Eyes Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks Lizzy - we will have to declare I suspect (they do the red light green light thing, I assume).
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 pm

I believe one declares at the border. There is a red/green light at K21. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 am

At Mariposa you pick either the 'something' or the 'nothing' to declare lane. If you choose the 'nothing' to declare lane, you are still subject to a green/red light before final entry.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for the clarification, binky.

You guys are great.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 am

Axixic wrote:Sorry - you lost me. Are you saying that Zed has an alternative to the Mariposa that is better? We will be coming south from Las Vegas, Phoenix direction.

No but for us folks who come from more to the west we come in at Lukeville Arizona pick up Mexico highway 2 and meet 15D in Santa Anna.
Highway 2 is safe but don't turn off it. The Lukeville customs immigration station is very small and most always close to empty. At KM 23 or
so you stop and turn in your papers or get your papers depending on going north or south. You will also be searched 80 KM west of Santa
Anna. Lots of law enforcement. Mostly high quality two lane road with wide shoulders.

NOTICE: When going through Hermisillo going south the detour signs are not clear. Pay attention and look for the small detour signs. No
problem going north.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 am

Excellent Z - thank you.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next