INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wall Murals - looking for an artist

+9
brigitte
Parker
Zedinmexico
gringal
Flamingo
martygraw
Rosa Venus
CheenaGringo
otrocanuck
13 posters

Go down

Wall Murals - looking for an artist Empty Wall Murals - looking for an artist

Post by otrocanuck Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:54 am

I am looking for someone who can paint wall murals, similar to the ones located on the roadside as you enter Chapala from Ajijic.

This will be a big project and I have not been involved with one before. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

I have seen many examples on the internet and ones that are three dimensional drawn on sidewalks, you would think they were real, I am very impressed with these.

OtroCanuck.javascript:emoticonp('mariachi')
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Wall Murals - looking for an artist Empty Re: Wall Murals - looking for an artist

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Very biased since we know him - Efren Gonzalez. He painted the mural in the stairwell in Chapala City Hall and many other things in the area. Link to a bunch of examples of his work:
https://www.google.com/search?q=efren+gonzalez+ajijic&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=3W2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4IINUKfZH6PO2wXwi5wg&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wall Murals - looking for an artist Empty Re: Wall Murals - looking for an artist

Post by otrocanuck Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks for the response Neil. I will wonder over to city hall and take a closer look at his work. Murray
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm

There are several local artists who can and do paint wall murals. Efren is one, and he's a talented artist and a great guy. The man who painted the mural outside Chapala (and also the side of the Delegación building in Ajijic) is Zaragosa. (His first name is somehow escaping me at the moment, but he has a studio on Constitución in Ajijic.) Another possibility is Victor Romero in Ajijic. Or Jose Lopez Vega. And there's another (I think younger?) fellow in Ajijic who has done some murals that are in that early twentieth century, revolutionary style. (Obviously, I wasn't an art history major....can't think of the correct term, and I can't think of the artists name at the moment either. I want to say Victor something, last name starts with an "A", I think.)

Lots of talented artists locally. You just need to find the right person and style. They held a mural contest for the bicentenario in 2010 and all of them participated. Their entries are scattered around Ajijic.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Murray:

Like many of the other artists mentioned by Rosa, Efren isn't trapped into one style. The mural in City Hall is a bit radical:
https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/CHAPALACITYHALLMURAL?authkey=Gv1sRgCNqn4p3Nvab8Wg#5548701437852791026

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Javier Zaragosa is the name of the artist that painted the mural on the way into Chapala.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Victor Alcazar is the artist whose name I couldn't recall earlier.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Just an FYI. The three dimensional sidewalk art is a different animal altogether. You could show some examples to the artists but the sidewalks are done in chalk which is a very different medium. They may not be able to replicate them in paint on a wall.

http://www.boredpanda.com/5-most-talented-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artists/

Last edited by Flamingo on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Victor Alcazar is the artist whose name I couldn't recall earlier.

Victor moved to Southern Mexico some months ago.

The one who painted the mural going into Chapala is Senor Zaragoza.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Didn't Efren say he was going to stop doing murals? I seem to
remember something like that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for the link, Flamingo. Those are amazing!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Flamingo wrote:Just an FYI. The three dimensional sidewalk art is a different animal altogether. You could show some examples to the artists but the sidewalks are done in chalk which is a very different medium. They may not be able to replicate them in paint on a wall.

http://www.boredpanda.com/5-most-talented-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artists/

I believe it’s called “trompe l’oeil”, love this type of art.

”Trompe-l'œil, which can also be spelled without the hyphen in English as trompe l'oeil, French for deceive the eye, pronounced [tʁɔ̃p lœj]) is an art technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions. Forced perspective is a comparable illusion in architecture.”

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Flamingo - what a great link!!! thanks for sending it to me
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Ask the various artists to show you what they can do and ask them to show you some of the work they did.
They all do interesting things, Efren also does other type of art on walls, look at the clay bas relief he did on the school accross from the church in Ajijic.
I have a mural by Efren and my neighbor has a couple. I also have some large painting done on a pantry done by Victor Romero. You can send me a pm if you have questions.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

The sidewalk stuff is based on anamorphic distortion.....the perspective is such that it only really works when viewed from a single point, or close to that point....less effective on walls as it requires a lot of space
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Here are some links for Antonio Lopez Vega. His brother, Jesus, may have left town but Antonio is still here and does many murals.

http://www.mexico-insights.com/judysblog/?tag=/Antonio+Lopez+Vega

http://www.lakesidedirectory.com/business/galeria_ajijic.htm

PM me if you wish to contact him.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their contributions, I have several leads now and will be starting to contact artists for quotes. once this is completed I will post a new topic inviting you all to come and see the mural.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey Otrocanuck, I see Saltspring Isl. That's not far from the family cottage on the "big Island". At least you're not from the Lower Mainland. Well I take that back, they do have the Currey girls.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 pm

depending on what you want painted and how large, if the other artists you contact cant do it then let me know, ive done a couple but its been quite awhile. Also, it would be better to get a local to do it and give him the paycheck.
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down