INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside?

+10
Tony_In_Mexico
gringal
E-raq
The Postman
RoofBob
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
Mainecoons
hockables
Charliej
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside? Empty Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside?

Post by Charliej Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Are there enough science fiction fans at the lakeside to form a science fiction book club? If you are interested, please send me a personal message. If enough people are interested, we can try to set up a club and see how it works out.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside? Empty Re: Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside?

Post by hockables Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Charliej wrote:Are there enough science fiction fans at the lakeside to form a science fiction book club? If you are interested, please send me a personal message. If enough people are interested, we can try to set up a club and see how it works out.

Gotta be... if they are reading these boards Shocked
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside? Empty Re: Are there any science fiction fans at the lakeside?

Post by Mainecoons Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 am

That's just fiction, no science to it. lol!

I still have a subscription to analog. Download SF books to my Kindle. They do have a fair amount of the old stuff at the LCS library.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:21 am

Me too... Reading Mainecoons Analogs right now!
I will volunteer my house for a meeting if you want.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 am

On the same sort of topic, are there any astronomy clubs around the lake? With the beautiful, clear night skies, I am considering a telescope but would need to know where to point it.........jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:57 am

deleted

Last edited by RoofBob on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 am

I have a few sci-fantasy books I brought down. Terry Goodkind, Katherine Kerr, Jacqueline Carey, Jennifer Robinson, etc. They author a lot of series stories so I brought complete series when possible. I also brought the two books missing at LCS of Robert Jordan,s Wheel of Time Series. I have to get them to LCS. Hate reading a series with a center book missing. These books are older and might be on a kindle or other brand of reader. I don't know as I still prefer holding paper and have no electronic readers yet.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:39 am

Nope, life is a whole lot stranger than fiction, at least mine is.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

Well, they have a Cosmology Club already.......so why not Sci Fi? Though I agree with E-Raq: it's pretty strange now.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 am

The Postman wrote:I have a few sci-fantasy books I brought down. Terry Goodkind, Katherine Kerr, Jacqueline Carey, Jennifer Robinson, etc. They author a lot of series stories so I brought complete series when possible. I also brought the two books missing at LCS of Robert Jordan,s Wheel of Time Series. I have to get them to LCS. Hate reading a series with a center book missing. These books are older and might be on a kindle or other brand of reader. I don't know as I still prefer holding paper and have no electronic readers yet.

I think you mean Jennifer Roberson. The Cheysuli series, yes? Good stuff. I've tried reading Terry Goodkind, but he just bores me. Please don't get me started on Robert Jordan. Tons of (admittedly fairly decent) writing, but a story that goes nowhere. After the third novel I was asking myself if anything was ever going to happen. Never found out.

Oh, and go for the Kindle. I was resistant at first myself. I love to hold a book in my hand. I also like to keep the books I've read. Had boxes and boxes that wouldn't fit on my shelves. Hated libraries because they didn't like it when you kept the books. Anyway, moved down here and couldn't afford to bring my books, so left them all behind. Buying English language books down here proved way too expensive. So I bit the bullet and bought a Kindle. I love it. Take it with me everywhere. One of the best parts? You can change the size of the text, so you're always comfortable reading something. Give it a try. However, a bit of advice. If you have the option, buy off Amazon US and have it sent to someone in the states (or Canada or wherever you're from) and have them ship it. Buying it from Amazon.mx is much more expensive and they don't give you the option of buying refurbished, which is even less expensive.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 pm

CanuckBob wrote:On the same sort of topic, are there any astronomy clubs around the lake? With the beautiful, clear night skies, I am considering a telescope but would need to know where to point it.........jaja.

UP!!!!

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Me too... Reading Mainecoons Analogs right now!

Z

Maybe I should start giving them to you direct. I was taking them to LCS but they simply let people walk off with them. They are the equivalent of a paperback and had they put them into the system, they'd have a nice collection by now. Instead, most are gone for good. I'd be happy to start giving them to some place that would see that they aren't stolen.

I've got three issues right now and a buddy has one more.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by SenorDorky Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Charliej wrote:Are there enough science fiction fans at the lakeside to form a science fiction book club? If you are interested, please send me a personal message. If enough people are interested, we can try to set up a club and see how it works out.

I would be interested

SenorDorky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:07 am

I too would be interested

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:59 am

Mainecoons wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Me too... Reading Mainecoons Analogs right now!

Z

Maybe I should start giving them to you direct. I was taking them to LCS but they simply let people walk off with them. They are the equivalent of a paperback and had they put them into the system, they'd have a nice collection by now. Instead, most are gone for good. I'd be happy to start giving them to some place that would see that they aren't stolen.

I've got three issues right now and a buddy has one more.

Give them to me and I will hand them out to other sci fi fans.
Someone just brought back six of them so I grabbed them
for a good start. I will keep them locked up in the magazine
room and folks can ask for them from 10 to 12 when I am
around. Would that work? I hate to have these sit in someones
houses as these are rare reads down here.

So how about a sci fi meeting in Dec. I will volunteer my place by
the plaza in Ajijic. I can hold about 100 people LOL which we won't
have. I can show some sci fi if folks like. I have quite a bit on DVD.
Or we can just use it as an excuse for a party LOL.

So does Sci fi include Fantasy? Is all the Vampire stuff included??
I am a strict sci fi guy. Do others feel the same?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:16 am

I happen to have sci fantasy books down here but I also read sci fi. I enjoy both. The vampire stuff is not for me. I have read a few and not a fan. A couple of books had vampires in them but not the main theme of the story; were well written and good. The rest were blood,gore and sex with weak plots. My two cents says start with sci fi and add the rest later if requested.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 am

The Postman wrote:I happen to have sci fantasy books down here but I also read sci fi. I enjoy both. The vampire stuff is not for me. I have read a few and not a fan. A couple of books had vampires in them but not the main theme of the story; were well written and good. The rest were blood,gore and sex with weak plots. My two cents says start with sci fi and add the rest later if requested.

So do we want to be Sci/fi or Fantasy or both.
I agree with the Postman but than I am not
very flexible on the issue and I know it.

z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am

I'm not a 'get together and share' sorta guy (although I probably should be) so I don't know why I'm responding, but I certainly don't think sci-fi and fantasy are the same thing. However, I'm on the other side of that fence. Don't much care for sci-fi, but love fantasy, including urban fantasy and vampires and all that stuff. One of my favorite series is about a witch, a vampire, and a pixie who live together in an old church in Cincinnati.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 am

Tony,
A lot of us are not get together and share type of guys. Back in the states, I was a loner, here I am trying to get to know people who share the same interests. I have read science fiction for over fifty years. I tend toward classic sci fi. There are lots of new authors. Getting together and discussing who you like and why, can lead to new books you may like. Also, you might make new friends.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Charlie, you make a good point. If such a club gets together and I can arrange some sort of transportation, I'll be happy to participate.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 pm

I was told the difference between sci fi and sci fantasy is the sci fi has to be based on actual science. I can't remember the percentage but somewhere over half. Sci-fantasy has no restrictions on scientific facts. I have no actual proof for the statement I made except memoery so it could be sci fiction or my fantasy.

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:45 pm

To me the difference has always been about technology, but not necessarily real world tech. If it takes place in space or an alien world where people use computers and fly vehicles around and such, it's sci-fi. If they use magic and/or swords, then it's probably fantasy.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like Charlie has enough interest and I have volunteered my place
in Ajijic but we need to wait for the Festival to be over which is the
end of month. Send Charlie a PM with your email address and we will
send you date time and location. I would expect early december.

Z

So anyone want to see Red Dwarf Episode one for the meeting?

First Episode of Firefly?

What does a Sci/Fi club do?

Is it like a leader and lecture or do we all treat it like a party
and mill around and talk about our favorite Geekness stuff LOL ?

I can talk about Asimov if one likes. He came and judged in our
Physics club in College and I have met him at many sci/fi shows.
Who knows this might be boring I don't know.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:30 am

There are a number of book clubs in town. In the one I belong to, the reading list is agreed on by the members submitting several selections and then voting on the list for the next months. Meets once a month at someone's house; sometimes food served, followed by a discussion of the book selection for the month. One person acts as discussion leader of the month by having a page of questions or quotes to start the ball rolling. Generally works somewhat like that.
Sounds like you need to sort out whether "fantasy" and "sci-fi" can live in the same room. Vampire stuff just sucks, IMHO. Twisted Evil

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:34 pm

gringal wrote:Vampire stuff just sucks, IMHO. Twisted Evil

Could be you're just reading the wrong vampire stuff.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next