INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casa Gourmet

+11
hockables
ComputerGuy
saege007
brigitte
hound dog
zenwoodle
CanuckBob
Grizzy
quiltbugj
sm1mex
Trailrunner
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Casa Gourmet Empty Casa Gourmet

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 am

Anybody shopped there yet? Lots of stuff? Prices?
Think I'll go check them out today.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Casa Gourmet Empty Re: Casa Gourmet

Post by sm1mex Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 am

Yes. It's like walking into a store in the U.S. Many, many things. Some things are pricey but they are name brand, gourmet and imported. They have a big oriental section, including miso, gluten free products, Vermont maple syrup and lots more. They don't have all the items priced yet. You can even buy clam juice !

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am

Woo hoo!
Do they have produce and fish/meats?

Thanks, sm1mex.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 am

No produce, fish or meat. They do have canned anchovies and smoked oysters but not fresh. It is mainly all canned, jar, or box products.
My friend was in there and found ginger snap cookies and bought some.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 am

We were in yesterday and found the prices quite reasonable considering the fact that all is imported. We live in a large east coast city NOB - so we are used to higher prices. Definitely worth the $ when you need a particular item. They also a a lot of jarred spices.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Red licorce, what we called twizzlers in Canada. It has promise. I found some cajun spices and mustard.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 pm

So where is this place located?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Next door to HSBC in Laguno Centro.
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Casa Gourmet, eh, as our friends from the frozen tundra like to say. With a name like that we can expect chocolate covered ants and prepackaged snails with a canned sauce. What a hick town.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Just because a store falls under expectation does not mean the town is a hick town, hopefully the store manager or owners can listen to their customers and come up with items people want at a good price. We will see.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I want to check it out and see if they are able to get cans of mock duck. It's one of the few things I have to have muled down here. That and nutritional yeast flakes.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Saege007, you will get Braggs nutritional yeast flakes at SL starting today, tomorrow. . . There is a guy there now, Juan, who is doing the ordering and I've been talking to him a lot lately. He ordered that product and it is probably there by now. Great product! I asked for Tempeh too, but he said bringing refrigerated products down is a challenge for him. He has the ability to bring dry goods and frozen goods but refrigerated hasn't been worked out yet.

Went to the Casa Gourmet, just grocery items for now, the very personable young man at the counter said they plan to have refrigeration and will be able to carry refrigerated products. He said it is a family business, one store here and one in PV with distribution out of San Diego, CA. Lots of grocery items. Prices not too bad, what you'd expect, some things not found at SL but most can be found at SL.

Also had a great conversation with Bernardo and his partner at Ajijic Meat Center. I really like those people and he works very hard to get anything and everything we want. The wild salmon arrived while I was there just now. He can get halibut as he has found someone in Guad to share the fish with, he has to buy the whole frozen halibut. He will have it regularly, check with him for when. He priced it out for me and said the steaks will be between 60 and 90 pesos depending on size. He also said he'll make chicken burgers tomorrow. He also received a block of frozen, picked and cleaned crab meat, smelled delish and fresh. I forget the exact price but was surprised it wasn't bad.

Provecho!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Grizzy wrote:Red licorce, what we called twizzlers in Canada. It has promise. I found some cajun spices and mustard.
Hey! I've been buying those for quite some time at WalMart, the actual brand name... although, very expensive.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Saege007, you will get Braggs nutritional yeast flakes at SL starting today, tomorrow. . . There is a guy there now, Juan, who is doing the ordering and I've been talking to him a lot lately. He ordered that product and it is probably there by now. Great product! I asked for Tempeh too, but he said bringing refrigerated products down is a challenge for him. He has the ability to bring dry goods and frozen goods but refrigerated hasn't been worked out yet.

Good to know, though I currently have a massive amount my friend brought down to me! The mock duck is canned. I have a label from a previous can I had. I like to make mock duck with potatoes and onions or pad thai with mock duck.

saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm

saege007 wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Saege007, you will get Braggs nutritional yeast flakes at SL starting today, tomorrow. . . There is a guy there now, Juan, who is doing the ordering and I've been talking to him a lot lately. He ordered that product and it is probably there by now. Great product! I asked for Tempeh too, but he said bringing refrigerated products down is a challenge for him. He has the ability to bring dry goods and frozen goods but refrigerated hasn't been worked out yet.

Good to know, though I currently have a massive amount my friend brought down to me! The mock duck is canned. I have a label from a previous can I had. I like to make mock duck with potatoes and onions or pad thai with mock duck.

And the Duck said " Are U Mocking Me?"

really... what is Mock Duck ?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

hockables wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck

saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

saege007 wrote:
hockables wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck

Yuk.....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm

yuk indeed! real duck available at wallyworld right now and puritan chicken by order.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Never said you guys had to like it! It's vegetarian, that is the point, that it is not meat.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Well.... If it Quacks like a Duck.............
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 pm

From some of the comments I am reading on TOB, it isn't hard to figure out why so many businesses and restaurants frequently go out of business. The total lack of customer loyalty is beyond amazing to me. So some will shop at the new Casa Gourmet to teach SL a lesson but it would be a very safe bet that SL will be around a great deal longer. For one thing, from previous reports, their rent (overhead) and business volume will dictate their pricing or they may be a very short term "flash in the saute pan".

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:08 pm

I haven't read TOB but SL doesn't have anything to worry about, as of now anyway. Agree with what you're saying and I have no intention of turning away from SL. If there was something or an ingredient I absolutely had to have (can't imagine what that would be) and I couldn't get it at SL I might try the other place to see if they had it.

There were a few other people in there when I was just casing the place too and none of them bought anything either.

As said earlier, I was at Ajijic Meat Center today too, bought some wild salmon and some sun dried tomato chicken sausage and it's really good. It's in patties, rather than in casing but they're working to try to fill the sausage and meatball gap left by BD. Check with them in a few days and I think you'll find some good new stuff there.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

There is a Casa in Puerto Vallarta as well. This is well run company with gold plated connections. Not that the bottom line is important.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Trailrunner:

I guess I spent too many years in the specialty wholesale/retail businesses? Be it retail businesses, wholesale businesses that we deal with for our import company or restaurants - people, businesses or restaurants earn our loyalty based upon how we are treated and price may be a 10%, 15% or maybe 20% part of the equation.

One point of real confusion is the statement by CHILLIN: "Not that the bottom line is important."?
Just what are we trying to say here?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 pm

CG, read the sentence just before it: This is a well run company with gold plated connections. 'nuff said
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next