INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cute story

+3
Parker
solajijic
hockables
7 posters

Go down

cute story Empty cute story

Post by hockables Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

* From MSN NEWS *

Employee fired after outsourcing his own job to China

A man is out of a paycheque after he was busted for outsourcing his job to China for about a fifth of his six-figure salary.

The software developer outsourced his work to a third-party contractor overseas, and he even went to great lengths to make sure they would be able to access secure computer systems from outside the country.
The whole scam came to light when a security audit on Verizon flagged access from an unusual location.

What investigators found was that someone was accessing the company's virtual private network from a foreign computer, located in Shenyang, China.

The employee actually mailed his RSA key – a special security token – to China. This way, the outsourced contractor would be able to log in and get the work done without a hitch.

The Chinese also logged on at the same time he would usually log on to get work done in America, 9-to-5.

While the American man's company was shifting more of it's staff toward “telecommuting” - working from wherever you are remotely using a computer, this took it to the whole next level.

And instead of working on, well, work, the BBC reports that the man was looking up cat videos, reading stories on Reddit and browsing eBay. He probably also spent some more time with his kids, considering that he was described as a “family man.”

What's more is that the man in his 40s wasn't just scamming Verizon – but possibly other companies as well. According to Net-secuirty.org, logs on his computer suggested “he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area” where he lived.

So if he paid the Chinese contractor about about $50,000 to do the work, and the reports say that sum was one-fifth of his salary, this personal outsourcer was likely pulling in $250,000 a year.

If only he didn't keep PDFs on his computer with the invoices for the outsourced work.

Would you outsource your own work to China for a fifth of your salary?

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

cute story Empty Re: cute story

Post by solajijic Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:33 am

You bet!

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 am

Yes if you don’t do it someone else will, no matter how much you wish they wouldn’t.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:47 am

So when a person outsources his job it is terrible but when a company does it it
is business. Yes I know he violated his contract but I just want you to think
about this. He is actually a clever person a very clever person and I would
interview him for a job if I had a chance. I would like to meet this person and
see what him/her is about.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 am

I just laughed when I read it.
CEO & Board are just pissed he thought of it first!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:So when a person outsources his job it is terrible but when a company does it it
is business. Yes I know he violated his contract but I just want you to think
about this. He is actually a clever person a very clever person and I would
interview him for a job if I had a chance. I would like to meet this person and
see what him/her is about.

Z

I think that he would be interviewing you, dude.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm

If only the Chinese contractor had paid $25,000 to an American to do the work the company would have been none the wiser.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Reminds me of Mark Twain's tale of how the Tom Sawyer outsourced getting his auntie's fence painted.

One does wonder how much "secure" information leaked overseas in the process and what the negative results may have been. One also wonders if he can get himself hired by anyone else after this. You could say he's definitely "proven himself". pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:37 am

gringal wrote:Reminds me of Mark Twain's tale of how the Tom Sawyer outsourced getting his auntie's fence painted.

One does wonder how much "secure" information leaked overseas in the process and what the negative results may have been. One also wonders if he can get himself hired by anyone else after this. You could say he's definitely "proven himself". pirat

Don't wonder at all. Very real problem. Big difference between China and Singapore for IP work. Send it to Singapore if you have any hope at all of secrecy.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down