INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapala Booze Ban?

+3
hound dog
Ms.Thang
CheenaGringo
7 posters

Go down

Chapala Booze Ban? Empty Chapala Booze Ban?

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm

One has to wonder just what brought this on?

"Vendors operating commercial stands at the periphery of Chapala’s waterfront Malecon will be prohibited from selling hard liquor as of next year, according to city hall business license chief Luis Ernesto Lopez Amavizca.

The ban on booze takes effect on January 7, 2013, giving around 40 merchants a last chance to cash in during the Christmas holiday season. After that, they will have to scale back to selling non-alcoholic drinks and nothing stronger than beer and Micheladas, the popular brewski cocktails akin to Bloody Marys."

Sorry that I don't have the link to the full story:
http://theguadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/lake-chapala-mainmenu-84/32175-chapala-preps-for-booze-ban.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Chapala Booze Ban? Empty Re: Chapala Booze Ban?

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Those are unlicensed vendors and they have been the subject of controversy for as long as I can remember. The legitimate , licensed businesses would prefer that people buy their booze from them and the residents of the town would prefer they were not there at all because they would rather the park didn't have a cantina vibe and they contribute nothing , absolutely nothing to the town. But there they are and officials look the other way no matter how much people raise hell about it. So not selling "alcohol" at the malecon is the solution ...go figure.

The story can be read in the online version of La Pagina .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Some merchants apparently fell behind on making their recurring mordida contributions to city hall. Trust me, nothing will have changed after January 7th except, perhaps, the pockets into which the filthy lucre is directed.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:06 am

hound dog wrote:Some merchants apparently fell behind on making their recurring mordida contributions to city hall. Trust me, nothing will have changed after January 7th except, perhaps, the pockets into which the filthy lucre is directed.

I agree with Dawg.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't get a "cantina" feeling there, and I personally in all my time here have not seen any altercations as a direct result of boozing there. In fact, people don't "booze"; they buy a drink or two and carry on. One of the unique things about Mexico is it's lack of BS mothering rules. Slowly being squashed by those who are "better" than the average Jose.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 pm

HelperGuy wrote:I don't get a "cantina" feeling there, and I personally in all my time here have not seen any altercations as a direct result of boozing there. In fact, people don't "booze"; they buy a drink or two and carry on. One of the unique things about Mexico is it's lack of BS mothering rules. Slowly being squashed by those who (think they) are "better" than the average Jose.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 pm

HelperGuy wrote: One of the unique things about Mexico is it's lack of BS mothering rules.
Amen.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:55 pm

My thought when walking around amongst the various vendors was: "I wonder how much of the booze being used in the drinks being offered was adulterated?"

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm

The changes are being brought on by the new mayor. The ambulatory vendors are a frequent topic in local news and at the town meetings, the oposers are numerous.
The malecon is often referred to as the largest cantina in Jalisco, There are 36 vendors that sell alcohol at the malecon, many of them used to sell artesanias but abandoned that because there is more profit in alcohol. The concessions have been given out by the last administration and ones before it (for obvious reasons). People complain that as a result Chapalas image as a tourist destination has been tarnished. The vendors are taking up space that is intended for families and tourists to enjoy, they have no licence to sell alcohol, they sell to minors and they are taking over the whole park and their very presence is a violation of state laws.
The new president appears to be listening to public concerns that have been repeatedly voiced over the years and most see that as a good sign. It's not that some think they are better than another person, it could be that they are not charmed by corruption and lawless behaviour and they just want better for their town.

The most recent article is here and the Vox Populi colum is a reference to the same issue. page 7, I think.

http://issuu.com/chapalavirtual/docs/pagina_no._47

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down