INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA?

+17
hound dog
Canuck
Walter
arbon
Big Daddy Mexico
sparks
CheenaGringo
Zedinmexico
ComputerGuy
slainte39
viajero
hockables
David
espĂ­ritu del lago
CanuckBob
quiltbugj
johninajijic
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA? Empty Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA?

Post by johninajijic Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Why can't restaurants here make really good Pizza? It's easy to make. It's not rocket science.

Where have you had really good Pizza?

IMO, we think Trattoria di Ajijic makes the best brick oven pizza with proper tasting crust, the right amount of sauce, cheese and olive oil.

The others cannot hold a candle. We've tried Toscana, Ajijic Tango, Taverna and Pepe and Auroras. We now make our own every Saturday night.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA? Empty Re: Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA?

Post by quiltbugj Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

That's funny, when we were in Rome, we said, "Why can't any restaurants make a decent carnitas??

Just joshin' ya!!
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA? Empty Re: Why Can't Restaurants here Make Really Good PIZZA?

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:21 pm

johninajijic wrote:Why can't restaurants here make really good Pizza? It's easy to make. It's not rocket science.

IMO, we think Trattoria di Ajijic makes the best brick oven pizza with proper tasting crust, the right amount of sauce, cheese and olive oil.

The others cannot hold a candle. We've tried Toscana, Ajijic Tango, Taverna and Pepe and Auroras. We now make our own every Saturday night.

John, your definition of good pizza could be a long way from someone else's definition. As an example we really enjoy Pepe's thin crust pizza and The Scores thick crust pizza. I think drizzling olive oil on a pizza is gross. I like lots of ketchup on mine.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Ketchup????? Seriously???????? I like anchovies on my pizza!!!!!! Try and get anchovies....
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:51 pm

The Score makes excellent pizza and Aurora's is pretty damned good.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 pm

K.... You halfta be kidding about Anchovies.... Yuk...
razberry
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 pm

johninajijic wrote:Why can't restaurants here make really good Pizza? It's easy to make. It's not rocket science.

John in a previous post you said this "What does a Mexican know about making pizza?"My question is why bring it up again if you already think you know the answer?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:47 pm

espĂ­ritu del lago wrote:Ketchup????? Seriously???????? I like anchovies on my pizza!!!!!! Try and get anchovies....

Ajijic Tango has anchovie pizza...not bad, but then they haven't any competition.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I like eastern-Canadian-style pizza. That doesn't mean bacon or anything like that (although bacon is great on anything). It's just a whole lot different from American-style pizza. During the 80s, we suffered a crush of lousy pizzas in the form of 2-for-1 places, who merely divvied up the ingredients and used lesser quality stuff... notably American chains.

This doesn't mean American pizza is bad; it's just different from the way I like it. Just like Canadian subs vs. American subs. ONE PLACE that got it right was Pizza Hut: when they arrived in Canada, they did a huge turnaround to discover what Canadian palletes wanted in a pizza, and they became quite successful. (Unlike, say, Arby's, who came in with their smoked-meat sandwiches and decided they could cut way back on ingredients, and died a miserable death a few years later.)

Any Canadians know what I mean?

So, around here, I haven't had anything better than Foccacia's, followed by Toscana (although it's a completely different style, and not nearly my idea of what a great pizza should be). I have not tried The Score's or Pepe/Auroras yet.

This is a fave topic of mine, so sorry if I've bored anybody. When I make my own, I add tomato sauce, which most restaurants here don't (And the only brand available here is pretty poor...).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I know what you mean however I prefer Boston Pizza over Pizza Hut. Their BBQ Chicken pizza is awesome.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

HelperGuy wrote: ONE PLACE that got it right was Pizza Hut:
Your'e kidding right?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

hockables wrote:K.... You halfta be kidding about Anchovies.... Yuk...
razberry

Isn't it funny that Anchovies are one of those things that are binary.

You either love it or hate it.

Zzzzz

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Kathy says that my recipe for spaghetti is the world's best. WORLD = the inside of our home and nothing more!

Besides, I like escargot or calamari on my pizza.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:01 pm

viajero wrote:
HelperGuy wrote: ONE PLACE that got it right was Pizza Hut:
Your'e kidding right?

I just hope CANADIAN Pizza Huts are very different than
Pizza Huts in the PNW.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Canadian pizza huts are massively different. However, I sure didn't say that's where I go... I only used to take the kids there because of the price and the tables. I have particular places I go, where they make what "I" consider to be the best... one of them is The Colonnade in Ottawa. My brother asked for extra cheese the first time he went, not realizing the waitress would slap him, because it is only inferior pizza places that don't put enough cheese on.

I only went to Boston Pizza once, when it first opened in Ottawa, and I thought the wings were so-so and the prices outrageous. But again, I grew up on a kind of dryer chicken wing from Hurley's Road House, and nothing tasted as good as their's (we're always comparing after our first).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:15 pm

I agree on the wings and the price but their pizza is well worth it......hmmmmm. I believe the owner of Boston Pizza is one of the investors on that show "Dragon's Den"......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm

If you talk about Pizza outside of Mexico, without a doubt, IMO Pizzeria Regina is the best. It's a thin crust Pizza, using PASTENE pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese in the correct proportions. All Pastene products seem superior to others. It originated in the North End in the early 1900's on Thatcher street and is still there. They have chains in the malls in Massachusetts. You will see 20 people standing in line on a 20 degree winter night to get into the one in the North End.

Our second favorite was always Pizza Hut pan pizza. The flavors and bread were always consistent. We have had Boston Pizza north of Toronto on Sunday nights returning from my friends yacht at Victoria Harbor on Lake Huron. It was excellent too.

Never had the desire to have one of those gross Dominos Pizzas.

I forgot to mention that Foccacia in Tlachichilco was very good too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Yeah, he is, and I must look up how he made his fortune... because if he did it with Boston Pizza, I gotta say there's a lotta people with mediocre taste buds out there... Of course, that was back then, and I only went once, so maybe things changed for the better. I think a lot of people went because they thought the name meant that pizza from Boston was perhaps better? did he even start in Boston?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't know if he started it but that company underwent a massive makeover about 10 years ago. New menu and completely renovated restaurants. One of the Canadian success stories the past few years. I never ate there prior to the "new and improved".........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Here's the Boston Pizza story.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Pizza

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:54 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Canadian pizza huts are massively different. However, I sure didn't say that's where I go... I only used to take the kids there because of the price and the tables. I have particular places I go, where they make what "I" consider to be the best..

I've taken my kids to Pizza Hut too,thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by viajero on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm

johninajijic wrote:

Our second favorite was always Pizza Hut pan pizza. The flavors and bread were always consistent.
Kinda like McDonalds,always consistent.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:06 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
John, your definition of good pizza could be a long way from someone else's definition. As an example we really enjoy Pepe's thin crust pizza and The Scores thick crust pizza. I think drizzling olive oil on a pizza is gross. I like lots of ketchup on mine.

Ketchup on pizza ..... OMG ... and I suppose hotdogs rather than sausage. Gross !!

Must have been joking
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, usually I dip it in Ranch Dressing.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Boston Pizza is, of course, a Canadian franshise company and only sparingly found in the USA. There is no such thing as "American" pizza. Every region of the country makes it differently. Of course I'm not including franshises such as Pizza Hut out of that statement. BTW, the Japanese like things like squid and salmon roe on their pizza!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next