INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP

5 posters

Go down

DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP  Empty DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP

Post by Chapalamed Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I am interested in starting a support group and/or network for persons with Diabetes and their spouses/partners.

I am finding that it is a bit tricky at times to make certain dietary and life-style modification recommendations to my patients and
friends whom are dealing with this horrible but manageable disease. Some people I've seen have been managing quite well while
others seem to be completely lost when it comes to diet and exercise.

In my past experience it has been helpful for persons who are dealing with diabetes as a patient or who live with somebody with diabetes to have a place to exchange ideas and offer support to one another rather than be told by their doctor/healthcare provider what to do. I think that patients are often encouraged and motivated by the success stories of others who are dealing with similar issues.

I was thinking of offering a space with my professional guidance once a month and limiting it to initially 10-20 people to start off such a group. I would volunteer my services and medical knowledge to answer any questions and clear up any misconceptions that there may exist. In the building I work at there is a limited amount of space but after the initial meeting, folks can perhaps suggest of another
venue to meet regularly.

Is there already such a group in the LAKESIDE AREA? If there is such a group, I'd like the information to be able to refer patients to it.

If not, can I see a virtual show of hands posted or via PM that would be interested in such a group/network?
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP  Empty Re: DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP

Post by Phydgit Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea! It's always helpful to talk with people with the same problems/issues etc.

Phydgit

Back to top Go down

Post by Phydgit Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Sounds like a good idea! It's always helpful to talk with people with the same problems/issues etc.

Phydgit

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am

Please PM me if you are interested and I will let you know when at least 8-10 people are interested. Thanks.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 am

Dr. Santiago, perhaps you could put together a Diabetic Camp (or something like that) for Mexican kids. There is a much greater need for diabetic control and education within the Mexican community in this area. The adults don't seem to get it - continuing their diet of greasy tacos and cokes - but maybe starting diabetic education with the kids would be valuable.

The Tepahua (sp?) community might be a good place to start.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Trailrunner,

Yes, that is a very sad statistical fact that spans both sides of The US/Mexico border. The fastest growing population of diabetics are Mexicans and their children. The HIGH CARB/SUGAR diet and lack of exercise has really hit this population particularly hard. The Mexican Federal Govt. via it's Seguro Popular and OPORTUNIDADES programs has been implementing such programs and are especially targeted to those at risk.
Back in the Sates Family Doctors and Pediatricians are well aware and offer counseling and screening of this population.

I would like to start this Support Group because of the number of patients I am seeing here whom have found certain challenges that are particular to the NOB population in the Lake Chapala area. And I figured that exchanging of ideas and success stories would help encourage others to take the steps necessary to improve their health.

Thanks for your input.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:55 am

Have you had any luck with Nopal along with dietary changes? The support group sounds just great.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am

E-raq wrote:Have you had any luck with Nopal along with dietary changes? The support group sounds just great.
When the doc wanted to put esposo on statins, Nopal was one of the reasons the numbers dropped. The stuff itself isn't a favorite food, so he took the tablets.
Also, a number of dietary changes.........some not fun atall......like eliminating french fries and nicely marbled steaks and juicy burgers, etc.
It's really sad seeing the obesity epidemic here in Mexico. For one thing, the Coca Cola Corp should be strung up by their feet and forced to admit how very bad their product is for people, and how strangely worse is the "diet" variety. It's a little weird to see an obese person having a Diet Coke along with their burger and fries, like that makes it okay? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 pm

gringal wrote:
E-raq wrote:Have you had any luck with Nopal along with dietary changes? The support group sounds just great.
When the doc wanted to put esposo on statins, Nopal was one of the reasons the numbers dropped. The stuff itself isn't a favorite food, so he took the tablets.
Also, a number of dietary changes.........some not fun atall......like eliminating french fries and nicely marbled steaks and juicy burgers, etc.
It's really sad seeing the obesity epidemic here in Mexico. For one thing, the Coca Cola Corp should be strung up by their feet and forced to admit how very bad their product is for people, and how strangely worse is the "diet" variety. It's a little weird to see an obese person having a Diet Coke along with their burger and fries, like that makes it okay? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Bingo, I never touch any product from the Coca Cola Corporation. NONE! Haven't had any for years. In fact even boycotted their shares. Don't need tainted money. Wonder how many people have died from the poison they put out?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm

You folks have brought up some very interesting points.

These are the types of things that I think that a SUPPORT GROUP here would be able to address.

I had a couple of my diabetic patients meet today and exchange some of their success stories and answer each others' questions. I think that all who were involved found it very productive.

Now think I have at least 8 persons who are interested. If you can PM or email me at CHAPALAMED@gmail.com to confirm so I can have enough seating available, that would be great. I was thinking perhaps next Thrus. or Sat. as a potential first day to meet.

Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I have gotten a good amount of responses from enough interested parties to make this group a reality. Please stay posted. I will be setting up the time and date in the next couple of days.

And for those who responded in the past, please respond with name, and contact info to my email address: chapalamed@gmail.com

Thank you.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Time: Tuesday Feb. 26th, 2013 at 10 a.m.

Place: Private residence in AJIJIC.

Please email me at CHAPALAMED@gmail.com for address and directions.

Information/Itinerary -

This will be the first of hopefully many and regular DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP meetings.
At this meeting there will be no sales pitch or solicitation of any sort from anybody, including myself, Dr. Hernandez.
My role will be a support role to educate and clarify any information that a diabetic patient and his/her loved ones should know.

I plan to speak for about 30-45 minutes. I plan to give a brief overview of what diabetes is, it's course, it's complications and how to prevent or curb the progress of such complications.

I will then open the floor to questions that anybody may have and try to answer them as best as I can. I will have to limit this to about 15 minutes.
I will then open the floor to those whom have faced and overcome challenges that a diabetic may have encountered since moving to the Lake Chapala area.

I will provide some refreshments such as diet soft drinks etc.

What to bring:
1. Notebook or Pad and Pencil
2. List of questions and/or challenges
3. Open mind and positive attitude.

I will then close the meeting at 11:30 sharp. I would not like to impose on our gracious guest. I would take suggestions as to how often the group will like to meet.

I will stress that this will not be Dr. Hernandez's (Chapala Med's) group. My role will be only to provide support, education and guidance.
It will be up to it';s members to decide how often to meet and perhaps on future venues etc.

I hope you can make it and I look forward to seeing you there and please forward this information to anybody whom you feel may benefit from such a meeting.

--
Wishing you the best of health,

Santiago Hernandez M.D.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down