INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SALMON BLISS

+10
hound dog
CHILLIN
brigitte
slainte39
CheenaGringo
ferret
Eileen Doyle
ComputerGuy
Trailrunner
gringal
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SALMON BLISS - Page 2 Empty Re: SALMON BLISS

Post by brigitte Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 pm

cold poached salmon served with a nice garlic home made mayo is not bad either.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Zarandeado I believe starts with a wet rub or paste of garlic and chilis and other spices, which has to be cooked first. Then when dry it's mixed with the mayo. Although there are probably commercials preparations these days...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Farm raised salmon from the Pacific and Chile is always Atlantic Salmon. Part of the reason is thought that if they escape the pens, they cannot propogate in the Pacific. Many doubt this claim. The king of the wild salmon, taste wise, is the Sockeye. Then there are many other sub-species, the least tasty is the Pink Salmon. Many hard core fishermen like the White Spring Salmon. An exotic treat in British Columbia is the freshwater Kokanee - which is a land locked Sockeye the size of a trout.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Finding a great wild salmon at Lakeside, no matter how prepared, is akin to finding a great, properly larded pork butt thereabouts for great Alabama style barbeque sammiches. It simply cannot be done so lets admit it folks, you are dreamng. Since I had the pleasure of working in Seattle and environs for many years while stationed in San Francisico, I had many occasions to eat wild salmon just off the day boat from Bodega Bay to Puget Sound. Do not jive Dawg about wild salmon at Lakeside or pork butt BBQ in Birmingham. Spend your time shining on Midwestern rubes who think high cuisine is boiled cabbage with Heinz ketchup.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Farm raised salmon from the Pacific and Chile is always Atlantic Salmon. Part of the reason is thought that if they escape the pens, they cannot propogate in the Pacific. Many doubt this claim. The king of the wild salmon, taste wise, is the Sockeye. Then there are many other sub-species, the least tasty is the Pink Salmon. Many hard core fishermen like the White Spring Salmon. An exotic treat in British Columbia is the freshwater Kokanee - which is a land locked Sockeye the size of a trout.
And a beer. But smaller than a trout.

Now, trout, there's a fish.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Copper River Salmon isn't shabby either!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Another easy way to cook salmon

stuff it with chopped veggies, add salt and pepper, wrap it in aluminum foil twice.
Stick it in the dishwasher and run it through two cycles.

A friend of mine from Belgium did this and served the salmon with a beurre blanc sauce, it was delicious.

We all were surprised when she opened the dishwasher rather than the oven but something else was cooking in the oven.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm

brigitte wrote:Another easy way to cook salmon

stuff it with chopped veggies, add salt and pepper, wrap it in aluminum foil twice.
Stick it in the dishwasher and run it through two cycles.

A friend of mine from Belgium did this and served the salmon with a beurre blanc sauce, it was delicious.

We all were surprised when she opened the dishwasher rather than the oven but something else was cooking in the oven.

lol getoutahere...................................
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:46 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Farm raised salmon from the Pacific and Chile is always Atlantic Salmon. Part of the reason is thought that if they escape the pens, they cannot propogate in the Pacific. Many doubt this claim. The king of the wild salmon, taste wise, is the Sockeye. Then there are many other sub-species, the least tasty is the Pink Salmon. Many hard core fishermen like the White Spring Salmon. An exotic treat in British Columbia is the freshwater Kokanee - which is a land locked Sockeye the size of a trout.

Farm raised Chilean salmon is atlantic salmon for the simple reason that the chileans got the technology from the Norweigans who perfected salmon farming. The fish are fertile so no breeding.

While I agree that sockeye from Copper River is superb I find the spring run of Chinook in the Columbia river system to be superior. But that's just my taste. BTW, lots of Kokanee in OR and WA too, so we don't consider it an "exotic treat," simply damned good salmon!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Nope! What Brigitte says is true in certain circles. I have even heard of a similar technique to cook a turkey in a dishwasher: http://www.appliance.net/2009/cook-your-holiday-turkey-in-the-dishwasher-1539

Not my idea of a good time but there are so many definitions for cooks or chefs!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by torre Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:50 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Nope! What Brigitte says is true in certain circles. I have even heard of a similar technique to cook a turkey in a dishwasher: http://www.appliance.net/2009/cook-your-holiday-turkey-in-the-dishwasher-1539

Not my idea of a good time but there are so many definitions for cooks or chefs!

Yes it works, but I have no idea for certain, haven't tried it myself.

torre

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm

A turkey! You'd have to run the dishwasher for 5 hours! You guys are whacked. lololol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Trailrunner:

I didn't endorse the cooking method - I just said it was out there. One wouldn't have to go back all that many years to realize that you were pre-deep fried turkeys either!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

David:

I fished or snagged for Kokanee when I lived in Colorado and we have them here in New Mexico also. My opinion based on personal experience, is that Kokanee are right tasty when line caught in a cold water lake or snagged when they first school up in the fall. They freeze up really well in milk cartons for use later in the year.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Dawg: before offering your expert opinion, it would make sense to actually try out the dark red pricey salmon at the Lakeside Meat Market. As a fellow former West Coaster, I know from salmon.

Checking this out might be difficult while you're in the hinterlands of Chiapas, though.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Ahhhh! If only they could get Steelhead here! Much better than Salmon.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm

A friend used to bring me char from the northern Hudson Bay area... same family, yum.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:40 am

"CHILLIN" , would you be referring to this species "White Spring Salmon" as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_salmon

Chinook salmon:

The Chinook is blue-green,red or purple on the back and top of the head with silvery sides and white ventral surfaces. It has black spots on its tail and the upper half of its body. Its mouth is often dark purple to black. Adult fish range in size from 24 to 36 in (610 to 910 mm) but may be up to 58 inches (1,500 mm) in length; they average 10 to 50 pounds (4.5 to 23 kg), but may reach 130 pounds (59 kg). The current sport-caught world record, 97.25 pounds (44.11 kg), was caught on May 17, 1985 in the Kenai River (Kenai Peninsula, Alaska). Some were found dead at well over 100 lb. The commercial catch world record is 126 pounds (57 kg) caught near Rivers Inlet British Columbia in the late 1970s.[8]

Source: Wiki

The reason I am asking is a Native Washintonion, an old friend of mine told me that the white salmon don't eat shrimp. I have eaten it and it is wonderful. I went ahead and googled it and he was right, I think..Anyway read what NYT has to say:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/20/dining/the-catch-of-the-moment-white-salmon.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

CheenaGringo wrote:David:

I fished or snagged for Kokanee when I lived in Colorado and we have them here in New Mexico also. My opinion based on personal experience, is that Kokanee are right tasty when line caught in a cold water lake or snagged when they first school up in the fall. They freeze up really well in milk cartons for use later in the year.
We used to go to Odell Lake near Willamette pass and fish for kokanee. They were usually at ~100 feet down. We'd freeze them in ziplock bags and also can them. We'd eat them fresh while there. I smoked the frozen ones and she made salmon salad with the canned.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 am

The Chinook has many variations. The big ones, which locals call "slabs" in Southern B.C., are subbed as "Tyee". The Northern Tyee get really big and I grew up on the Skeena River right where the previous world record of 93 lbs was caught. In the Northern B.C. backroads there were lakes where you can easily catch 100 rainbow trout a day, then the lakes warm up and they get worms and die out. The Copper River there was famous for Steelhead and Coho. So many Sockeye that the natives used to just cut the bellies out and throw the rest away. They treasured the eggs as well. Also home to the Eulechin, Candle Fish, that they used to ferment into a stinky mushy oil and trade all the way down the coast.

When I grew up there it was as a wild jungle savage, under the protection of a paramilitary organization, better known as the Boy Scouts. Worshipping our leader, Lord Baden Powell, sweeping through the forest like cutter ants devouring forests to make our camps and fires.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 am

I should have added the locals of South B.C. also call the big Chinooks "Smilies" and they also call the Tyees "King Salmon". My sister's ex handlines for Halibut with 200 lb test line. These are called "Barndoors". I actually prefer Halibut over Salmon but they are hellishly expensive now.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Us Oregonians call them "barn doors" too!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Maybe this will be the year that Costco Mexico will carry some of the salmon products one normally finds in the NOB stores? Should you see their Copper River Sockeye bags in the freezer case, we can attest to their quality:
[img]SALMON BLISS - Page 2 Oos35010[/img]

We have also tried their Steelhead and been fairly satisfied. At our local stores, they have had various pre-marinated packages of salmon and we haven't been pleased with those products.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2