INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to find good quality equipal?

+11
Eileen Doyle
slainte39
Pedro
brigitte
egan65
Rosa Venus
joec
DaveP
CheenaGringo
martygraw
Minervajt
15 posters

Go down

Where to find good quality equipal? Empty Where to find good quality equipal?

Post by Minervajt Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Any ideas? thanks!

Minervajt

Back to top Go down

Where to find good quality equipal? Empty Re: Where to find good quality equipal?

Post by martygraw Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Take a drive to Zaqualco de Torres, it is on the free road to Colima. Zaqualco is noted for its fine Equipal.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where to find good quality equipal? Empty Re: Where to find good quality equipal?

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am

Some of the nicest equipale you will ever see can be found at the Adobe in Tlaquepaque: http://www.adobemarthafigueroa.com.mx/index.php?sk=catalogo&cat=1
Certainly not inexpensive but their equipale is made in their own factory and the quality shows.

There is also a shop in Tonala take a left at the main light onto Ave. Tonala and it will be on your left. Some of their details approach those of the Adobe products and they are definitely a step above the norm.

Marty's suggestion is also excellent!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 am

Minervajt wrote:Any ideas? thanks!

Right now we have a high quality equipale maker at the Chili Cook Off. Spend 20 pesos and save a long drive.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 am

Make sure you coat the wood that the chairs are made of with two coats of Pentaprisa or Pentadragon to keep the termites from munching away. Termites love untreated wood.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am

DaveP wrote:
Minervajt wrote:Any ideas? thanks!

Right now we have a high quality equipale maker at the Chili Cook Off. Spend 20 pesos and save a long drive.

I'm not much of an equipale fan, but that stuff at the Cookoff is really impressive. And, yes, I have been to the town - Zacualco de Torres? - before. It's kind of fun to poke around the town and into the shops where it's made, but a trip to the Cookoff would be a really efficient way to see high quality equipale.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by egan65 Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 pm

There are many good shops where you can buy equipal. Try online shopping for this, there are many good sites where you can buy instead of any shop. I think this is a good way to save our time as well as money.

egan65

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm

well I would agree with that if I were in the US but Ajiic is an hour from the place where all the makers come from , I would skip the internet and go and check out the manufacturers directly. Some stores in Tlaquepaque and Tonala have good ones and the Chili cook off and the Maestos de Arte also have great ones.
You cannot check the quality on the internet.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:21 pm

what exactly is "good quality"? i prefer the traditional style and the guy across from soriana in chapala makes that. a chair is $450p. we had an old one that needed the pigskin replaced-$350 with a 3 day turn around.
they are quite comfortable and we have 2 and a love seat on our patio.
the grass ain't always greener.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Pedro wrote:what exactly is "good quality"? i prefer the traditional style and the guy across from soriana in chapala makes that. a chair is $450p. we had an old one that needed the pigskin replaced-$350 with a 3 day turn around.
they are quite comfortable and we have 2 and a love seat on our patio.
the grass ain't always greener.

Agree with you Pedro on this guy, as he has made all of my equipal, or his family which are next to Junky Munky.
He can be a little sloooow, sometimes Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

When one has never shopped anywhere other than WallyWorld, it is virtually impossible to understand what quality, materials and design are all about! WallyWorld, K-Mart, Dollar General and similar type stores are experts at defining the "lack of thought process" to be exclusively based upon price.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eileen Doyle Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm

I managed to find some nice quality bar stools in Tonala. It's worth a try.

Eileen Doyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:57 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:When one has never shopped anywhere other than WallyWorld, it is virtually impossible to understand what quality, materials and design are all about! WallyWorld, K-Mart, Dollar General and similar type stores are experts at defining the "lack of thought process" to be exclusively based upon price.
i never knew these stores carried equipale furniture. as to understanding what quality design and materials are,i believe most of us on here know that. my question was rhetorical. traditional equipale is made from wood and pigskin. that's why ya can't buy a proper pork hock or ham with skin on where ever they make equipale or chicharones here in mexico.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eileen Doyle Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Pedro wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:When one has never shopped anywhere other than WallyWorld, it is virtually impossible to understand what quality, materials and design are all about! WallyWorld, K-Mart, Dollar General and similar type stores are experts at defining the "lack of thought process" to be exclusively based upon price.
i never knew these stores carried equipale furniture. as to understanding what quality design and materials are,i believe most of us on here know that. my question was rhetorical. traditional equipale is made from wood and pigskin. that's why ya can't buy a proper pork hock or ham with skin on where ever they make equipale or chicharones here in mexico.

My barstools are made from wrought iron and pigskin. The quality is excellent, and the price was right.

Eileen Doyle

Back to top Go down

Post by rico Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 am

Brigitte has it right. I went to Zocoalco to check them out and the town is loaded with furniture builders. Good prices, better than here, and you can choose styles I have not seen here in Chapala, some quite beautiful. Many more options available there and they are willing to negotiate, which I haven't found here. About the same drive time as Tonala without the furious traffic issues. See the country!

rico

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 am

I am selling a table and 6 chairs if interested
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 am

We found high quality well cushioned equipal furniture at the Feria des Artes two years ago. The fair will be back in Chapala this fall. Highly recommend it. BTW - my hubby calls the regular equipal furniture "achy pal" -- the cushioning on our stuff makes it nice to sit in for long Domino games etc.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:59 am

holdrja wrote:We found high quality well cushioned equipal furniture at the Feria des Artes two years ago.  The fair will be back in Chapala this fall.  Highly recommend it.  BTW - my hubby calls the regular equipal furniture "achy pal" -- the cushioning on our stuff makes it nice to sit in for long Domino games etc.
we have 2 "ordinary" traditional chairs and a love seat which are well upholstered on the seat and are extremely comfortable.
one was redone because the leather split, by the guy across from soriana for $350p and is still comfortable.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Good quality and comfortable equipales can be found locally, the people here who make them are all from Zacoalco however if you are looking for fancier or different designs, different type of leather or skins and so on you need to go to Zacoalco, Tonala or Tlaquepaque.
A very good maker from Zacoalco is coming to the Feria de Los Maestros this year again. The Feria will take place at the Yacht club betweeen Nov 15 and 17.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm

We bought our equipale from the vendor who was at the Chili Cookoff, but several months before. They are located in Zacoalco and have a cooperative with some other vendors there. The town has dozens of little tallers, and you can drive around to look at many of them. Most are tiny and have a very limited selection. The cooperative that makes the stuff shown at the Cookoff is deep within the bowels of the village, and their "showroom" with samples won't be found by wandering. You can call - the contact is Ramon Hernandez Moreno - and he will meet you at the outskirts of town to lead you to their manufacturing area and showroom.

The manufacturing "tour" is very informative. They will show and explain the process, the quality they use in places you don't see, and let you examine the various materials you can get the furniture made from (pig, cow, and other materials, with different quality and softness levels in the leathers). Then you can go to the showroom where they have examples of various chair/sofa types, so you can test to see which fits you best. There's a surprising difference - we hated some and found them uncomfortable, while others were just right. Order the style you like with your choice of material and finish. They will deliver to you Lakeside for just the price of gas.

Even if you don't end up buying there, it's a nice day trip and good way to learn about how Equipale furniture is made, with your own personal tour guide.

Ramon's phone numbers: landline 01-326-423-1010, cell 045-333-137-1543. He speaks very good English. When you drive to Zacoalco, go past the first entrance into town and you'll come to a "main" entrance with large archway. There's an OXXO (I think) right at the entrance, on the highway. That's a good place to meet Ramon - he originally tried to catch us along the highway, but we missed each other.

The cooperative apparently ships their furniture world-wide, including to hotels and restaurants. They sell at a showroom in Puerto Vallarta, with prices substantially higher than if you work with them directly. We were very happy with the quality of what they made for us, and it was completed and delivered on time. They even made a couple of custom side tables for us from a sketch. I give them a thumbs-up.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down