INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older

+4
ferret
gringomojado
David
CheenaGringo
8 posters

Go down

Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older Empty Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm

"Speaking two languages can actually help offset some effects of aging on the brain, a new study has found.

Researchers tested how long it took participants to switch from one cognitive task to another, something that’s known to take longer for older adults, said lead researcher, Brian Gold, a neuroscientist at the University of Kentucky. As he spoke to ABCNews.com from his cell phone, he said he was also in a grocery store choosing between gala and granny smith apples — a perfect example of switching between cognitive tasks in everyday life.

“It has big implications these days because our population is aging more and more,” Gold said. “Seniors are living longer, and that’s a good thing, but it’s only a good thing to the extent that their brains are healthy.”........

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/01/09/bilinguals-have-faster-more-adaptive-brains-when-they-get-older-study-finds/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older Empty Re: Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older

Post by David Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Which explains why so many brains here are atrophied!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older Empty Re: Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older

Post by gringomojado Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm

¿What about trilinguals?
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Reminds me of a joke in Mexico:

What is a person called who speaks 2 languages? Answer: Bilingual
How about a person who speaks 3 tongues? Answer: trilingual.
And a person who speaks only one language? One wants to answer " monolingual". but the teller says " NO, Gringo"

gm
It sounds better in Spanish and alludes to out ethnocentrism which is maybe why we resist learning languages.

Hey do English speaking Canadians learn French? I know many French speaking Canadians from Quebec who never would learn English.
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Now if you had told me that learning another language made me move faster, I could get really excited.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm

A small dissent to the extrapolation.......
I tend to go with the easiest way to talk or write with my family, which for the most part are bilingual.
That's because I'm old and lazy.......and possibly atrophied. Very Happy
Sometimes forget how to say something in one language or the other. Depends on which language transmission gear the brain is in...it's like trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

One time, while driving, my wife was "giving directions" in Spanish, and the daughter was doing the same in English, this in heavy "Mexican" traffic, talk about shifting gears, I went from 1st to 5th, almost to reverse, which my brain went into!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

It was stated on a study made in GB by the BBC that those who spoke at least 2 languages experienced the onset of dementia/Alzheimer's on the average of five years later than the typical gringo who only spoke one language.

It was then asked if there was any evidence suggesting if there was any evidence that persons who spoke three or four languages like we did in NL would have even more protection before dementia set in.

Sadly the information gathered suggested that whether you spoke two or four languages, your dementia was only delayed by about 5 years more than of the typical gringo who only speaks one language
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 pm

OK then, my brain is officially atrophied. I was finding out some information in Spanish one day and walked back to my granddaughter and explained, in Spanish, what the problem was. I couldn't figure out what had caused the glazed look on her face...I'm a little slow sometimes. Duh! My granddaughter only speaks English.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

gringomojado wrote:One time, while driving, my wife was "giving directions" in Spanish, and the daughter was doing the same in English, this in heavy "Mexican" traffic, talk about shifting gears, I went from 1st to 5th, almost to reverse, which my brain went into!
gm

LOL...I can sure appreciate THAT...A car full of people shouting directions, orders, tengo hambe, tengo sed, pi pi mami, in Spanish, English, Swahili(not really).
Been there, done that. Bilinguals Have Faster, More Adaptive Brains When They Get Older 968748 Ay yai yai

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am

slainte39 wrote:
Sometimes forget how to say something in one language or the other.
Sometimes I forget how to say something in both languages. Shocked

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 am

viajero wrote:
slainte39 wrote:
Sometimes forget how to say something in one language or the other.
Sometimes I forget how to say something in both languages. Shocked

lol! I know what you mean...like the only gear is "neutral".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

Entre mas espanol aprendo, mas ingles pierdo.

Out with the old, in with the new, I guess. scratch
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down