INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior

5 posters

Go down

Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior Empty Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior

Post by The Postman Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 am

Anyone have any experiences with exterior paints in the Ajijic-Chapala area? Some brands have vinil (vinyl) base and some use acrilica as a base. Which paint base last longer or holds color better? Are they equal or one type of paint better? I am looking at painting exterior of the house. Any input would be welcome.
Bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior Empty Re: Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior

Post by joec Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 am

The Postman wrote:Anyone have any experiences with exterior paints in the Ajijic-Chapala area? Some brands have vinil (vinyl) base and some use acrilica as a base. Which paint base last longer or holds color better? Are they equal or one type of paint better? I am looking at painting exterior of the house. Any input would be welcome.
Bill

I have lived in Ajijic for 11 years and can answer your questions based on experience and doing business with and talking to two highly qualified painters. One is the best painters names ENRIQUE PINEDA is shown below. Two paints best paints are: COMEX VINIMEX Satinado paint and PRISA Poliprisa Satinado paint. They are Vinyl/Acrylica paint. Forget MATTE finish paints. They last half as long. Forget Sherwin Williams. Their colors do not last and there's not enough pigment in their paint. Sherwin Williams inside is good. If you want the best paint job that can last 5 - 7 years follow instructions below.

Specifications for Painting your House
1. Scrape and wire brush off all loose and flaking paint.

2. Power wash entire house to remove loose paint, mildew and generally clean paint

3. Fill all cracks and make repairs.

4. Prime all bare spots and bad areas entire with Berol Block Filler, Prisa PROMETAL or Fester Festerbond. Do NOT prime exterior with the old method of using Sealer, White cement and white paint as it will bleed through the final coats of paint and peel.

5. Paint 2 or 3 full coats of paint as it comes from the can. It may be thinned 10% on the first coat ONLY with clean purified water. If your Contractor wants to thin it, give him a 2.0 litre soda bottle of clean purified water from your tap per 5 gallon (19 liter) bucket. Absolutely no more water than that.

6. Paint finish coats using a 5” or 6” brush or thick nap roller ONLY, NOT A CEPILLIO.
A cepillo does not put on enough of a paint film for durability.

7. Refinishing your wood beams on your Terrace or overhangs: Choose your stain color
and ask your Contractor to mix your stain with Pentadragon or Pentaprisa. This is a clear solution wood product that kills termites.

8. Refinishing your Metal Gates, Doors, Garage, etc: The surfaces must be sanded with
fine sandpaper first, like 220 wet/dry. Choose your color in an “Esmalte”paint, (oil base) in either Semi Gloss or Gloss. You can have your Contractor do this two ways, either by putting on a Red Oxide rust preventative primer first, then 2 finish coats of paint. Or you can have him purchase the paint with the Rust Preventative built in.

9. Ask your contractor for a 5 year Guarantee. The Contractors that I recommended give at least a 5 year Guarantee and checks all his houses before the rainy season and repaints any areas that need it.

Note: Only use COMEX Vinimex paint or PRISA Poliprisa paint. It has a Satinado finish. Matte finish paints are a little cheaper and do not last. Forget using inferior products like Tonal or Sherwin Williams. One portion of my house was painted 7 years ago with COMEX VINIMEX paint and still looks good. I just had Enrique Pineda paint most of my house 2 years ago. He paints many of the houses in Los Arroyos Sur and Los Arroyos as well as Lakeside.

PAINTING - 5 YEAR GUARANTEE - THE BEST
ENRIQUE PINEDA (Speaks perfect English)
Home: 766 3496
Call his cell phone.
Cell ph: 045 333 440 6364

CONSTRUCTION - ALL TYPES - ROOFS - TILE - POOLS - PAINTING
RUBEN “CHINO” CHAVARRIA (Speaks English)
Francisco Villa # 11 - Ajijic
Tel: 766 2327
Call his cell phone.
Cell ph: 045 333 150 9031
See his new website: www.elchinoajijic.com

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior Empty Re: Vinil or Acrilica paint on exterior

Post by The Postman Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks John

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Some good advice. However, I used Prisa paint full strength and it faded the first year. On other posts, people say no Comex and no Prisa. I have seen good results with Tonal paint mixed with sealer and am about to have my painter use that. Others have said that Mexican paints are the worst and to bring paint down from the US.

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 pm

ajijicer wrote:Some good advice. However, I used Prisa paint full strength and it faded the first year. On other posts, people say no Comex and no Prisa. I have seen good results with Tonal paint mixed with sealer and am about to have my painter use that. Others have said that Mexican paints are the worst and to bring paint down from the US.

If your PRISA or COMEX paint failed or lost its color within a year, your painter screwed up the job. Read the above and have your painter follow it to the T. I have Comex VINIMEX Satinado paint on the rear of my house that is 8 years old going on 9.

How long have you lived here and how much experience do you have with high quality painters and contractors?

You said Tonal paint mixed with sealer. You don't need to mix ANY paint with sealer, if you're using a Satinado paint. If you're not using a Satinado paint don't hire that contractor, he doesn't know what he's doing.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:00 pm

It faded mostly on the extreme western side so I suspect the sun. Thanks for the heads up on the Satinado paint.
How long I have lived here has nothing to do with this discussion. Although I own two houses here and have been visiting now and then since 2002, I am always open to new information. I appreciate the information.

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 pm

To answer your original question - acrylic base is considered a more durable base than vinyl (P.V.A.), but it is more expensive . Professionals N.O.B. ask for the MSD (material safety data) sheets looking for "percentage of solids" - this is the percentage of actual resin. This is the expensive part of consumer level housepaint. Only inexpensive pigments are used, some of them are prone to fading. Good blue, black and bright red pigments are especially difficult to find. The longest lasting pigments are the earth pigments. White paint, made with titanium dioxide, is one of the longest lasting and is very U.V. stable.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Are you saying white acrylic paint offers the most benefits? What if I use a pale or klight orange which I assume is mixed with a lot of white? Does that offer good coverage? I can understand that deep colors would fade the most with the intense sun we get.

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:14 pm

John, have you used that Beryl paint? (newer store on the carreterra west end of Ajijic near Roberto's) We bought some and it went on beautifully, with clear colors and easy application.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes - white acrylic with high solids. Orange is a good color because there are earth pigments in that range. There are also brilliant orange dyes which are U.V. stable (Irganazine).

The most interesting orange, I would have to look it up, is a beautiful orange/yellow. It comes from India from a clay that is under the mango trees. The cows browse the mangoes, and their urine stains the clay! Did you know true black is the hardest to get, and one of the most expensive, because it is every color of the spectrum.

The most beautiful color is white lime, nothing is whiter, with a coat of 'smalt' when it is still wet, the smalt combines with the lime (a la true fresco). Smalt is finely ground cobalt blue glass, the lime shines through the glass
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicer Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I am somewhat limited as I live in a frac where the color palette is somewhat limited however what you mention would work. I am a great fan of using colors from nature and natural pigments.

ajijicer

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm

gringal wrote:John, have you used that Beryl paint? (newer store on the carreterra west end of Ajijic near Roberto's) We bought some and it went on beautifully, with clear colors and easy application.

No, I have not used it. I will not change to another paint where I have had good success with both PRISA and COMEX and both expert painters recommend and use it. They would use BEREL if it were better. One does use a BEREL product called Berel Block Filler on all the bare spots. One of those "expert" painters you've probably heard of is Enrique Pineda, a crew of 10 for over 10 years and has worked in CA for 7 years.

My house has 8 years with COMEX VINIMEX Satinado on the rear, still shiny, not faded on the South side and going for 9 years.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Just Googled the COMEX Website:
There are 4 Comex Vinimex products depending on surface sheen:
Comex ULTRA Vinimex - Best for outdoors
Comex Vinimex Easy Clean Vinimex
Comex Satin (Satinado) Vinimex
Comex Matte Vinimex - Flat for indoors

Cheaper Comex paints:
Real Flex Satin
Real Flex Matte
Pro 100 Plus - Construction contractors use this coz it's cheap

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:57 pm

PRISA Poliprisa comes in Satin or Matte - 7 years durability
PRISA Rivinol - 4 years durability
PROS Maxi Revonada - 3 years
PRISA Pentavin - 2 years

Always buy the best. It's worth it in the end.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down