INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this?

+7
bimini6
David
CanuckBob
ronnie
Intercasa
Solovino
canadiangirl
11 posters

Go down

This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this? Empty This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this?

Post by canadiangirl Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:05 pm

MaryM

Group:
Members Posts:
72 Joined:
20-September 09 Posted Today, 08:51 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned the warning put out by the Canadian Gov't today regarding vehicles crossing the Mexico border from the States - 17 people killed yesterday in that area. They are suggesting Canadians do not drive across the border.

canadiangirl

Back to top Go down

This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this? Empty Re: This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this?

Post by Solovino Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm

D'uh! The border encompasses a very wide area. Were they all called at a certain spot on the border or 1 every 250km?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this? Empty Re: This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this?

Post by Intercasa Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Even if 50 people were killed in a city, you have to ask yourself who they were. If they were all drug guys then who really cares. If they were all or mostly Canadians then yes you should care.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by ronnie Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm

CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Tuesday Sep. 21, 2010 1:48 PM ET

Ottawa is warning Canadians planning visits to Mexico to avoid that country's border areas with the United States, lest they become caught up in escalating violence associated with drug cartels.

The Department of Foreign Affairs issued an "official warning" on its travel website Tuesday that said Mexico's northern states are to be avoided "due to continuously high levels of violence linked to drug trafficking in those areas."

The warning also said ""Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico's northern border by land, as shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. Criminals especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks for theft and carjacking."

The warning, the second-highest level of travel alert issued by the department, said Canadians should avoid non-essential travel to the Mexican states of Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Guerrero, Michoacán, Morelos, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Sonora, and Sinaloa.

The violence in those border states is not aimed at foreigners or Canadians in particular, but they risk getting caught up in the growing violence sparked by a government crackdown on drug cartels and shooting wars between rival gangs.

"Armed clashes between security forces and drug groups are commonplace in certain areas and can occur at any time without warning," the department warned. "Travellers could get caught in the crossfire."

The warning also applies to parts of Mexico's southern border with Guatemala.

"While Canadians are not specifically targeted, they risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Law enforcement and police protection are often lacking."

Ottawa has already advised Canadian travellers to exercise caution when visiting the southwest coast of Mexico, which was hit with flooding and landslides after Hurricane Karl passed through the area.

"It is highly advisable to travel to Mexico by air," the department advised.
ronnie
ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Intercasa wrote:Even if 50 people were killed in a city, you have to ask yourself who they were. If they were all drug guys then who really cares. If they were all or mostly Canadians then yes you should care.

Agreed. I haven't heard about any Canadians being killed there lately nor have I heard about any warnings not to drive there (other than what was just posted above). I'll see what's in the paper tomorrow.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:20 am

Canadians only seem to die when drinking too much and falling off balconies or mixing with unsavory characters. They should issue a warning to Canadians to always take a first floor unit, that would save more lives then their other warning!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 am

Friends returned yesterday from Tucson, AZ via Nogales and Hwy 15 without incident. BTW, they are not Canadian. They did encounter military checkpoints along the way.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 pm

There was a small article containing much of the same info as above in the Vancouver newspaper today. I don't believe the warning is based on any one event or death but is more of a broad based "be careful out there" warning which I'm sure we are all aware of by now.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

And that's good advice!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

Copied this from the WhatsupMaz forum :
The reason I posted about the travel alert and the fine print on my health insurance started to unfold a few weeks back. On another forum there was a topic about the accelerated drug violence. Someone responded that if someone got hurt it wouldn't matter anyway because your health insurance wouldn't be any good anyway. So I took out my policy and read the fine print. I have also read several US govt warden messages and wondered why the govt of Canada never issues similar warnings. I found that with the Cdn govt there are 4 levels of warning. The second level was issued on Feb 27 and the third level was issued Sept 21. When and if the fourth and highest level of alert will be issued is anyone's guess. What I know now after this research is that if the fourth and highest level is reached that we have 10 days to get out of the country. I didn't know this before and I don't think many on this forum did either. After the second level of warning was issued on Feb 27, many people thought then that there was little indication of the likelihood of ever reaching a level three. Now that the level three is here, how far into the future will level four be? Again anybody's guess.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am

Do the 10 days have to be sequential? Or can you choose?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 pm

10 days to get out or what????????
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 am

I do not know 10 days or what....I am not Canadian, just posted from another forum. I guess you loose all insurance or something?????

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:39 am

Yeah maybe. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:47 am

Loose insurance can be hazardous to your health.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

This was posted on chapala.com - anyone know anything about this? Empty What happens if you don't get out in 10 days

Post by simpsca Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 am

I'm not Canadian, but it's not clear to me why you have 10 days to get out of Mexico after the highest warning is reached? What happens to you if you don't leave?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 am

10 days go by. No one has posted a source for this claim. If it is true it's likely a warning that all hell is about to break loose.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:37 pm

We returned last night. We crossed in Nogales on Wednesday and had no problems driving a pickup laden with stuff. We took Mex15 driving cuotas whenever possible. Said hello at the two military checkpoints we encountered.
While driving through Mazatlan Friday morning we saw headlines in the Mexican newspapers of the Canadian warnings.
This was our third crossing at Nogales in two years. My husband has been using Laredo 2-3 times a year for the last two years to go to the VA. We are Americans and have had no problems in the two years we've been driving.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:58 pm

I couldn't find anything about travel advisories having different "levels". The only advisories with levels are health warnings like when the H1N1 was going around. I don't believe there is anything that would be done to one's "health insurance" based on travel advisories or at least I couldn't find anything on it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm not Canadian, but it's not clear to me why you have 10 days to get out of Mexico after the highest warning is reached? What happens to you if you don't leave?

Expect no help from the goverment, it was done in Nam and, world war II.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:I'm not Canadian, but it's not clear to me why you have 10 days to get out of Mexico after the highest warning is reached? What happens to you if you don't leave?

Expect no help from the goverment, it was done in Nam and, world war II.

Now what are you mumbling about?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 am

Back to the original topic:

Surprised no one has mentioned the warning put out by the Canadian Gov't today regarding vehicles crossing the Mexico border from the States - 17 people killed yesterday in that area. They are suggesting Canadians do not drive across the border.

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ***)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 am

Sounds like more media hysterics to me... "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
Damn those acorns, anyhow. Peel away all the layers of BS and one finds the truth is a whole lot closer to Spencer's scenario. Lizzy

bounce
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down