INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general

3 posters

Go down

Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general Empty Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I have more and more call for so-called "wireless extenders" from my clients around Lakeside. BUT over the years I've tested and turfed many, because they just don't like working with the never-ending series of odd modem/routers that TelMex uses. TelMex themselves sell a little "repeater", but that thingy needs to line-of-sight with the original modem (or close to it), and that pretty much defeats the purpose.

Might I ask those who have such a thing in use: What brand/model you have; if you puchased it in Mexico; and were you able to set it up yourself?

Thanks, everyone.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general Empty Re: Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general

Post by Viajero-Tiempo Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I use a LinkSys N router (an old and cheapo version) (as a cascaded router).
Use a 20 ft e'net cable connection to provide an alternative line-of-sight/line of signal. And, the old linksys has a (somewhat) better broadcast radio.

So between the HG530 (I think) and the linksys, i can be anywhere in the house or jardin.

Benno used to use old Linksys routers and dd-wrt to create wireless repeaters for sharing or mobility. I'd bet you could do that too HG. I would have but my old linksys is not supported by DD-WRT. Besides, the wired connection between to two routers is much faster

Viajero-Tiempo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general Empty Re: Wireless Extenders, Access Points... equipment in general

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah, need to avoid connecting the two routers physically. Will do that to set it up initially, then remove ethernet cable and go wireless. But I have a couple of brands here that just won't do it, no matter what.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Yeah, need to avoid connecting the two routers physically. Will do that to set it up initially, then remove ethernet cable and go wireless. But I have a couple of brands here that just won't do it, no matter what.

I use this one with a 6 year old 2Wire router. The extender is about 50 feet from the router and does NOT have line of sight:

Netgear

Set it up myself and works perfectly.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down