INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on getting auto import permit online...

2 posters

Go down

Question on getting auto import permit online... Empty Question on getting auto import permit online...

Post by CharlieG Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 pm

I’m currently in Mexico and have an FM3 visa. I recently bought a car in Arizona and am planning to fly up there and drive the car back. It will be titled in my name and I had planned to solicit the import permit online to avoid stopping for it on my way south. However…

When I started the solicitation process online I found that the form requires that one obtain an immigration pre-authorization from INM( also obtainable online) and then enter the pre-authorization data on the appropriate line on the auto permit solicitation form. OK, but…

The INM online form assumes that the applicant for the pre-authorization is outside Mexico and has no existing Mexican immigration status such as an FM3. All one can get is pre-authorization to get a tourist card and the car permit will be issued for the pre-authorized period of the tourist card, presumably max of six months. It would seem that the pre-authorization should not be necessary on the auto permit form for an FM3 holder but one can not complete the form without it. Sort of a Catch 22.

My question is….Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution that would result in getting the import permit online?

Also, I have been hearing rumors that the deposit on an imported car will not be required after Nov 1st. I’m wondering if anyone has any firm information one way or another on that subject.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks…..

CharlieG

Back to top Go down

Question on getting auto import permit online... Empty Re: Question on getting auto import permit online...

Post by Jim W Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Charlie, My situation was a little different, albiet one year ago. I purchased a new vehicle from Portland, Oregon dealer, as an Oregon resident, they did dealer trade, and I paid ZERO sales tax. I ordered permit on line, sent it to the Oregon dealer, and they sent permit, plates, etc. to Arizona dealer. I emailed copies of reauired documents to Mexico City....no issue.

Side note regarding airfare. One way to Phoenix is spendy. I checked all airlines thru Phoenix, and ended up booking my ticket to Portland on USAIR, and saved $100.00. Just picked up my luggage, went thru customs, in Phoenix...

Spencer is the one to ask about vehicle deposit.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down