INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olive oils

+3
ferret
espíritu del lago
ComputerGuy
7 posters

Go down

Olive oils Empty Olive oils

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:41 pm

I keep regular olive oil, virgin, and extra virgin in my cupboard. I have different uses for each of them. I find the "extra" too potent for many dishes, but a definite must for some dishes.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Olive oils Empty Re: Olive oils

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:54 pm

I assume you have heard about the ovile oil scandel:
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/oliveoil.html

I use this as a guide when purchasing:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/more-shopping-storing/olive-oil-buying-checklist-00000000041460/index.html
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Hah, every single food item--whether I personally like it or not--has some "scandal" associated with it.

I'm waiting for something like "the human hair scandal": Scientific studies have shown that growing your own hair is hazardous to your health and may cause infertility, loss of hormones, and rock-star-itis"...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Tel youl what, If I like something no matter what is said, unless someone, dropped dead and there is 100 percent proof.. I ignore what is being said. When it come to surgery and medicine I will wait and wait and when the bad news comes out, I had no problem. After 10 years no bad news I might try it. Now if it was life threatening I would take my chances.

I still eat eggs, bacon , salt, butter, steak, fish you name it. I am still here and I I smoke.

I am to the point I don't believe any study, anything the government tells me and only 50 percent of what people I know tell me. I go with my gut instinct and it works 85 percent of the time. I have found when my instinct failed me I chose to ignore it.

In this world there are some very gullible, naive people. The rest are either stupid or evil. You are your own best friend.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Agreed. I really should publish a scientific study concerning my own World Famous Spaghetti Sauce (made without any olive oils at all, just burger meat fat...). I swear you will never get cancer if you eat my sauce regularly. It's a recipe passed down for several generations, and no one in the family has had that godawful disease.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Apparently the Italians have taken over the number one spot for longevity...it used to be the Brits. Two more different cuisines I can't imagine. Go figure.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bman2 Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:22 am

I've used Colavita extra virgin olive oil for many years, mild tasting and delicious, same one Italian chef Lidia uses on her PBS cooking show.
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 am

Actualy the last time I look Japan and Swizerland had the longest longevity in the word and olive oil is not part of their diet-

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am

HelperGuy wrote:Agreed. I really should publish a scientific study concerning my own World Famous Spaghetti Sauce (made without any olive oils at all, just burger meat fat...). I swear you will never get cancer if you eat my sauce regularly. It's a recipe passed down for several generations, and no one in the family has had that godawful disease.

I don't think that the burger meat fat had anything to do with the family cancer free history, do you....really? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

But there is something to be said for for not worrying about everything you eat being bad for your health. Eat and drink what tastes good, if you are a few pounds overweight in good health and you are happy you will live longer. Might as well enjoy life instead of trying to do everything just because somebody said you should. While I am on earth I plan on being as happy as possible.

It is pretty simple really. I eat too much I get fat. I drink too much I get hung over. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I couldn't remember where I read that about Italy and Great Britain, so I went hunting...and I'm wrong.
This is for 2012...info is based on CIA info...if we can believe it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240855/How-does-nation-rank-world-map-life-expectancy.html
By the time you get to eighty, what's plus or minus 3 years. Britain is number 30 with an average age of 80.17 years...U.S. is number 51 with an average age of 78.49...Canada is number 12 with an average age of 81.48...Italy is number 10 with an average age of 81.86 and Monaco is number 1 with an average age of 89.68.
Actually not that big a spread between 5 and 30...enjoy life...it's probably what you already ate and did for the first 65 years that's gonna make the difference...for many of us there's no point changing now. :) Que sera sera.

Last edited by ferret on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 pm

You're right, Espiritu.....up to a point. Most people don't listen to their bodies, and obesity is a huge problem both NOB and here in Mexico. The liquid of choice to treat thirst seems to be sugary sodas, Coca Cola in particular.
The food of choice seems to be spicy, salty and greasy. This is the result of habits formed along the way, not of intelligent consideration of what will promote good health on the long term. If you grew up in a deep fried environment such as Southern USA, chances are that will be your comfort food: not fruits, vegetables and lean meals.

You don't need to cross off certain foods altogether because somebody said so, but if you expect to enjoy good health on the long term without a cupboard full of pills to keep you going, it doesn't hurt to use the brains you were born with to make smart food choices.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:10 pm

gringal wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Agreed. I really should publish a scientific study concerning my own World Famous Spaghetti Sauce (made without any olive oils at all, just burger meat fat...). I swear you will never get cancer if you eat my sauce regularly. It's a recipe passed down for several generations, and no one in the family has had that godawful disease.

I don't think that the burger meat fat had anything to do with the family cancer free history, do you....really? Rolling Eyes
Haha, no, I was pointing out that I don't use olive or any other oils in the sauce...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:24 pm

gringal wrote:You're right, Espiritu.....up to a point. Most people don't listen to their bodies, and obesity is a huge problem both NOB and here in Mexico. The liquid of choice to treat thirst seems to be sugary sodas, Coca Cola in particular.
The food of choice seems to be spicy, salty and greasy. This is the result of habits formed along the way, not of intelligent consideration of what will promote good health on the long term. If you grew up in a deep fried environment such as Southern USA, chances are that will be your comfort food: not fruits, vegetables and lean meals.

You don't need to cross off certain foods altogether because somebody said so, but if you expect to enjoy good health on the long term without a cupboard full of pills to keep you going, it doesn't hurt to use the brains you were born with to make smart food choices.

So well said, Gringal, I totally agree and I see proof of it over and over again in the medical field.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Well thanks, trailrunner. Now tell me, WHOSE PICTURE is that?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down