INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area?

+3
Rosa Venus
viajero
Sherman
7 posters

Go down

Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Empty Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area?

Post by Sherman Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Milogros (not sure of the spelling), anyone know where to buy them in our local area?

Thanks,
Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Empty Re: Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area?

Post by viajero Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 am

Are you talking about milagros,the little religious charms,I've seen them in stores that sell religious articles around the cathedral in Centro Historico.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Empty Re: Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area?

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 am

My friend uses them in art projects. I know she buys them in bulk in Tonalá, but don't know where. If you speak Spanish, a few questions here or there would probably lead you to her source, or maybe a different one. But yeah, in general, a good place to start are the stores that radiate out from important churches.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am

Yes, I was asking about the religious charms. Thanks for the leads on the milagros.... I'm off to Guad today and will see what I can find.

thanks much,

Filoli!

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am

Milagros, or miracles, can be bought at the little gift shop on the grounds at the Joco Iglesia, probably in Chapala next to the church as well.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Since we have a neighbor here in Albuquerque who collects Milagros, we are always on the lookout for new ones to take home as a present. We have had great luck finding them in any number of shops in Tlaquepaque. Most that come to mind are located on Independencia but I don't have photos since all of these shops have a "no foto policy". In Tonala, MEXICANIA, the shop to the right of the church on the main square has quite an assortment:
[img]Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Dscn2711[/img]
[img]Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Dscn2712[/img]
[img]Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Dscn4416[/img]
[img]Where to buy Milogros in the Chapala or Guadalajara area? Dscn4417[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by plumlake Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:41 pm

I searched all over Guadalahara for Milagros as I also collect them and use them in art projects. Really did not find them anywhere near the Cathedral as one posted. You can actually buy them on line for less..a kilo or so of them for around 10 dollars US. Maybe Tonala sells them in bulk...which is the best way to buy them.

plumlake

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 pm

We have definitely seen the individual small metal Milagros being sold in bulk in both Tonala and Tlaquepaque. In Tlaquepaque, I could walk right to the shops selling them but I am one of those people who remembers by visual landmarks and very rarely remember the names of stores or their addresses. In Tonala, I have seen them scattered all over town and on both sides of the main drag (Ave. Tonaltecas). While they tend to be a bit larger in size, I have spotted pewter ones in a number of the shops that specialize in pewter.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm

thanks all for the input..... Today, I bought several in a couple of different shops in Guadalajara near the Cathedral. I will keep in mind, however, the little gift shop in Jocotepec. I did not even think of looking there.

filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I've bought my Milagros at the Tonala store mentioned above. I've also ordered in bulk. I noticed that the ones I've gotten in bulk are not as good of quality as the ones you buy individually.

Have fun!
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:16 pm

What are you paying for the Milagros?
I went to 2 stores near the Cathedral.....at one I paid $5 and the other I paid $3.5 per milagros. I could not see any difference in the quality.
Thanks....

Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 pm

It's been a few years since I bought them, but the ones I got in bulk were over 100 count. Im still using them. :) they work great when you use them to cover the surface of crosses, boxes etc. The prices you quoted sound about right. Buying them one by one are good for using in jewelry.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm

thanks for the input on prices. I'm using them in jewelry and I like using them.

Does anyone know if these are just used in Mexico or if they are used elsewhere in Latin America, or in the US or Canada in the Catholic or Latin/Catholic population?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:33 pm

I understand that they are used in Europe. We saw hundreds or thousands of them in the religious shops that Puebla is known for when we were there in August. They had bags of assorted milagros or bins where you could pick out individual ones.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:59 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I understand that they are used in Europe. We saw hundreds or thousands of them in the religious shops that Puebla is known for when we were there in August. They had bags of assorted milagros or bins where you could pick out individual ones.

Thanks for the lead. I have not yet been to Puebla...but would like to visit. I hope that I will remember that it's a fun place to shop for Milagros!

mariachi

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down