INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change

+14
frkshnwa
jrm30655
borderreiver
Jim W
shana
sundown
Carry Bean
johninajijic
CanuckBob
viajero
gringal
binky
Grizzy
Zedinmexico
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 Empty Re: OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change

Post by Parker Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:27 pm

I just have to relate this story. It was about 1970 and several of us had just graduated from the University and our parents felt that we had earned a break so we were off to Hawaii.

Now the 747 that we were flying on was one of its first flights, with a bar located in the center of the plane. Now stewardess didn’t deliver drinks and snacks to your seat, you went and got your own. (Can you even imagine having isles wide enough to accommodate this kind of activity today, didn’t last long; in fact this may have been its maiden voyage, never to be repeated.) Anyhow, most of the passengers over imbibed, got plastered and you can imagine the rest of the story. It’s one of those glad I was there but wouldn’t want to do it again stories.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 Empty Re: OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change

Post by hound dog Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote="Parker"]I just have to relate this story. It was about 1970 and several of us had just graduated from the University and our parents felt that we had earned a break so we were off to Hawaii.

Now the 747 that we were flying on was one of its first flights, with a bar located in the center of the plane. Now stewardess didn’t deliver drinks and snacks to your seat, you went and got your own. (Can you even imagine having isles wide enough to accommodate this kind of activity today, didn’t last long; in fact this may have been its maiden voyage, never to be repeated.) Anyhow, most of the passengers over imbibed, got plastered and you can imagine the rest of the story. It’s one of those glad I was there but wouldn’t want to do it again stories.[/quote]

My first trip to Europe in 1966 was on the Itañian student ship the Castel Felice from New York to Amsterdam. That cost me about $250USD,took 10 days and was crammed with a couple of thousand young folks prepared to party endlesly for the entire trip. Beer was $0.25 per can and booze was about $1.00 per drink. Great Italian food. A ten day cruise across the Atlantic and a thousand times more fun than a miserable cattle car adventure today. Gone with the wind.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Come on Dawg! I know you can do better than that in twisting a yarn about world travel!

Air travel was so much fun back in the days of the DC3, the DC6, the Boeing Stratocruiser, the Convair series of airplanes and then finally the Boeing 707 and the Sud Aviation Caravelle.
[img]OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 220px-10[/img]
[img]OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 220px-11[/img]
[img]OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 300px-10[/img]
[img]OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 300px-11[/img]

I particularly remember the Stratocruiser because of the two levels and the bunks that PanAm offered. Then in 1959, the PanAm 707 and Air Chance Caravelle flights were quite memorable. Especially flying from Manila into Saigon on Air Chance in 1959 while the pilots made special evasive maneuvers at the end of the Saigon runway to avoid sniper bullets! I will admit that all of those flights were first class.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:56 pm

[quote="CheenaGringo"]Come on Dawg! I know you can do better than that in twisting a yarn about world travel!

OK, CG:

You´ll appreciate this. In 1969, Dawg bought a second class train ticket fron Bombay to Gujarat to Shrinigar to Delhi to Darjeeling to Nepal to Calcutta to Madras to Bangalore and back to Bombay for the equivalent of $13USD. On a particularly dangerous part of this journey I was informed by the conductor that I should be cautious but that I had proven prudent in not having gone first class as bandits would have been more likely to have slit my throat in the midde of the night had I been traveling exhibiting the appearance of wealth.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Well Dawg, even though we lived in India for an extended period, your train experience far exceeds mine! I only took the train New Delhi to Musoorie and back when going to and from boarding school 1960 to 1962 when I was told not to return:
[img]OK so you just got blessed with a big chunk of change - Page 2 School10[/img]
This was a trip of about 300 kms and as I remember took 5 to 6 hours. The good thing was that I got to fly an India Air DC3 or DC6 from Bombay to New Delhi.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2