INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry nasal membrane

+8
CHILLIN
manymoonsago
ComputerGuy
jrm30655
Smartalex
Trailrunner
seisdedos
Ms.Thang
12 posters

Go down

Dry nasal membrane  Empty Dry nasal membrane

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Mine are worse than usual this year and no amount of saline spray is helping. I've been using this oil called aceite de Gomentolado that feels nice but only helps a little...I know I'm not the only one with this problem...who has a good trick?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Dry nasal membrane  Empty Re: Dry nasal membrane

Post by seisdedos Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm

A humidifier beside the bed at night.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:52 pm

And where do I get one of those?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 pm

What about leaning over a little pot of water on the stove with a towel over your head and inhaling the steam vapors?

All you have to do to add moisture to room air is boil water. I think. Had a humidifier once, didn't do much.

What about dry skin, have a split on my thumb that is killing me? I agree, much worse this year than before. arrrgghh I hate the dry season.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm

I would lay off the saline solution, which is only making your nose drier. Maybe a drop or two of plain water might help.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:And where do I get one of those?

Will you need it delivered also?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Oh that would be lovely, Seis!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Water will just make it worse.

A humidifier will help.

Probably the easiest thing is what people who hike the desert use, Vaseline. A good coating up the nose will last hours.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:13 pm

WalMart carries them, but of course not all the time.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Here's the Mayo Clinic take on the subject: Very Happy

Petroleum jelly is generally safe to use. Rarely, however, inhaling fat-based substances (lipoids) — such as petroleum jelly or mineral oil — for prolonged periods can cause lung problems.

Typically, petroleum jelly applied to the inside of the nostrils drains down the back of the nose with normal nasal secretions and is swallowed. Rarely, small amounts of the jelly can migrate into the windpipe (trachea) and lungs. Over many months, the jelly can accumulate in the lungs — leading to potentially serious inflammation known as lipoid pneumonia.

In some people, lipoid pneumonia causes no signs or symptoms. In others, lipoid pneumonia may cause cough, chest pain or shortness of breath.

Lipoid pneumonia is often detected on a chest X-ray or computerized tomography (CT) scan. Sometimes, the diagnosis is confirmed with a bronchoscopy.

When lipoid pneumonia is caused by petroleum jelly, generally the only treatment is to stop using the petroleum jelly. To relieve nasal dryness without petroleum jelly, use a vaporizer or humidifier or try over-the-counter saline nasal spray. If you must use a lubricant, choose the water-soluble variety. Use it only sparingly, and not within several hours of lying down.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

I went to see the ENT at Integrity - Dr. Carlos Garcia. He recommended that nasal spray - 'isotonic water' which is not really saline and guaifenesin syrup, which thins mucous, I believe it is a natural derived product. It works, but I think that you either ride it out, counting on your sinuses to "toughen up", which they will, or the humidifier. This is a common problem in the frozen parts of Canada and the U.S. where in the winter there is no water vapor in the air - too cold. They get chapped lips too.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:12 pm

When i say saline I mean ¨Öcean¨ nasal spray which is supposed to be close to the fluid your body produces...but it doesn´t help much. Trailrunners suggestion of steam has been the most helpful so far. I satarted running my swamp cooler last night because Seis has not delivered my humidifier yet and that was really helping but it crapped out on me and won´t do the water thing anymore...Honeywell piece of crap.
We have a construction going on next to us and of course the first thing they did was dump a huge pile of dirt right outside soooo...there be dirt everywhere specially up my nose and I guess that is what the real problemo is.
I had forgotten about isotonic water...I will give that a try if I can find it.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Sorry Ms Thang, you are the right track with the Ocean spray. Maybe its the same. It has a dolphin on it and is pressurized. I call it 'dolphin tears' because it is sure priced like it!

I checked out Wickipedia too
Opera singers sometimes refer to guaifenesin as the "wonder drug" for its ability to promote secondary mucosal secretion in the respiratory system. Secondary mucus is the thinner, lubricating mucus that occurs on the vocal folds naturally when they are healthy and well hydrated. Singers use guaifenesin to improve the state of their vocal folds in extremes of humidity (very humid or very dry), after flying long distances, and during mild allergies.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 am

We have a neighbor that must be in the carpentry business because often he does cutting that does disturbs the air, you can even smell it’s fragrant. Now from to time this is not much an issue and he was here before us and this is his livelihood. But sometimes he must get large job and it can go on for days which does create a severe issue for me. Our solution was HEPA filter fans to clean the debris before it actually reaches me. So far, so good, we’ll see.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 am

I wonder why Ocean is so expensive? I can´remember what this cost but it was upwards of $100 mxn bought last year at farmacia guagalajara.
I used to buy isotonic water in a tall spray can in the states but I have never seen it here. It cost like $20.00 USD but when you are trapped in an airplane (very dry air) and it feels like the very lfe is being sucked out of you just whip it out and give yourself a blast in the face with it´s very fine mist....ah, it is heaven in a can. if someone nearby is eyeing you curiously you can spray them too...after you ask but before they can say yes or no. this is how I was introduced to the majjc of isotonic water. Does anyone know if it is sold in these parts?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 am

Coconut oil - amazing stuff: antimicrobial, antifungal, moisturizing
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Another thought on the seawater spray - it actually is seawater from Brittany - it would contain magnesium, in the form of magnesium chloride. When you buy genuine sea salt, this is the ingredient that makes the salt seem 'wet'. It is very important to the body, especially for strong blood, and many people have a deficiency
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 pm

quiltbugj wrote:Coconut oil - amazing stuff: antimicrobial, antifungal, moisturizing

It is amazing stuff!...AND, it is an excellent personal lubricant. I've waited over twelve hours to post that since I wasn't sure what the response would be. Finally figured I should let the ladies know.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm

So smell like a cocnout or briny French Atlantic. I am reminded, in my twisted deteriorating mind of this old commercial - ever been to sea Billy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjv6-WeKT4
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am

The ENT at Integrity told me to use purified almond oil on a cotton swab as well as rinse with saline liquid. But he said the saline is drying and be sure to use the almond oil also inside each nostril. I got it at Farmacia Guadalajara. They also have humidifiers as well as Walmart.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down