INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recycling?

+8
seisdedos
sparks
brigitte
johninajijic
Rosa Venus
Mainecoons
Trailrunner
Axixic
12 posters

Go down

Recycling? Empty Recycling?

Post by Axixic Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm

I tried a search but came up empty - is there anywhere locally to take items for recycling? (The Modelo cans are starting to pile up, LOL).

Garbage pickup is easy and convenient but I'd rather recycle if possible.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Recycling? Empty Re: Recycling?

Post by Trailrunner Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Put 'em in a separate bag/box out with the regular garbage, the basueros separate at the curb and they'll recycle them.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 pm

We went through this whole business, complete with pretty flyers, about how they were going to start recycling here. It never happened. However, what they appear to be doing is recycling what they can as they pick up. Hence, if you bag your recyclables separately, it makes it easy for them to do so. That appears to be the best we can do for now.

There's also a number of folks who sort through the stuff at the landfill and do some recycling. Perhaps someone here knows something about that.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Put 'em in a separate bag/box out with the regular garbage, the basueros separate at the curb and they'll recycle them.

Thanks - doesn't get much easier than that!
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:46 pm

As far as aluminum cans go, you don't even have to wait for trash day. If they're in a transluscent bag, just set them out on the street at a corner or whatever. They get picked up almost immediately since they're worth a little money. Our gardener takes ours.

As far as other recycling, the very clearly stated goal of the municipio was to get people to start separating per their guidelines. That's what we're doing.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:As far as aluminum cans go, you don't even have to wait for trash day. If they're in a transluscent bag, just set them out on the street at a corner or whatever. They get picked up almost immediately since they're worth a little money. Our gardener takes ours.

As far as other recycling, the very clearly stated goal of the municipio was to get people to start separating per their guidelines. That's what we're doing.

Give your aluminum cans to your maid or gardener. Someone else at the dump cashes them in if you throw them out in the trash.

Recycling here is a joke!!!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 pm

I like TR's suggestion - separate them out and put them with the trash. If someone has the gumption to collect them and make some money from it - good on them.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 pm

pople who live in the garbage dump separate many thing and resale what they can. I you separate the gabage it maks it easier for them but they will go through it and recycle no matter what.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm

>>>> (The Modelo cans are starting to pile up, LOL).

Modelo ..... OMG. Mejor Estrella en caguamas

I would hang them in a bag on the fence ... but now I know neighbors that want them.

We also have plastic recycling bins in our community and kids are always looking for metal
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 pm

brigitte wrote:pople who live in the garbage dump separate many thing and resale what they can. I you separate the gabage it maks it easier for them but they will go through it and recycle no matter what.

Yes the pependaores separate recyclable matter at the dump. A tough existence no doubt but something that has been going on for many years. Recycling in this manner has been going on for a long time unbeknownst to many foreigners like johnny. But then johnny hasn't got a clue about damn near anything that happens in this country. In fact it is a very, very lucrative business for the people who control the basureros.

Years ago, if you permit me to reminisce a la hound dawg, there was a millionaire who lived in a mansion in a dump in Mexico City who had made his fortune through control of recyclable goods in the municipal dumps. El rey de la basura Rafael Gutiérrez Moreno even became a federal diputado for the PRI during Lopez de Portillo's presidency at the height of that party's corruption. This guy controlled thousands of pependores and put them at the PRI's disposal whenever they needed people for their rallies. Had accounts in foreign banks (pesos were worthless back in those days due to constant devaluations), houses at the fancier beach resorts such as Acapulco, drove luxury cars, had women at his disposal, etc. Supposedly had sired more than 100 children. He finally was murdered by one of his wives who could no longer take his physical abuse. The rey was truly infamous and his killing made national news.

seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I did not know that story but I bet it could be the subject of a movie.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the "El rey de la basura" story, seisdedos. Jesus.

Anybody who thinks "recycling is a joke" in this country should see it in action in Mexico City. I've only witnessed it in the "nicer" neighborhoods, but.....wow.

The last thing it is, is a joke.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 pm

If a can makes it to the dump on my street it's only cause the trash pickers didn't get to it first. I seperate so they won't go through my all my trash.

In fact, you can just set anything outside that has any value at all, like clothing, shoes, that tie from the 70's and it will be gone in less than an hour...at least on my street. You can also go to the dump and buy stuff from the pepenadores. You would be amazed....nothing that goes to the dump has ever gone to waste. Most efficient recycling system ever. That recycling program , fancy flyers and all was a huge joke.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 pm

I believe that anything we dispose of that has any value our housekeeper takes home. These people are incredibly resourceful and this I truly admire.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Okay, I gotta ask now - where is the dump?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Just about any vacant lot around here.......it would seem.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Axixic wrote:Okay, I gotta ask now - where is the dump?

I remember a while back we had one but I believe it’s long gone. Maybe if you told us what you need to get rid of, perhaps we could tell you how to do it. As long as we’ve been here the only thing we actually needed to take care of was used batteries and every so often there will be a collection date for those.

For very large, totally unusable items ask the garbage truck guys if they know of someone who could take care of these items for you and ALWAYS ask how much they will charge first.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

If they are modelo cans give them to your maid/gardener they will take them
as every mexican house collects aluminum.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry, i am fine with getting rid of stuff - thanks to trailrunner's suggestion. I was curious about seeing what was sold from the stuff sent to the dump that others mentioned in this thread.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down