INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There but for the Grace of God go you and I.........

+5
viajero
David
gringal
E-raq
joec
9 posters

Go down

There but for the Grace of God go you and I......... Empty There but for the Grace of God go you and I.........

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 am

There but for the Grace of God go you and I, not to have lived in NY, NJ and along the Eastern seabord that was hit by Hurricane Sandy that they called the Perfect storm. I don't believe that ANY storm in history caused this much damage and heartache, not even Katrina. I could be wrong, so please correct me.

The people have not received food, water and electricity in a week. Temperatures have dropped. They have lost EVERYTHING. Not many seem to be helping out.

Please donate to the RED CROSS, I just did. It is one of the most worthwhile organizations in the US. I know this from firsthand experience. Many of you wont know about the "Blizzard of 1978" that hit the Northeast coast shutting down everything. Without going into too much detaol, we spent the night on Rte 128, the outer belt roadway serving industry in Massachusetts. I didn't get home for 3 days and the Red Cross set up cots in a nearby warehouse and flew in my Epilepsy meds.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

There but for the Grace of God go you and I......... Empty Re: There but for the Grace of God go you and I.........

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Mmmhmmm, epilepsy meds????? Oh my. Could it be???

Other than the prior observation, I agree, it was a horrific storm, very possibly the worst ever to hit the U.S. in terms of destructiveness.

We prefer Medecins sans Frontiers which is international, and a great organization. When the Red Cross couldn't organize a p*** up in a brewery after Haiti, they got in and started work in tents. A mobile hospital arrived within days.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

There but for the Grace of God go you and I......... Empty Re: There but for the Grace of God go you and I.........

Post by gringal Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Massachusetts. I didn't get home for 3 days and the Red Cross set up cots in a nearby warehouse and flew in my Epilepsy meds.

Yup. 99% pure speculation. The funny thing is that he always gives himself away. It's born again John. Maybe this one will be a more civil guy. If so, welcome back from exile. Now behave yo'self Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Certainly Sandy caused a lot of death, damage, and heartache but it's nowhere near the biggest storm or the most damage. It was downgraded to Tropical Storm before it hit the NE. Unfortunately the infrastructure on the NE seaboard is not built to withstand what Sandy delivered.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:39 pm

A born again John,LOL.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Now, about those poor people stuck in the miseries of the East Coast, and all the "woulda, coulda, shoulda's".

I was born and raised in really large cities with millions of residents. People there are no way prepared for the kind of problems a major natural disaster brings. Living in the country for a long time teaches you (and your neighbors usually do, too) to deal with things like no water from the well; no power for long periods of time; no lots of things. Some of those people have never left the big city from the time they were born......until now, so don't criticize their ignorance: they can't help it if they never took the "survival course".........help if you can.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:47 pm

David wrote:Certainly Sandy caused a lot of death, damage, and heartache but it's nowhere near the biggest storm or the most damage. It was downgraded to Tropical Storm before it hit the NE. Unfortunately the infrastructure on the NE seaboard is not built to withstand what Sandy delivered.

Possibly so David, I guess we won't really know the final tally for cleanup and repairs for some considerable time. Let's just agree that it was indeed devastating to have hit such a highly populated area.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:04 pm

David wrote:Certainly Sandy caused a lot of death, damage, and heartache but it's nowhere near the biggest storm or the most damage. It was downgraded to Tropical Storm before it hit the NE. Unfortunately the infrastructure on the NE seaboard is not built to withstand what Sandy delivered.

Nowhere, near the biggest storm,. so please tell us which stirm was bigger?

Anyways, since all of you can afford it from the money you save living here, make a donation, even if small to the charoty of your choice.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Do your own research John. You're the one that made the claim, now support it. Hint: Katrina was more that 3 times worse.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 pm

David wrote:Do your own research John. You're the one that made the claim, now support it. Hint: Katrina was more that 3 times worse.

Katrina hit mostly a couple of states, not 8 or 10 like Sandy. Don't forget Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Lawd ha mercy. A stirm and a charoty.

More like sturm and drang if you ask me.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:23 pm

joec wrote:
David wrote:Do your own research John. You're the one that made the claim, now support it. Hint: Katrina was more that 3 times worse.

Katrina hit mostly a couple of states, not 8 or 10 like Sandy. Don't forget Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

The metric is how much damage resulted, stated in $$. BTW, you could fit all of New England in Louisiana and Mississippi.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Katrina had probably a lot more damage, but no one knows that until the final tally comes in from the Gov't. And Katrina had more deaths. And it didn't cover the area that Sandy did, all the way from the Carribean to NH, then moving inland to the Great Lakes. I'm not sure if 16% of the population were without electricity in Katrina.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 pm

David wrote:
joec wrote:

The metric is how much damage resulted, stated in $$. BTW, you could fit all of New England in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Who cares about NE, they sustained the least damage. How about NY, NJ, MD, NC, SC, you can't fit that into Louisiana and Mississippi. And compare RE costs in those two states to any of the others that Sandy hit. Values are probably half.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Why is biggest always best? I have to wonder if John expressed the same concerns after Katrina? My guess is probably not since the demographics were so different.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Yup, just a bunch of po folks down there in LA and Miss. BTW, last time I checked Conn was part of NE. Lots of damage there.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:08 pm

E-raq wrote:Lawd ha mercy. A stirm and a charoty.

More like sturm and drang if you ask me.

Changing names does not necessarily improve your spelling abilities.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:35 pm

David wrote:Yup, just a bunch of po folks down there in LA and Miss. BTW, last time I checked Conn was part of NE. Lots of damage there.

You are correct. I have good friends who come down here 6 months a year from CT. Nowhere near the damage in CT compared to either NY or NJ.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 am

Who cares who had the biggest storm? Do you honestly think those involved in any catastrophe gives a thought about HOW BIG their catastrophe was compared to others, especially when they have lost loved ones and everything they own?

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 am

Sandy may or may not have been our worst storm....it's just the one we need to deal with at the moment.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twisted and Bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down