INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy

+7
saege007
solajijic
quiltbugj
borderreiver
brigitte
ComputerGuy
sm1mex
11 posters

Go down

Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy Empty Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy

Post by sm1mex Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Anyone know where to buy concentrate frozen orange juice? I need it for cooking.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy Empty Re: Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

I have never seen it here in 10 years.

I see via the Weeb that orange marmalade can be used, adjusting for sweetness, in its place: http://www.ehow.com/list_7453306_substitutes-orange-juice-concentrate.html. Be careful when shopping because most Mexican jam is called mermelada.

ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy Empty Re: Frozen Concentrate Orange Juice-where to buy

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Good site, they also tell you how to make it by freezing the orange juice and collecting the juice that comes out when it first thaws.
I wonder if you could make it by cooking down the juice slowly?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Why don't you find out what the concentration ratio is then reduce fresh oj by that amount ?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

also chec if there is sugar added. I would throw some zest in the oj I reduce just o intensify the orange flavor.

Now I have to know , what are you going to cook?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm

I'd just sub fresh oj for the amount of liquid included in the recipes. Especially if your are planning on baking the liquid/dry ratio needs to be kept the same for good results. If for a marinade, then just sub for part or all of the liquid.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Yeah, but you can't get the flavour with the same amount of juice. That's why the need for the concentrate. Which is a good kind of reverse-engineering.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am

We cooked a pork roast in the crock pot with an orange juice recipe, but after cooking in the crock and making more of it's own juice, the o.j. didn't have much flavor and was very week, so wanted to try concentrate to have the o.j. flavor stronger.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

How about taking the juice throwing a bunch of zest and reduced orange juice and reducing the juice, that should concentrate all the flavors. You may want to take the roast while the oj and juice are reducing and flame the thing with some orange liquor as well.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am

Aha! For the pork roast use a orange juice reduction in the crock pot - no sugar added or it will burn and then use sugar free orange marmalade, thin it abit with water, and baste for the last 15 minutes or so.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

what about adding some orange extract in with it? to boost the flavor?
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Maybe if a bunch of us asked Walmart or Pancho at Superlake to import it...

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

I would never have asked that, because we get so much fresh orange juice hand-squeezed here... but I never had a need for it in cooking yet, either.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 pm

sm1mex wrote:We cooked a pork roast in the crock pot with an orange juice recipe, but after cooking in the crock and making more of it's own juice, the o.j. didn't have much flavor and was very week, so wanted to try concentrate to have the o.j. flavor stronger.

Use the juice from bitter oranges, naranja agria instead, as used in cochinita pibil.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm

I see that Friso orange juice concentrate is available at CostCo, and via Lakeside Express delivery, in a 1.1 litre bottle.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm

About 2 years ago I found Great Value frozen orange concentrate in the freezers at Walmart in Ajijic. I don't know if they still have it but they definitely did in the past.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 pm

It's at SL, I saw it yesterday in the freezers I think where the frozen breads are.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Today at Costco on Lopez Mateos there was lots of Kirkland brand frozen orange juice concentrate in the freezers. It was a package of 6 containers of 454 grams each and the price was $129 pesos.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down