INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info. needed buying new T.V

+17
Carry Bean
mexilady
ComputerGuy
joec
MexicoPete
Mad_Max
CheenaGringo
sparks
Jim W
georgetoo
Hensley
frkshnwa
E-raq
CanuckBob
ferret
gringal
RoofBob
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Info. needed buying new T.V Empty Info. needed buying new T.V

Post by RoofBob Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Being technologically inept but not proud to ask for advise (except when driving) I need help in buying a new T.V.. We're looking for one of those wall mounted flat screen jobbies that we can have wired to our lap tops to play movies. I'm guessing a 40-50" should do the trick.

So the question would be; what model and which store will be able to deliver and do the installation including the wall mounting and computer hook ups?

Thanks in advance.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Info. needed buying new T.V Empty Re: Info. needed buying new T.V

Post by gringal Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Just off my head top: Costco and Samsung. Heard good things about Samsung.
Sony ain't what it used to be. Costco stands behind their product, in case all is not well.
Wall mounting? A carpenter?
Computer hookups: Helper Guy. This hookup can get complicated.

Happy New Year
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Helperguy advised us to buy a Samsung and we did...from Walmart when it was on sale and we got the last 50" at the time. We also bought the bracket at the same time and had it installed by the same guy who did our Shaw Direct set-up.
Helperguy is the one to contact because he stays on top of what's the best for YOUR needs.
If your computer has an HDMI port and the TV has an HDMI port (or three) then it's an easy one cable connection between the two with an HDMI to HDMI cable. That's us...your needs may vary.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Yep, get a Samsung with a built in media player (all the new models have it) so you can plug a hard drive or flash drive directly into it to watch movies.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Aww geez we should have got a samsung, however we bought a Sony, so far it's working fine, has all the ports and is great with that apple t.v. the kids gave us. The price was a deciding factor. It was only about 4500, end of line.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Samsung (Mexico) for sure. They are assembled here in Mexico and the new smart TV's from Samsung are USB media device ready and can connect to other media service via the internet. We actually found because they are assembled in Mexico we paid about $200 less for a comparable unit than it was in the U.S. Costco may be the way to go but not sure what the Mexico Costco rules are for returns as compared to Costco U.S. I wouldn't hesitate to look at Walmart and Bestbuy as well. I would definitely not buy lakeside until you looked in Guadalajara. We found there were many more models available in the City. If you are playing HD movies via USB, internet, or HD Box I would definably go 1080p LED backlite. That choice depends of course on what you programming and media source is. Good luck.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm

We've been buying and sometimes returning items to Costco for 9 years.
Never a problem.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:49 pm

We bought an LG 42" 3D at Walmart on Black Friday so I have downloaded 3D movies to a stick and then plug it right into the TV and we are now watching a 3D movie, I figured this out and hooked it up all by myself. Hubby is so technically challenged.
Price was $$8600p.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Muchas gracias mis amigos, looks like a Samsung for the fat boy. Maybe some movies, popcorn and a jammie party after it gets set up?
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by georgetoo Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Hensley wrote:We bought an LG 42" 3D at Walmart on Black Friday so I have downloaded 3D movies to a stick and then plug it right into the TV and we are now watching a 3D movie, I figured this out and hooked it up all by myself. Hubby is so technically challenged.
Price was $$8600p.

I've had a 46" LG 3D (so called smart TV) for some time now. Plus numerous unused glasses.

Who do you download 3D from? thanks......george

georgetoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:02 pm

RoofBob wrote:Muchas gracias mis amigos, looks like a Samsung for the fat boy. Maybe some movies, popcorn and a jammie party after it gets set up?

RB, are we all invited? From what I hear......jammie's are in order all day? drunk
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Do the movies have to be in a certain format to be recognized by the builtin media player. I have a 28" Samsung with all the ports but a USB flash drive comes up empty. Maybe mine is older?
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Sparks:

Your TV may be prior technology? We have one Vizio which requires that we run a jump drive through a computer to view a movie while the other newer one will handle it directly.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:25 pm

sparks wrote:Do the movies have to be in a certain format to be recognized by the builtin media player. I have a 28" Samsung with all the ports but a USB flash drive comes up empty. Maybe mine is older?

If it is older than 2 years it probably only reads music and jpeg files. The newer ones with the media players read almost any format I have thrown at it. (WMP, AVI, MP4, Etc.)
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Not following "a jump drive thru a computer". Is that HDMI. Don't have that port on the computer. I do have a USB external but thats gonna be the same as a flash drive

Computer screen is almost as big as the TV so probably won't bother
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Sparks:

If you don't have a HDMI port on your computer, you may have an optical port or at the very least other means of connecting?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 pm

sparks wrote:Do the movies have to be in a certain format to be recognized by the builtin media player. I have a 28" Samsung with all the ports but a USB flash drive comes up empty. Maybe mine is older?
search on your model number + built in media player + movies to find the file types that your media player supports. I just stick to avi for my dvd player - as I don't want to be bothered with file conversion programs as I only download movies occasionally - yesterday was probably the first time in 2 months
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 pm

If I wanted 3DTV, I know that it's available on both Shaw Direct and DirecTV. Although I don't have a 3DTV, when I turn to say channels 103 through about 108 on DirecTV, I receive a message saying I can't view the program in 3D because I am either not getting my signal via an HDMI cable or that my receiver can not pick up 3DTV or that my TV is not 3DTV compatible.

I know it's out there and viewable lakeside. I just haven't bothered to try to get it yet.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 am

I'm going to the Seattle Costco Wednesday. Looking on line, it looks like the Smart 3DTVs are really coming down in price up north.

No, I'm not going to get one for up here. But I will be needing a larger LED Smart TV, for Ajijic. Maybe if the prices drop on the 3DTV options and if there is sufficient programming available, I might consider it some time, in the near future (But only if they aren't that much more expensive than a normal smart TV)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 am

Pete, if you are selling your old flat screen, let me know.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:27 am

georgetoo wrote:
Hensley wrote:We bought an LG 42" 3D at Walmart on Black Friday so I have downloaded 3D movies to a stick and then plug it right into the TV and we are now watching a 3D movie, I figured this out and hooked it up all by myself. Hubby is so technically challenged.
Price was $$8600p.

I've had a 46" LG 3D (so called smart TV) for some time now. Plus numerous unused glasses.

Who do you download 3D from? thanks......george

I use Pirate Bay and Bit Torrent.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 am

CanuckBob wrote:Pete, if you are selling your old flat screen, let me know.

I have a friend that will be selling a 42" in a couple of weeks it is 5 years old.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:07 am

Hensley wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Pete, if you are selling your old flat screen, let me know.

I have a friend that will be selling a 42" in a couple of weeks it is 5 years old.

What make is it and cost?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:13 am

The most popular downloaded-movie format these days is mkv, followed by avi (which used to be the most popular). Mkv allows for higher quality, among other things.

Many new BluRay (BD) players have the capability of playing most formats via a USB flash/jump drive/memory stick. If you don't have a TV with a USB slot, BD players are really quite inexpensive now, even here. My new Panasonic DVD plays everything. I replaced my Samsung (!) BD player because it cannot handle mkv.

My Samsung TV, purchased Nov 2011, has a USB port but it plays only music and photos. MY BD player also is a "Smart" unit, which means I don't need a "Smart" TV to get Internet. Not that I find anything enjoyable AT ALL about trying to watch YouTube on my TV, although many people will be using that feature for NetFlix and other subscription services.

I've rarely seen a better price for TVs at CostCo than at WalMart, but of course they do have sales.

One caveat about watching movies/TV from a USB drive: when you download a show and burn it to DVD, the conversion tool adds 5-minute chapter marks to the DVD, so you can skip ahead or back, and quickly get back to the last scene you watched (if you're like me and fall asleep in the middle). Shows on USB do not have this capability, which makes it a little difficult to get back to where you were... you end up fast-forwarding all the way. I have to write down the time that displays in the show when I stop.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am

I'll put in my 10 pesos worth on flat screen TV'S. First I would probably buy an LED over and LCD because it's newer technology. You should look at how much wattage the TV draws too, although it is small compared to the old sets.

For manufacturers, I prefer SONY, as I have always had good success with them. If I were buying a TV, like I will when we move to the US, I would consider SONY and Samsung. Although not from my experience an LG is good too. My friend from Canada has two 42" LG's for 7 years with no problems.

If buying a SONY TV the ONLY place to buy it is from SONY on Ave Guadalupe in Guadalajara. They are cheaper than Costco and have the newest models (sometimes Costco doesn't) and will come out and set it up for you for free. How I know that Sony in GDL is cheaper is that I've sent 4 or 5 friends there to buy and they compared prices with Costco. I would not buy from Walmart as they won't stand in back of it and who knows what's going to happen to Best Buy. The company may go out of business soon. If you don't want SONY, then go to Costco for another brand.

For SONY in Guadalajara, tell Oscar that John from Los Arroyos sent you. They also have the best repair shop around. The TV repair people at Lakeside cannot compare to them.
SONY SERVICE SHOP - Best SONY Dealer
FACTORY AUTHORIZED SALES & SERVICE - Best to repair ANY TV
Talk to: OSCAR (Sales - Speaks English)
Ave. Guadalupe # 850 - Col. Chapalita - Guadalajara
It's on the right side about 5 blocks up after you turn off Lazaro Cadenas
Telephones/FAX: 01 333 121 6483 OR 01 333 647 3514

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down